Didn't know how to reply

Old 05-03-2020, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Didn't know how to reply

AS started calling the liquor store after 72 days sober. (most of you know he doesn't live near us, he is on my cell phone plan and yes I do check his phone logs). I have a counselor and I told him that I don't want to be "fooled" and think all is great so that is why I look at the phone logs.My son has a girlfriend. Their relationship was bad and then he decided to get sober again.
He seemed to have gone silent which is also a sign that he has relapsed. He did call home a few weeks ago and my husband said he sounded great as did my parents. I could not talk to him or even listen in and hear his voice.he sent me a text yesterday and then sent me a pic of a card his gf got him about recovery since he couldn't go to a meeting for his 90 day chip.... I was dumbfounded. I didn't know how to even reply. Seriously, if he is calling the liquor store 21 days out of 30, I find it hard to believe he is not drinking.
I replied the card was nice and that soon it will be 120 days. Didn't know what to text back. Really wanted to say something working hard and glad he didn't go back down that road but I didn't know if it was appropriate.
Any ideas on what to say if he brings it up again
Old 05-03-2020, 05:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can just leave it be. You know what you know. He knows what he knows. If he is doing what you think he is doing then this facade is unsustainable.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Personally I have learnt is best not to comment, not to get involved.
With my AH I would gently change the subject. No response seems the healthiest option all round.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If I had to guess, the last three years he was alive, 90% of my conversation with him amounted to me saying,"Mmmm-hmmm." That's no joke. I also stopped checking up on his drinking habits. He was an adult who made his own choices, and me being up-to-date on how much he was consuming made not one bit of difference in his lifestyle.
"I replied the card was nice and that soon it will be 120 days."
Why would one do that, knowing it to be a lie?
Does checking up on his phone activity enhance your son's sense of self-esteem? How does it benefit YOU other than that 'gotcha' quotient?