Notices

Threw up, not well today

Old 05-03-2020, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Threw up, not well today

Bit of a red herring thread title as I’m still 16 months sober and plan to stay so forever. However, last night, I guess I ate too much and was sick in the night. That’s not happened for a long time. Almost back to normal now.
I realised, though, that the way I felt this morning was the norm during my drinking days. Normally now I wake up feeling great and hungry for breakfast.
Further proof, although none was needed, for me to steer clear of booze, which isn’t hard now as the cravings are very rare and weak.
There’s no complacency, though. Whilst I might now be a triathlete (an average one) and look healthy, I’m an alcohol dependent/heavy drinker/alcoholic in remission and will be for life. There are sadly too many stories on here of people relapsing after just one drink. I’m no different, and I know if I drank, my mindset would do a U-turn, I’d find reasons to drink again and it’s just too grim to think about.
Stay safe. Don’t take that first drink.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great update, Hogg, and I do not mind the red herring at all.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome post Hodd. Nothing like a brief bout with a food-borne illness or some such thing to remind us how miserable life was when we were inflicting those same wounds on ourselves every single day. Now I watch the sunrise every morning and am so happy to be able to drink my coffee, do my crossword and be grateful for the quiet and daily peace. Now we get to have that every day. And it is free!!!
Old 05-03-2020, 06:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Over the yrs in my sober life I have gotten sick which is never a good thing to ever go thru. However, my tummy sickness or motion sickness, dizziness related to bending down to long and rising up too fast, or eating foods that don't mix well, were not alcohol addiction related.

These instances did make me pause and remember the feelings related to alcohol hangovers back in the day before I entered recovery 29 yrs ago.

In a way, they are small blessings to be a constant reminder of where I never want to go back to. Back to the insanity and rollercoaster ride of craziness that came with my alcohol addiction.

Id never wish for anyone to go thru food poisoning, which I did several times and wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy, but would take that sickness along with antibiotics to get rid of it anytime over returning to my addiction.

Stay the course. Stay strong. Stay responsible in your own recovery. SR support behind you all the way.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
Now I watch the sunrise every morning and am so happy to be able to drink my coffee, do my crossword and be grateful for the quiet and daily peace. Now we get to have that every day. And it is free!!!

My wife and I lived abroad for several years. I was a drinker throughout that time. Last year I went back there to show a visiting friend the sights. There was a huge Saturday morning food market going on outside our old apartment. It was amazing, so I sent some photos back to my wife. She said “so what?” She’d gone to that market every Saturday whilst I was asleep or too hungover to go out.
I can laugh at myself now, but I’m sad to have missed out on so much due to drink.
I’m rewatching a few shows on Netflix now with the extra time we all have. I thought Better Call Saul was a slow-moving legal show first time around as I was half asleep/drunk watching it. Now I can see it’s clever and well-written, and I don’t remember half the storylines from my previous viewing!
Old 05-03-2020, 01:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's the first drink that does the damage.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not worth starting a new thread for such ramblings…

Feel rough this morning. I’m probably a bit compulsive when it comes to eating - no doubt a major factor in why I drank so much - and ate way too much last night. I don’t really care about this as I’m active and the weight stays off, but I woke up twice last night coughing with acid reflux due to all that food inside me. I’ll be fine in an hour or so, but this used to happen every night when I drank. The stories about drinkers choking in their sleep aren’t a big surprise.

So I’ve got some serious calories to burn off today. There’ll be no harm done which is something I wouldn’t be able to say if I’d drunk. I like these “rough days” as they’re like a hangover without the alcohol. A good reminder of the old me 🙂