Notices

Day 2

Old 04-28-2020, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Well I’ll try to make this as succinct as possible. I was in AA for 5.5 years, drank in October 2019, have been moderating since then. When I became sober no one in my life thought I had a problem however I decided it was best for myself and my family to stop all together. Now it has been several months and I would like to pause on drinking for at least 30 days. My drinking is as follows: I can stop at one drink, sometimes have more than one , maybe three, not really hard to stop . I do think about drinking. I feel hungover at times and hate that. Prior to quarantine I didn’t have a thought about a drink during the week. Now that I’m at home all the time it’s on my mind more. Can you be alcoholic and only drink 2-6 drinks a week! Â
Old 04-28-2020, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Re: Day 2

Originally Posted by Hereandnow2 View Post
Can you be alcoholic and only drink 2-6 drinks a week!

Yes, you can. Being an alcoholic isn't about how often or even how much you drink. It's more about how you feel when you drink and what drinking does to you.
This pandemic is stressful for most of us and the fact you are drinking more now sounds like it's concerning for you. Stopping drinking for 30 days sounds like a good start.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Re: Day 2

Hi Hereandnow2. I don't think you should look for a number to stay under every week and I don't think labels are that critical either. What you should focus on is why you quit in the first place back in the day. You said quitting was best for yourself and your family and thought it best that you stop drinking altogether. I imagine all of that still holds true and you don't need to look for any other reasons than taking care of yourself and your family.

Long term, moderation is not a sound strategy at all. Collective experience tells us that it simply doesn't work with us addicts. Again too, all the reasons you stopped drinking are still true.
Welcome back to posting and I hope you quit drinking for good.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back hereandnow2

I think you should go for gold - you know drinkings no good for you.
Go for total permanent abstinence.
It is possible - and all it ask of you is you do it one day at a time
D
Old 04-28-2020, 05:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope our support can help you get sober for good this time.
Old 04-28-2020, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If it is bothering you ...it IS a problem...period.So I hope you are doing good and ready to take the 30 day plunge...life is so much better without alcohol...food tastes better (mainly cause I didn't eat drinking..lol)...family seems better....life seems better and is better...so just go for it!