Notices

Major Urges

Old 04-21-2020, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Major Urges

On day 43 - really struggling. Waiting for things to get easier but just bored with life and struggling to see the point.

Im in AA but too shy to get a sponsor and just generally fed up. After a long day at work with the sun out, I just fancy a drink,

I won’t do it but worrying I’m heading towards relapse.

Sorry if this sounds like a moan but thought I’d reach out.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

good of you to post before the "urge" to drink become the act of drinking.

It's normal for early recovery to be difficult. It's normal to feel like drinking. But a feeling can't make us drink. Bring to the forefront of your mind why you quit in the first place. Overcome your shyness and reach out to someone in AA. These are tough times, but drinking won't make them any easier.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you'll find that getting through this urge today, it will make it easier the next time it happens. I'm glad you posted about your feelings and I know that you can get through this.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good on you for posting before you drink and not after. Certain things trigger us, sounds like sunshine and an honest days work makes you want a drink. For me, its music. Can't even listen to it much anymore. Good job on 43 days.
Old 04-21-2020, 10:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your responses - your absolutely right about certain triggers. I can’t even watch movies without wanting a drink.

i shall keep going and I am so glad I posted here...the urge is now passing. 🙏 Thanks all
Old 04-21-2020, 10:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good work reaching out before reaching for a drink! It gets better as you build bigger sober muscles from times just like these
Old 04-21-2020, 11:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wegoagain View Post
On day 43 - really struggling. Waiting for things to get easier but just bored with life and struggling to see the point.

Im in AA but too shy to get a sponsor and just generally fed up. After a long day at work with the sun out, I just fancy a drink,

I won’t do it but worrying I’m heading towards relapse.

Sorry if this sounds like a moan but thought I’d reach out.
Thanks for sharing this, Wego.

I think I know how you feel.

I was very shaky in my sobriety early on. It actually lasted for a while.

In the Big Book, Bill was relieved of his desire to drink immediately, while it took a year and a half for Dr. Bob.

I'm more of a Dr. Bob kind of guy in that respect.

But it doesn't matter, because I just worked the program as hard as I could with my sponsor and my fellow AA friends and I stayed sober.

I hope that you do the same, brother.

Thanks again for bringing up this important topic.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi wegoagain

Boredom can be beaten by action, so can our alcoholism.

I appreciate the fact you're shy, but as most meetings are online right now, doesn't that help a little in approaching people?

D
Old 04-21-2020, 04:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 43 days. I al in AA too. I had to find a mental defence against that first drink. A Power Greater than me. When I wanted to drink and I DID want ti drink despite my last binge nearly killing me, I would pray to my HP to not let me pick up a drink, restore me to sanity. THINK THINK THINK that first drink all the way through to the bitter end, it is the FIRST drink that does the damage. Serenity Prayer over and over. Then put in some action come and post here, which you did, well done!!! Or get into an AA zoom meeting, have you done any? Do you have a home group? I would suggest trying ti find a sponsor even if you ask someone to be your temporary sponsor. I am shy too but I prayed for courage and asked someone because I wanted to save my life. If someone is unable to do it please do not feel dejected or take it personally. The first lady I asked couldn't sponsor me. I asked someone else and they said yes. Working the steps is what has changed me and today the obsession to drink isn't there.

❤🙏❤🙏
Old 04-21-2020, 06:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know your AV will say a drink will just end this boredom. It's not going to cure boredom for very long. A drink is going to make it worse.

If you drink soon you will be bored AND at the mercy of that garbage. Trying to get sober again will only be more difficult. The obsession will only get its self back together and come back stronger.

Its not the 1st drink, and the 2nd drink, and the 12th and the 17th. It's all the same drink. It's all one continuous spiral into hell. Just how long will this be enjoyable? My guess is not very long, it will get boring quickly and the next morning will be physical and mental misery. For most it's either drinking at home and sitting on the couch or at a bar sitting on a bar stool. AV has us convinced that sitting on a couch or a bar stool is suddenly going to be some great deal of fun. As if this is suddenly fun because of a chemical that may mask the boredom for a little while before turning on you like a boomerang.

Physically I think part of what we crave is that instant blood sugar spike from those few drinks. Be careful when you're hungry sometimes just a snack or meal is the solution. I do intermittent fasting so I have to be careful with this. I try to balance it out with enough caffeine to keep away the hunger without having so much that I'm all nuts.

As far as that buzz feeling exercise is my go to. A good workout and my brain gives me all the feel good chemicals I need. Kind of in a slow dripping out that is steady and last a long time. Not all poured at once in a boom then bust manner like drinking & druggin.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. The urge to drink will fade with more sober time. I also found that practicing gratitude every day helped me a lot.

Don't give in to the voice that tells you drinking will fix it. Drinking will just make things worse.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

You have to ask for a sponsor or phone number and talk with someone one to one. Sponsorship saved my life along with working the 12 steps, not just sitting at a meeting.

I wish you well on your sober journey!
Old 04-21-2020, 07:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

yes, i found that too: after along day working in hot sun, i wanted to drink.

it shocked me to find out that i was actually thirsty. not thirsty for booze, which is how it manifested, but dehydrated and thirsty for water.
had never occurred to me.
anyway, just one piece of the puzzle.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses so far; they have all been so helpful and have stiffened my resolve.

God bless you all.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I too am early on in all of this, and the first thing I do is come on here and read. You are doing, it though! You came to talk instead of drink.

And to RecklessDrunk above. You hit the nail with your comments. I really appreciate those words this morning.