Notices

can only rich people go to rehab?

Old 04-19-2020, 11:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

can only rich people go to rehab?

I'm asking on behalf of my boyfriend who would love to go to rehab but it looks like even if you have insurance you need around an extra 50k to go to rehab?
he has health insurance through the state or Oregon, is there anything he can get with this?
The only thing he has tried so far is going to a methadone clinic but he's the only person there that's not homeless and he said it made him feel extremely discouraged to go because he was so uncomfortable there (they make you do group talks)
so now he's attempting to use the methadone they gave him to detox at home once again that will never work. Is there any other types of professional help he can get that will take his insurance or is affordable?
Old 04-19-2020, 11:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi HelpMe

your ex can look through this database.
https://findtreatment.samhsa.gov

Its searchable by location and you can input parameters like accepts insurance, free or whatever.

I think everyone with an addicted loved one has the dream where if we can just get them the help they need, they'll change and all will be well..

I'm sorry to say, but I don't think it's going to mean much if you find rehabs for him.

He really needs to want to change and that would mean effort on his part, not yours?.

D
Old 04-20-2020, 12:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
EndGame

If you haven't already done so, maybe you can start here:

https://www.oregon.gov/oha/HSD/AMH/P...ddictions.aspx
Old 04-20-2020, 01:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Agree that rehab is not going to be the magic bullet but it does give a little respite where the person gets time to think, to listen, even if they don't think they need to.

Maybe they'll go out using again, but a seed may have been planted. So, in answer to question, it does look like only rich people can go to rehab. Many can't afford it.

Even here, with good national health people have difficulty getting into the public facilities, some of which are very good. And I've used both. Better doonahs and food in private, but the therapy no better. Lesser even.

We have services here that will give advice on home detoxing. Don't know if you have similar? Can he speak with his doctor to avoid having to go to the methadone clinic? They are really sad places.

He might like NA?

Everyone should have the opportunity to go to rehab. Not just the cashed up.
Old 04-20-2020, 04:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not sure how Rehabs in the States are so expensive?! Here you usually pay between €6,000-€12,000 for a months treatment ( Minnesota model based mainly)
Old 04-20-2020, 04:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have met many people in AA who have gone to rehabs, some more than once. Many of them were poor and without jobs.

The costs you have quoted sound more like the costs associated with that place in Malibu where the movie stars go.

Last edited by Dee74; 04-20-2020 at 05:03 AM. Reason: see PM
Old 04-20-2020, 04:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Outpatient programs often have "ins" with rehabs that mere mortals aren't able to access. I know mine often arranges for patients to go on scholarship. I think it's probably because outpatient programs are in prime position to also refer paying customers...

If your bf is serious, he should talk with a counselor at the clinic about this.

p.s. One of the things all addicts are encouraged to do is "compare in." Your bf has exactly the same problem as the other folks in treatment. Situations differ, but addiction is addiction. The job of an addict such as myself is to apply any recovery program to ourselves - to make it work for our very unique selves.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It sounds like he already has access to methadone and group support? It seems to me the whole "they're homeless and I'm not! But rehab is too expensive!" thing is making excuses?

Just be smart about this. Is this the right relationship for you at this time? You should look through the Friends and Family fora and make sure you realize what dating a heroin addict is like.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Call the insurance company and ask them what they cover and where
Old 04-20-2020, 08:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

The Salvation Army always offers free rehab:

http://satruck.org/national-rehabilitation

And, please know, rehab is not essential for recovery. Many of us recover without using rehab. Does your boyfriend want to stop drinking?
Old 04-20-2020, 01:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I went to treatment, 30 day inpatient , more than once and never spent anywhere near that. It is covered under insurance so the most I paid was my out of pocket deductible. The last place I went I owe $5,000 to and they are very reasonable about monthly payments.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

I was out of work when I relapsed and needed to go to rehab or inpatient treatment.

I went to a hospital-based rehab with doctors and nurses available for medication and monitoring withdrawal symptoms.

The first thing that happened after the program took me in was to register me for Medicaid. I don't imagine that such a thing is available in every state, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I've since met people who were too proud to accept "charity," by their own accounts. A couple of them were from SR.

Even at the very end, when nothing is left, when we've lost or given away everything, we hold onto one of the very things that got us in trouble and kept us in trouble all along the way to deny ourselves the treatment that we need.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
waking down

What EndGame said: I've known a number of people who went to rehab covered by Medicaid.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

Are you calling rehabs or is he? If it's you, good luck. If it's him, he can call every day and be desperate for help. Ask them directly if they have scholarships available for those who don't have enough money to pay. If HE is serious, this will work. If it's YOU who is serious, it may not work. Have HIM do HIS work to obtain HIS sobriety.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ZIP

Hi HelpMe2020,
I don't know what insurance provider he currently has in OR.....?
I went through my medical provider, Kaiser Permanente (CA). You folks might be located in the Oregon Kaiser Permanente service area, depending upon the area you're in.

Kaiser offers in-patient and out-patient programs. After seeing an addiction program physician, they determine where you're going to start the 1 year program (in or out patient). It's know as the CDRP program in my town.

Just offering this if he's eligible for Kaiser, or an existing member of Kaiser. Good luck to you.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
I'm not sure how Rehabs in the States are so expensive?! Here you usually pay between €6,000-€12,000 for a months treatment ( Minnesota model based mainly)
Guess it must be cheaper in Kerry, lol.
John of Gods is around €20k for a month. That doesnt include the sky high €300 per hour to see a (useless but well connected) psychiatrist before admission.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I paid around 13.5k (usd) 11k gbp) for 2 months rehab in Thailand as the UK was too expensive (we don’t really do health insurance in the UK).  3 healthy meals a day, daily group sessions, 3 personal counselling sessions a week, daily exercise and meditation classes, 2 Thai massages a week and mindfulness classes.  I think someone above mentioned who was calling the rehab? You or your partner?  If he is not calling and fighting for this himself rehab won’t necessarily fix it.  Best of luck and look after yourself xx
Old 04-23-2020, 05:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Re: can only rich people go to rehab?

Not all situations are the same when it comes to finding help. My gf called some rehabs for me and got the ball rolling because I was to sick and exhausted from my last bender to be able to think clearly. All I knew was I wanted help but didn't know where to start so she took she started calling and asking questions and set up my first appointment. Neither of us knew anything about treatments so the first place we went was to a residential place but they did an intake and then suggested we look at some inpatient places as well. From there, we ended up choosing Intensive Outpatient Therapy and I've been on the recovery road ever since. But my gf, my coworkers and friends all helped me in major ways to get my foot in the door when I needed it. 
Old 04-23-2020, 09:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.<div><br></div><div>Technical problem.</div>
Old 04-25-2020, 05:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My rehab was mostly outpatient, and really helped.
However, the key for me was (and is) honesty. Sharing here every day might have been effective, too.
Check in here throughout the day during your early recovery. It can make a big difference to share your feelings and help others cope. I felt responsible and accountable to the others in my therapy group. I didn't want to let them down by relapsing, and I wanted to support their efforts to get better.