Notices

My building just moved two homeless men.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My building just moved two homeless men.

Why on earth would my building allow two homeless men to move into the unit next to me?? During a pandemic!!

It's a bachelor apartment and they are walking around the hallway for no reason. They are smoking meth. This makes no sense. Corruption is at all levels. The building owners/management are obviously trying to make some quick profit.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Because they needed a place to live...

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Why on earth would my building allow two homeless men to move into the unit next to me?? During a pandemic!!

It's a bachelor apartment and they are walking around the hallway for no reason. They are smoking meth. This makes no sense. Corruption is at all levels. The building owners/management are obviously trying to make some quick profit.
This is no time to be out on the street homeless thats for sure... You cant social distance and can't warm up in restaurants, shelters are filled...dont see a problem that they went from homeless to housed.... I would def inform someone about the meth smoking though to hopefully put an end to that...
Old 04-17-2020, 03:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's great that they are getting homeless people off the street and into housing where they can be safe. But, walking the halls randomly is not okay at this time and smoking meth in the building should never be okay.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

And another sad example of lack of services for people with meth addiction. Homeless on top would make it virtually impossible. We can't blame the victim. You only need to stay distant from them, wash your hands. Enquire about rehab., but there won't be any. They need somewhere to stay. I would.

Maybe talk to them.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No, they are not tenants. I don't have a problem with housing homeless people. But there are people with young children on this floor and using drugs in the stairwell and halls just unacceptable. They are a threat to everyone's safety here.

(This guy was literally smoking from a glass pipe in the hall and laughed at me. Like it is a joke!)

The complete ignorance of people is shocking!
Old 04-17-2020, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do they have any options outside the street?
Old 04-17-2020, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, people can be ignorant.

Do they have rooms to go to, or are they camped in the stairwell?
Old 04-17-2020, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Apparently, some people have no problem with homeless drug addicts moving next door. Provide your address and I will send them into your welcome arms.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mine was only a question WL.

I thought you said the landlord gave them access so as to make a quick buck?

I'm surprised there are plenty of homeless shelters, programmes available, but if so very good. It would be a lot better. I thought they would be in lockdown?
Old 04-17-2020, 04:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

this is just another example of WHY it is so important that WE each protect ourselves. we must assume that everyone else IS contagious and take appropriate measures. less interaction. proper hygiene, face protection, hand washing.

you can always call the police about known/suspected flagrant drug use.

i understand it doesn't make sense - this one situation that you mention. but again it is still incumbent upon YOU to protect yourself. we cannot rely on others to protect us, observe guidelines or boundaries.

i went to the grocery store this morning (WA state, by the way....) and only about half of the workers had face protection, and only about half of the shoppers as well. i wore my mask. i disinfected my cart handles before i touched it. once i got back in my car, i hand sanitzed and removed my mask by the ear loop and have a special spot to place the mask. only then did i touch my steering wheel or other internal car parts.

i make sure to take off my "outside" clothes and don my safe inside clothes. i washed my hands, touching as few things as i could until that time. i've been in virtual "quarantine-ish" life since March 6. that's 44 days. so far. and my institution says that those of us who are working successfully from home should consider MONTHS until we are back on campus. like August.....

what i know for sure is this......my husband and i are home, we are safe, we are healthy, we remain uninfected. and my JOB is to make sure we stay that way. prime directive. what my neighbors do is not my problem, if i make sure i have no interaction WITH them.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

I can see both sides of this. The homeless have to be housed right now in my town a huge parking lot and our bus station has been roped off for homeless camps, so that they can be monitored by authorities, and be given some food and hygiene supplies. I actually like my town's solution, because they're not in anyone's building, and they are being monitored by people who know how to work with the chronically homeless who might have mental illness and/or addiction issues.

I'm sorry this is affecting you directly. Please report that these men are smoking meth in the hallway right away. That is not ok, and it puts other people at risk.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I would email your landlord stating what you have seen - with times and places detailed - and that it is not acceptable and you require action to be taken. The next time, same thing but ad that you will be calling the police if it happens again. I presume they are smoking the pipes in the hallway because the accommodation has smoke alarms of some sort. Housing homeless people is a good thing especially given the current situation but that sort of behaviour is not acceptable no matter what. Also, I hope they are not sharing as that would not be right It would also be illegal in the UK and (Canada too I suspect.)

Good luck.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would tell the people who own the property...the "Landlord" that they are roaming the hallways when they were given a place to "sleep"..."eat"...stay put...and you feel it is a hazard to your own health.

And I would also tell the Landlord that if he does not address the issue with the people staying there...ALL the people on ALL floors...that you will report this to the Department of Business Regulations in your Contry...and that will make it stop? Or not?

I know that if I told my state Govenor that building would be charged a "fine" if they did not respond to your request.

Last edited by Misssy2; 04-17-2020 at 05:14 PM. Reason: To add what my Govenor would do.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't understand the issue....we are all addicts on here, they were homeless and now they are not. If you have a personal problem with it talk to your landlord...
Old 04-17-2020, 10:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post

I'd be pissed. Assuming you pay good money to keep yourself off the street as do the other tenants. I'm sure your right there is money changing hands. Probably some break from the city or another organization. But hey dont worry, they sound like clean people who will obey social distancing and not put any of you at risk. I dont miss NY.

I guess you could check your lease, video their behavior. And if everyone on your floor continuously lodged complaints to the landlord it might help. You dont know how long this might go on. Or what an active meth addict might do so I'd document. The NYPD wont help on this one I'm sure.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi WastingLife.

I think maybe the title of the thread was a little misleading? I hear what you’re saying 100% - it’s not that they were homeless, it’s that they are smoking meth in the corridors.

Ultimately it has to work on all sides. It’s great to get people off the streets and safe but that doesn’t mean that everyone else’s health should be compromised as a result. That’s not a fair trade off.

I hope that this get resolved. I for one wouldn’t want people living next to me smoking meth. No sir thank you very much.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

How are you today, Wasting? I'm hoping those guys have been told to stay indoors. I'm also sorry to see that some people here have been less than supportive.
Everyone who can pays as much or more than they can afford to live in areas where this isn't happening. That doesn't mean we don't support homeless people having homes, and I know that's not what you meant.
I hope you report them to the police and the property manager. Sending hugs.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree with others about removing the homeless from the streets, but walking around in public areas without a reason and drug use is not okay. Do these people seem like ones you could talk to directly? Of course it is not always the best, especially when illegal activity is involved.

I would report to the building management, landlord, whoever is in charge or that complex. But I would first make sure to have some kind of evidence on hand because everyone can say whatever they want... If you have that, and if the management does not respond after reaching out, if there is no change, I would probably contact them again with a note that your next step will be reporting to the authorities.

I've never had similar issues, but have been renting in many different places my whole adult life, and sometimes I had slow and/or unresponsive landlords when problems arose. Following the above steps, including gathering evidence and showing it to whoever I report, has always resolved the most annoying problems and I never had to go as far as calling the police.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm glad homeless folks are getting housing, BUT if they're using drugs I'd call the police and they can be housed in county lockup
Old 04-18-2020, 11:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Completely unacceptable. YOU have the right to be safe in your building's hallways. I'd complain to the manager/landlord every hour over and over and over until YOUR safety can be assured.