Notices

6 months, first post

Old 04-17-2020, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 months, first post

Hello!

This is my first post. Today I am 6 months sober. I am 58 yrs old and have drank almost daily for the last 35 yrs, except a 5 yr stretch of sobriety 25 yrs ago. I can echo so much of what so many on here have said. I always drank more then I told myself I was going to, couldn't remember much of the night before, I was a zombie till noon every day, etc...

I'm posting now to say "thank you" and hopefully encourage someone else. I read SR every morning and night for about the first 4 months. I would read posts that exactly expressed the things I did or thought. What a surprise to see so many others in my same situation! The revelation that I was not alone, and among others like myself was so encouraging. My SO and a friend I tried to share this journey with at first, just didn't understand. This site saved me so many times. The collective wisdom, the unconditional support, the kindness and understanding! Those hard days when I wanted to cave so bad, I would come on here and see people posting "it will get better, just make it through today" or " around 90 to 100 days, I started to feel better" saved me and kept me going. It also helped to read others say the big switch happened when they realized they just can't drink ever again. Someone else said they finally realized they were an alcoholic because non-alcoholics don't spend all their time thinking about drinking/not drinking. Me!

So, I'm here to say it does get better! Somewhere between 3 and 4 months, the cloud started to lift. Now at 6 months it's so much better. My cravings are mostly gone, I've lost weight, I'm more productive. Most important, I'm present in my family's life, not hiding in the basement, or going to my bedroom with my alcohol to drink. Alcohol is a liar and a thief. I know my sober journey is still young, but I feel I've gotten through the dark forest and out into the open space.

Thank you SR friends! (Sorry for the long ramble)
Old 04-17-2020, 07:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to the posting side!

And congrats on six months.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 months of sobriety and welcome here.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 months sober.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done Wayne! Keep it up.
Old 04-17-2020, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on six months sober!
Old 04-17-2020, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Wayne! It's so good to meet you.
I drank 30 yrs & felt so disoriented in the beginning. When I came to SR that strange, foggy feeling started to leave me. It was reassuring to know I never had to be alone again. Congrats on your 6 months - that is truly wonderful.
Old 04-17-2020, 02:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 months thats brilliant and a lovely inspiring post too thank you
Old 04-17-2020, 03:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
p***enger

Your story makes me very happy, Wayne! Congratulations on finding sobriety, and I'm very glad to meet you!

Like you, I was a daily drinker for about 35 years, with occasional pauses for pregnancy and the like. Like you, I would use the exact word 'zombie' to describe myself. SR helped bring me back to life.

I hope you keep posting!
Old 04-17-2020, 04:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the posting side of things Wayne - and congrats on 6 months

D
Old 04-17-2020, 05:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Very cool!
Old 04-17-2020, 05:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and thanks for posting!

What a surprise to see so many others in my same situation! The revelation that I was not alone, and among others like myself was so encouraging.

I got the exact same feeling when I finally gave up and tried AA. You might want to check out a few AA meetings, when things get back to "normal" in your area.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, your post sounds a lot like me. We are right around the same age and have about the same history. I tried to hide my drinking from my wife because I didn’t want her to see how much I drank. She always said if you want to drink don’t hide it. But the problem was one or two drinks wouldn’t be enough so I had to hide it. I had close to a year sober a few years ago, and other shorter stints. Push came to shove and I finally got tired of the lies, hiding, and feeling awful. I currently have about 45 days or so but feel good about it this time. Started a daily journal today to help with accountability going forward. I look forward to more of your posts.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on 45 days! If I could go back, I think I would journal. Initially why you quit and the memories are so clear, but after a while I started to forget the bad things and entertain thoughts of " maybe just a couple". 45 days is great. I noticed things got much easier after about 90 or so. Hang in there. I finally feel free.