Notices

Quitting Kratom

Old 04-16-2020, 10:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting Kratom

I have to quit kratom. It's draining my bank'account but most importantly is I feel sick when I use it. My stomach starts to hurt and I get very shaky. I'm 24 hours off right now and my brain-fog is making it hard to even write this. I look forward to the support from this site and others. Does anyone else have experience with kratom and quiting it?
Old 04-16-2020, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I don't have experience with Kratom, but hopefully others will be along who can offer advice.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've heard all kinds of stuff about it. I tried it a long time ago for pain but had no success so that was that. Wish I could have done that with alcohol!

I think Reddit may have some good sub forums about Kratom. But either way, this is a great site, great people. Welcome!
Old 04-16-2020, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Samantha

Good for you for quitting. I've heard it's horrible, so you've made a great choice.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have no personal experience but know that it is similar to opioids in several ways. It interacts with opioid receptors but also affects serotonin and norepinephrine systems, in part depending upon dosage. Many people get hooked on it when they try to quit opioids and replace them with Kratom. There are many resources online about Kratom detox and withdrawal, check those out. It is not as common as direct opioid addiction but the withdrawal is similar, so you might want to talk with people who succeeded with opioid detox and abstinence.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey JP

no experience here either but hopefully other people will chime here in who have.

You will find some threads in the Substance Abuse forum.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/substance-abuse/

D
Old 04-16-2020, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, and i took it to get off oxycodone. You'll be fine. Chill out.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have no experience with Kratom. One thing I can add is that just because it is a 'herb' or natural doesn't mean it doesn't have addictive properties or potential for abuse.

I have chewed 'khat'. A plant from East Africa that is illegal here. I bought it off a Somalian taxi driver here in Toronto. There is a sizable community here and that is easy to find. Khat is habit forming. Mild stimulant, but if you are using every day for a while, then you may be looking at withdrawal symptoms.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have used kratom occasionally for pain after knee replacement surgery. I have read that with regular use a person can experience withdrawal symptoms of varying severity. Since I have never used it on a regular basis I've never experienced withdrawal symptoms. When I have taken a larger than normal dose I have experienced side effects such as nausea and stomach discomfort which sounds similar to what you're experiencing.

While my experience with kratom hasn't caused me any difficulties, if it's making you ill and draining your bank account you should definitely give it up.

Kratom comes from the leaves of a tree in the coffee family native to southeast Asia. I've read that the withdrawal symptoms are similar to those experienced by a heavy coffee drinker who quits their 10 cup a day habit cold turkey.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JudicatorPanzer View Post
I have to quit kratom. It's draining my bank'account but most importantly is I feel sick when I use it. My stomach starts to hurt and I get very shaky. I'm 24 hours off right now and my brain-fog is making it hard to even write this. I look forward to the support from this site and others. Does anyone else have experience with kratom and quiting it?
I've tried it and one of my sons thought he was addicted to it and quit.
Titrate yourself. Drug titration is the process of adjusting the dose of a medication for the maximum benefit without adverse effects.
As with any opioid like withdrawal you might feel like you have the flu for awhile.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I realize I responded to this already, but here's a little more info.

Yes, I do. I got hurt real bad in 2015 and was prescribed 70mg of oxycodone per day for a full year. I used kratom to get off of it. I had two cups of "tea" per day. One in the morning and one at lunch. I was able to get off oxycodone pretty easy, then I slowed the kratom intake over the course of two weeks and I was fine. WHat strain are you using?
Old 04-17-2020, 05:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was using Maeng-Da.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How are you feeling today?
Old 04-18-2020, 05:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

A bit better. My head is back. Craving a dose of kratom but will persevere. Having some mild chills.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do stick it out - you'll be so glad you did JP

D
Old 04-18-2020, 05:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Dont have any experience of Kratom but did I have come off of opioids in the past and from what I know it is similar. Glad you are feeling better. Sounds as though you are through the worst of it on a physical level. I suspect the cravings will not be too intense once you are completely out of the other side of the physical bit so definitely hang on in there. It is so going to be worth it and you have a great attitude
Old 04-21-2020, 01:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi everyone thanks or your replies. I had a horrible day yesterday with withdrawals but made it through and actually slept thank God. I feel almost 100% today just very tired. To be honest I could not have done this if I weren't furloughed at the moment. Thank you all for the support. I am also a recovering alcoholic and had 2 years with no alcohol on the 11th.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Huge congrats on taking your life back, JP. Once I was free there was no way I was going back.

Well done on your two years off alcohol and sounds like you've successfully kicked the kratom, too. Excellent.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Huge congrats on taking your life back, JP. Once I was free there was no way I was going back.

Well done on your two years off alcohol and sounds like you've successfully kicked the kratom, too. Excellent.
Yep I have no desire for either thank God! Gonna keep checking in here and try and find some support other places as well, maybe NA.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You could venture out into the main forums, maybe join the April Class thread or any of the ongoing ones like "One year and under" or "Weekenders" etc.

NA meetings are all online right now, if you go to the AA website there are links.