Notices

7 weeks ago today

Old 04-15-2020, 10:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 weeks ago today

I got really drunk. This was a daily pattern that had been going on for over 15 years, been drinking heavily for 23 since I was 17. I'd drink in the pub and at home. Cider, red wine, white wine. Stages of beer for years on end. Vodka to finish the night. Cocaine when with certain people.

Seven weeks ago I was living in a complete fantasy land. I thought I was a great dad and husband, the world owed me so much, nothing would ever change. In seven painful weeks I've realised that for years I was abusive, demanding, bullying, vacant, a fool, embarrassing and a deadbeat dad. That's been very painful and the consequences for me look like they'll continue being painful.

Today I am just at the beginning of facing up to reality. It hurts. But it is real, and I'm amazed at just how far into the fantasy world I had retreated. I was certainly in some kind of madness. Things haven't improved for me in the consequences and probably won't, but I am at the start of dealing with reality as an adult.

Thanks for all your support, this site and all of you have been vital in moving forward

Old 04-15-2020, 11:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Greta progress for seven weeks mate. Very few can look at them selves so honestly that early on the journey. Now you have put your finger on some of the main problems, you are in a great position to move forward in a meaningful way.

All the best
Old 04-16-2020, 12:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was wondering how you were doing. Remember your first post here. Beyond the pain, and the hard work your doing now, there can be a new life you actively design. All things in good time. Thanks for the update.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 7 Weeks Be

D
Old 04-16-2020, 12:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done on 7 weeks now.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lines View Post
I was wondering how you were doing. Remember your first post here. Beyond the pain, and the hard work your doing now, there can be a new life you actively design. All things in good time. Thanks for the update.
Thanks Lines and gottalife (Also a massive thanks to Venus who's a constant support in our monthly group on this issue) - I cant see hope. I'm sad, hurt and ashamed. Without this site and support I would have given up and drunk. I am 100% convinced that one sign of addiction is wanting results NOW and resolution NOW (which booze would give me, until it ruined my life even more). Hearing stories of hope, being reminded to be patient, being told I will
survive are everything to me.

Ive drunk for 20 years getting myself into this mess. I guess it if takes 20 years to sort it out that'll be kind of balanced!!
Old 04-16-2020, 02:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Remember you can't change the past, only today and the next....and the next.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

congratulations on 7 weeks sober. Stay sober and keep moving forwards in your recovery and things will continue to improve. With sobriety and recovery it becomes possible to clear up the wreckage of the past 🙏
Old 04-16-2020, 09:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Be123 View Post

I am 100% convinced that one sign of addiction is wanting results NOW and resolution NOW (which booze would give me, until it ruined my life even more). Hearing stories of hope, being reminded to be patient, being told I will survive are everything to me.

Ive drunk for 20 years getting myself into this mess. I guess it if takes 20 years to sort it out that'll be kind of balanced!!
Change in general is difficult for most people. Just look at many of the weight loss plans. They are often designed to give immediate results (even if it's only the initial loss of h2o) because people want to see something positive stemming from the often painful physical & emotional effort. Or they will just give up. Some of the feelings of wanting it now are perhaps just part of human nature.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great job Be! We've all experience that painful clarity of realizing how much we have failed and hurt the ones we love. While that hurts, it's also a very powerful motivator to make the positive changes that we are all here on this site trying to achieve.

Keep checking in. Keep those feeling close to your heart and use them for good.