Notices

Booze as hand sanitizer

Old 04-13-2020, 06:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Booze as hand sanitizer

So since there isn't any actual hand sanitizer available our company contracted with a distillery to provide us with some. I swear it's just straight booze. I smelled my hands after I used it and it was just cheap rot gut. I wouldn't go so far to say it triggered me but pretty damn close. I'm not the only one who won't use it. People are complaining it's too drying and one guy is afraid it will mess up his tattoos.

Regular hand sanitizer doesn't trigger me at all. I could see this causing a problem for some people, especially in early sobriety.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Soap and water is the best cleaner anyway,

D
Old 04-13-2020, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
p***enger

We've been told that anything with 90% alcohol by volume is best. I hear a lot of jokes about getting a handle of vodka. It would be a problem for me. My sobriety is solid, but that doesn't mean I don't still have occasional dreams of floating in a gin bath!

I keep rubbing alcohol and non-alcohol-based sanitizer by my door because I can't find the "real" thing in stores. Soap and water are a few steps away. And moisturizer!
Old 04-13-2020, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I laughed when I read the title...I was like WHAT the frig company does this person work for? LOL.

Tell them to look up how to safely dilute bleach this is ridiculous.

Stay AWAY from the alcohol period....lol
Old 04-13-2020, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't use bleach in my skin, no matter how much it was diluted.

D
Old 04-13-2020, 06:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Samantha

I just use soap....gentle on the skin and no triggering smells
Old 04-13-2020, 06:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
We've been told that anything with 90% alcohol by volume is best. I hear a lot of jokes about getting a handle of vodka. It would be a problem for me. My sobriety is solid, but that doesn't mean I don't still have occasional dreams of floating in a gin bath!

I keep rubbing alcohol and non-alcohol-based sanitizer by my door because I can't find the "real" thing in stores. Soap and water are a few steps away. And moisturizer!
It poured out like water. They cautioned us it was highly flammable. When I smelled it I might as well have been smelling someone drink. I would never put myself in a position like that even though I have no desire to drink ever again. I know I still have that thing in my brain that would love to tell me to self destruct.

I won't use it as I don't want to have it end up being a problem.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I wouldn't use bleach in my skin, no matter how much it was diluted.

D
Maybe not...LOL...but I wouldn't use alcohol if you paid me (and he is getting paid its his job...omg) and I would use diluted bleach first.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
Maybe not...LOL...but I wouldn't use alcohol if you paid me (and he is getting paid its his job...omg) and I would use diluted bleach first.
They said they're getting in some Purell soon. It's soap and water until then. Just about everyone is refusing it. I think it was along the lines of providing something so people couldn't come back on them.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds nasty, Silentrun.

I can't get hand sanitizer here either so I made some using glycerin, rubbing alcohol and I added some peppermint oil. It smells great. The glycerin prevents drying.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
They said they're getting in some Purell soon. It's soap and water until then. Just about everyone is refusing it. I think it was along the lines of providing something so people couldn't come back on them.
That's not really fair...my work knew I was an alcoholic so I would have been like...Ok when you get the Purell I will be back......and they would have given me paid time off.....but most people won't tell their employers they have had a problem....I get that...but it is not fair...cause maybe you are not going to drink over it...but someone could....
They are trying....but obviously none of the owners are alcoholic.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A local distillery switched to making hand sanitizer very early in the pandemic. I haven't seen any but I'm glad I haven't run across it. I was lucky enough to have enough sanitizer around the house before all this started that it hasn't been an issue.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Soap is effective, but hand sanitizer is nice for when you get back to the car after shopping. You are not always close to soap and water, although I suppose you could carry soap and a two liter bottle of water. I might try that since my sanitizer is almost gone. I also heard hydrogen peroxide kills virus, although I haven't verified that.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Our government offered large incentives for companies to provide our own PPE supplies, so we aren't reliant on foreign. It's been a way for our distilleries to keep afloat, making hand sanitizer and any company with a 3D printer is donating them or making what is necessary.
We have snitch lines for price gouging, bottles of sanitizer going for $14.99 for just a couple ounces.
It is pretty tough out there for anyone, let alone essential service companies, now scrambling to provide for their employees in a grossly inflated market.
Hoping the distilleries get some positive feedback and maybe tone down the boozy smell.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've seen that on the news. Booze companies mixing ethanol with aloe vera. Sounds like your provider forgot the aloe part...which is also hard to get btw.

I have 90% rubbing alcohol. I mix it with about 1/3 aloe and that seems to do the trick. I mean, I think. But washing is the first line of defense. I just have that in my car, purse etc.

Normal strength alcohol won't do it cause it's tops 50%, 100 proof. Isn't that accurate? Hell even I don't know, which is surprising. People are buying up vodka however I hear...sorry guys...not strong enough.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I would not use any type of distilled spirits on my hands for any purpose.

I have a higher chance of surviving COVID than I do of surviving a relapse.

I use alcohol-based hand sanitizer (e.g., Purell) and soap and water.

And gloves and a mask.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Well the bastards got me again. This time they filled the large sanitizer bottle with it. I pumped it and a whole bunch came shooting out at me. Back into the bathroom to wash my hands. This isn't rubbing alcohol in there. Rubbing alcohol makes me think of the doctor or a hospital. This is cheap bar pour booze. It makes me think of drinking.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Are you required to use it? Not sure I would.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've got some of the Dollar Store hand sanitizer. First time I used it I kind of had a "moment" - it was the first time I'd smelled alcohol after quitting drinking at that point.

It still smells like drinking alcohol, but I've learned to not let it get to me.

I have a bottle in the car and it did make me lol a little when I got in there one day and smelled alcohol. I was hoping I wouldn't be pulled over and breathalyzed - - -
Old 04-14-2020, 03:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee that soap and water is best.
You can buy anti bacterial soap if needs be.

Just soap and your hands washed well should suffice.

I don't use the alcohol hand gel at all.
It makes my hands really sore and if you have a cut it really stings.

I wish you the best xx