Notices

36 hour Detox story - Hot bath almost killed me

Old 04-12-2020, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
In Recovery

36 hour Detox story - Hot bath almost killed me

Well I'm gonna go ahead and share this story since I should have been dead and I just got access to my records.. I noticed my urine was turning dark so I stopped drinking again, well, It was Tuesday last week around 9:30am and asked my wife if she would pour me a Epsom bath. She said 'sure' and filled it up to the normal level. I soaked for about 15 minutes then as the tub cooled, I added some more hot water to it, filling it up a few inches from the top.
Soaked for maybe another 15 minutes and then something happened. My body started to lock up. It almost felt like something was pulling me under and the last thing I remember was trying to grab onto something to keep myself above water. There was nothing I could get my hands on. I recall screaming at the top of my lungs for my wife to come help me.
The next thing I know I'm being wheeled down the hallway of the ICU at the hospital. Turned out I had a seizure in the bathtub.
Well story goes my wife came into the bathroom and saw me lying on my back underwater, eyes open and no breathing. My body was locked up so she couldn't pull me out of the tub. Her story goes, she held my head above water while she drained the tub. She thought I was a goner. Once she got the tub drained, she laid me on my side and talked to me for about 10 minutes while I was still struggling to breath. Eventually she called 911 and up here, the responders are neighbors , who ever is closest and on the response list.
6 guys showed up, it took 4 of them to pull me out of the tub (yes I was covered) and into the ambulance.
HERE'S THE KICKER: My wife never heard me scream for help. She happened to get a little whisper that she needed to go check on me, even though there's a 100 other things she could have been doing. She casually walked in, saw water splashed up to the ceiling all over the bathroom, and then me at the bottom.
HERE'S THE WEIRD PART: The upstairs part of the house is all hardwoods so if in fact I screamed, she would have heard me since she was just down the hall in the office. We've both concluded my mind created me screaming. Even though I swear I did, she heard nothing.
Took about 4 days to recover, and glad to be alive.🙏
Just sharing.. we concluded the detox was the reason for this to happen.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's sounded pretty close man - I'm glad you're still with us.

Not everyone gets a reminder of their own mortality like that and lives to tell the tale.

So I guess you're ready to embrace recovery in a big way?

D
Old 04-12-2020, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That sounds terrifying! Thank God you weren't alone, I'm glad you're still with us.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Withdrawals can be pretty messed up. I once had auditory hallucinations. I heard music playing, but there was no radio/stereo on anywhere.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That was a close call Psilyguy. I don't think you get too many more bites, if any, at that apple. I hope you can pivot from the telekinetic part of your story, which is indeed mysterious, and confront the cold hard physics of your situation. Tell us what the docs are doing for you. Was it a bath that nearly killed you? That sounds incomplete. Darkening urine and seizures are surely signs of big trouble. I hope you can get some concrete answers and begin to heal.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Samantha

Omg I'm so glad you're okay! That sounds so horrible to happen and so scary it's a miracle you're here to tell the story.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What a terrifying ordeal Psilguy. So glad you survived.

I hope you have stopped drinking.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Another reminder of how dangerous it is to detox without med supervision. And another reason NOT to pick up. Thank you for sharing your story. Glad you came out of it ok. I hope your wife recovers also.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That sounds like a terrifying experience for all involved. I've actually seen someone get a seizure when I was in Treatment- it is not a pretty sight!

Hopefully this is the wake up call you need. I defiantly needed something like that happen to me too, best of luck staying the course this time around
Old 04-13-2020, 09:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's such a scary story. I'm so glad you're safe.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you lived to tell the story. Sounds scary as heck. Congrats on your decision to live the sober life. Wishing you the best.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Very frightening...and so lucky that your wife had the intuition to check on you, she certainly saved your life. I've woken up in hospital a few times from withdrawal seizures, took a year or so after my last one to get my drivers license back... my doctor told me to be extra careful, no baths and keep the washroom door open and unlocked, just in case. And no stairs or escalators, no train platforms, stay away from the curb in traffic, no bikes....pretty much everything was dangerous.

I haven't had one in five years now, but I go to medicated detox or taper down when quitting....I never want to go through that again....
Old 04-13-2020, 06:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thrillhou View Post
Withdrawals can be pretty messed up. I once had auditory hallucinations. I heard music playing, but there was no radio/stereo on anywhere.
Me too! This has happened to me a couple times during a detox. And I don't ever want to end in a situation like this ******* person! OMG.
Old 04-13-2020, 06:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That was the most graphic, frightening story I have ever heard on a sober recovery board...and I had a very near death experience myself and what scares me the most about your story is that I don't see a reply to this post saying that you are sure you are done now...…

Because after my harrowing experience...I really was done....and I hope you are too....but it only lasted 8 years for me and here I am back on the boards 9 days sober again....

You have another chance....and what scares me is my personal belief is that I don't believe the chance is in your hands....addiction is very evil....sneaky....and I really hope you don't even want to drink ever again....
I pray for you that you don't want to and that you don't.

That's freaky you probably never screamed but yet your subconscious scream...your wife heard thru intuition...really really scary story....
Old 04-13-2020, 06:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Patterson View Post
Very frightening...and so lucky that your wife had the intuition to check on you, she certainly saved your life. I've woken up in hospital a few times from withdrawal seizures, took a year or so after my last one to get my drivers license back... my doctor told me to be extra careful, no baths and keep the washroom door open and unlocked, just in case. And no stairs or escalators, no train platforms, stay away from the curb in traffic, no bikes....pretty much everything was dangerous.

I haven't had one in five years now, but I go to medicated detox or taper down when quitting....I never want to go through that again....
Very interesting that advice your Dr gave you "no baths" ended in a tragedy for this man and his family....I'm never taking a f'ing bath if I go thru a detox....holy crap!
Old 04-13-2020, 06:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Thrillhou View Post
that happened to me once when I was super sick as a kid (well like 15). I used to get bad fevers and I hallucinated a whole album...or so my parents said lol
Old 04-13-2020, 10:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow. I am so very sorry that you and your wife had to go through this. What a wake up call.
My ex boyfriend once had a seizure right next to me after he stopped taking Xanax for ONE DAY. I had never experienced anything like that and I have buried deep but will never forget the way his face distorted...I kept using and drinking for a decade after that, this disease is relentless.
I am so so glad to be sober and I am so glad that you are still here, you were touched by something bigger than you, I believe that with all of my soul.
I hope you find the willingness and strength to beat this thing.
Nic.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This is extremely frightening, Pguy.

I appreciate your sharing it.

I used to try to detox and the results were never good.

The great news is that you never, ever have to detox again.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Psilyguy?

D
Old 04-20-2020, 08:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

When I was around 17 I was detoxing off of meth and this happened frequently. Well not exactly a seizure, but I would get trapped in a state of consciousness but paralysis. I would try and try to scream and only a garbled quiet moan would escape. It was absolutely terrifying (but kind of cool too - but only because I didn’t die). If I would have been in the tub during any of those events I don’t know what would have happened.