Notices

First time here

Old 04-12-2020, 12:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time here

Hi all,

I'm not really sure what to say, I have tried quitting so many times and I really want this time to work. Its been 20 hours since my last drink, I read that GABA distortion in the brain caused the severity of withdrawal so I took some probiotics I know produce It in the body at hour 10 and again afew minutes ago so I'm not really feeling very bad if at all yet even though my craving was there when I ate lunch and before hour 10 I was getting a bit paranoid and very hot. I don't have a support system because I'm ashamed to admit how much I drink and my boyfriend is getting worse with his addiction to weed. I can go all day without want a drink but then I'm around him and think eff it, I can even engage with this person right now might as well go into my own head. I cant break up with him at this moment because of some legal issues but I fantasize when I will be able to. For a long time I blamed my drinking on him his is not the best guy(often only nice when high)and I often cleared 3/4 to a bottle of wine a day, and my life is in shambles, I also gained so much weight. I finally realized I had given him power over me in such a dysfunctional way. Now I accepted and have began tackling why I drink. I hope I haven't done too much damage to my brain and body. I thank you all who post here, reading your posts gave me courage to atleast let it out and say the truth somewhere
Old 04-12-2020, 01:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Orchid!
If you think about it 20 hours is a long time. It is your day 1. The days add up if you let them.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Orchid!

Twenty hours is indeed a long time. I hope this is the beginning of a permanent recovery. Keep reading and posting here--it works if you work it!

Here's a couple good threads to join:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post7423634 (24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 481)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-one-18.html
Old 04-12-2020, 01:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, it does feel encouraging to hear I have achieved something though I am about to go to the grocery store to get some essentials and honestly afraid I will buy some, convince myself I actually just need to taper off rather than just stop. But as I say it the anxiety is slowly lifting ha. I know I have shopped before without buying booze albeit rarely but I think I can do it today👍, thank you for letting me speak.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Orchid. Yes, you've pretty much got day 1 down. Congratulations; I hope you stick around and keep posting. Best wishes on your sober journey.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Orchid. You are on the right track in coming here and talking.

Finding your own voice is one of the great benefits of sobriety. More power to you.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome, and you dont need to taper off. Just stop actually buying and drinking booze. You have a good start, keep it up.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Orchid! I posted here every time I considered drinking in that first week or two. It really helped me change the direction my thoughts were going. Maybe that would help you, too. Keep up the good work!
Old 04-12-2020, 03:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just got back from the store, decided to not go to my usual so it doesn't trigger my usual pattern there, funny thing was all the stores were closed till it hit me Easter!! Though there was a walgreens open so decided to pop in there, I ended up at the wine isle, not that I felt the need to drink or that I would later on(but I think that was a lie) but my wine was $3 cheaper there and I thought it was a a good deal, I walked to the checkout wine in hand and there! The cashier was a close friend of mine who is both religious and doesn't drink! I laughed(and was sad) at myself how easy I lied to myself, took the wine back and got a case of water I actually needed and it was cheaper. This is going to be tough. Thank you all for your encouraging words.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Good job, Orchid.

You paid attention to what was going on around you and got the help you needed. This is my experience - when your head and will are in the right place, mystical magical things like the non-drinking friend being at the cash register happen!

Looks like you're just about to the 24-hour mark, eh?

O
Old 04-12-2020, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Your story about going to Walgreens really touched me somehow. I think perhaps it's the idea of doing the next right thing instead of the next easy thing. The rewards will come later, and if you are like most of us you will be truly amazed with what you find.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Good job, Orchid.

You paid attention to what was going on around you and got the help you needed. This is my experience - when your head and will are in the right place, mystical magical things like the non-drinking friend being at the cash register happen!

Looks like you're just about to the 24-hour mark, eh?

O
It was amazing! Very much strengthened my resolve. That was very very foolish of me, putting myself in a place where I could though it away!? For what? I don't even like the drunk feeling anymore. Thank God for such magical situations, some day I'll tell her what she did for me😊

I am! 1 min to go! Almost feel like crying!!
Old 04-12-2020, 04:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
Your story about going to Walgreens really touched me somehow. I think perhaps it's the idea of doing the next right thing instead of the next easy thing. The rewards will come later, and if you are like most of us you will be truly amazed with what you find.
I will repeat that to myself "the next right thing"

Thank you
Old 04-12-2020, 04:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I just want to that you all for talking with me today, I have reached 24hrs and even though I have never met any of you, you helped me so much get over this first day. Thank you and God bless you! Good luck with all your journeys
Old 04-12-2020, 04:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the gang Orchid1

D
Old 04-12-2020, 05:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

And thank you for being here, Orchid. You helped me too.
Old 04-12-2020, 05:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you, Orchid. Those early days are rough - quite a few hurdles to get over, but you're gaining strength each time. Being here really helps because you can speak the truth to those who truly understand what you're going through. I didn't have anyone else in my life who knew how I felt.
You can get free!
Old 04-12-2020, 06:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

How are you tonight Orchid? Welcome to recovery and lots of support here on SR. I'm nearly 5 months sober and this site is one of my main means of support. Identify your craving times and do not have an idle moment during that time each day. As soon as you identify when it starts and when it is done bugging you for evening, it will start to shrink. Tomorrow morning you might be tired, but you won't have an agonizing hangover. It will be a good day.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
How are you tonight Orchid? Welcome to recovery and lots of support here on SR. I'm nearly 5 months sober and this site is one of my main means of support. Identify your craving times and do not have an idle moment during that time each day. As soon as you identify when it starts and when it is done bugging you for evening, it will start to shrink. Tomorrow morning you might be tired, but you won't have an agonizing hangover. It will be a good day.
I'm was having a rough go there for a bit, it looks like eating is a strong trigger for me, I almost went to get 2 6oz bottles of wine, I actually got to the door and wouldn't you know it, its raining cats and dogs outside, I think I will just take my allergy meds and a shower and get to bed as fast as possible. You are right, it will be nice to wake up fresh. Don't know how to get over the food association though, do the cravings just go away when the habit is no longer associated with something? Or is this a thing I will just have to live with?