Notices

Alcoholism and 7AM

Old 04-10-2020, 06:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism and 7AM

A pretty good friend of mine called me this morning at 6:58AM and he was very drunk. This is the 3rd time in a month. He owns a brick laying company and should be on the job site at 7AM, although things are understandably slow right now.

In the old days I would laugh and think it was kind of funny. Being of a sober mind, I felt sorry for him. After we exchanged pleasantries, I asked him very seriously if he was ok and maybe needed a ride to detox. He laughed it off. Really sad folks.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sad to hear but that's the reality of alcoholism. I was there too at that low point as well at one stage
Old 04-10-2020, 07:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've downed many a breakfast beer, or hopped on the "Mimosa Express" before 9:00 am, so no way would I throw stones, but am I glad those days are over.

It is sad Jeff--so many people are drinking more and more. It's hard to face boredom and work on developing interior resources, but honestly, I think that this thing will be going for awhile and perhaps we need to start thinking about that.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I've downed many a breakfast beer, or hoped on the "Mimosa Express" before 9:00 am, so no way would I throw stones, but am I glad those days are over.

It is sad Jeff--so many people are drinking more and more. It's hard to face boredom and work on developing interior resources, but honestly, I think that this thing will be going for awhile and perhaps we need to start thinking about that.
I am hoping you are wrong about this going on for awhile, but I am prepared if it does. The biggest thing for me is not being able to go to the gym. Other than that, I'm not real bothered by it. Its psychologically stressful.

Lastly, I should be expecting another phone call in about an hour and that will be my BIL. He's in California so due to the time difference, he will probably be calling in about an hour.....and he'll be drunk.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Honestly - I don't have conversations with people who are drunk.

It's like they say about teaching a pig to ride a bicycle...what's the point? Yeah, it's sad. It's also a waste of time and ends up making me feel worse.

My statement (once I realize they're drunk) is, "Mary, I would love to talk to you when you're sober, but obviously that's not going to be today. I hope you can find a way to quit drinking. Talk to you later."
Old 04-10-2020, 07:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I feel a wave of shame wash over me at the memory of my drunken phone calls. Friends and family that I called started out very happy for my call and when they figured out I had been drinking a lot, the conversation would become very stilted as they tried to figure out how to handle me.
I am soooo grateful those days are behind me!
It's good that these people see you doing fine without drinking, Jeff. Hopefully that will become a beacon for them.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't answer the phone. Or listen to a long message. It it was an actual cry for help, that's the unicorn and would be the only way I'd try to help him.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Gettingcloser View Post
I feel a wave of shame wash over me at the memory of my drunken phone calls. Friends and family that I called started out very happy for my call and when they figured out I had been drinking a lot, the conversation would become very stilted as they tried to figure out how to handle me.
It's good that these people see you doing fine without drinking, Jeff. Hopefully that will become a beacon for them.
same. I have done this sooooo many times. I always drunk dial people and email and text and everything.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Honestly - I don't have conversations with people who are drunk.

It's like they say about teaching a pig to ride a bicycle...what's the point? Yeah, it's sad. It's also a waste of time and ends up making me feel worse.

My statement (once I realize they're drunk) is, "Mary, I would love to talk to you when you're sober, but obviously that's not going to be today. I hope you can find a way to quit drinking. Talk to you later."
Bimini, I guess I answer because I remember what's its like for people to not answer when I called. And I knew why they didn't answer.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gettingcloser View Post
I think one of the reasons they call me is because they know that if I'm available, I'll take the call. And I do. My BIL sometimes will call at some very poor times, but I'll always make the effort to call back.

Its a habit I should probably break.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
same. I have done this sooooo many times. I always drunk dial people and email and text and everything.
I used to do all those things, as well as everything else I do in a day, drunk. I used to joke that unless I was driving to work I was drunk or drinking. I'm sure glad those days are over. Your friend is just not there yet. At that rate though it wont be long.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your friend gets it together Jeff.

I started drinking at home all day everyday when I was 'retired' due to ill health.
It's a very easy trap to fall into,

D
Old 04-10-2020, 04:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It could be that he drank so ridiculously heavy the night before that he was still intoxicated in the morning.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Thrillhou View Post
It could be that he drank so ridiculously heavy the night before that he was still intoxicated in the morning.
true. I've stayed up drinking all night myself.
Old 04-11-2020, 03:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thrillhou View Post
no, I wish it were the case. The guy is a trooper though because he called me again at 3PM, still drunk, never even remembered we spoke earlier.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I can Relate

I don’t know what it is about the early hours of the morning but that seemed the witching hour for me and for many it seems. I refer to it as an odd nostalgia.

Still drunk from the night before and the leftover wine seems fitting to finish off. Usually left me with a pleasant buzz till it became nonstop. I would end up drinking for three days and than had to fight a nasty hangover. Be okay for two days sometimes even three and go right back to it. So embarrassing. So sad. So pathetic.

I no longer pine for those early morning drinking sessions but it does trigger that odd nostalgia.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Waking up at an odd early hour and happy you've got some left? At that stage it's just a battle to keep the withdrawals at bay, and I'm anxious about the next drink while drinking the one I've got! Yeah morning drinking is a strange kind of hell.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It's very sad Jeff. I take the same approach as bimini. "Talk later", said kindly. Disengage gladly, with a sigh of relief. Makes me stronger, and reminds the person of the reality.

I can't engage. Not just because it's pointless, but because it makes me really anxious. Angry, too. It reminds me too of how thoughtless, self interested I was.

Like, who wouldn't want to talk to ME at 3:00am? Scintillating.
Old 04-12-2020, 03:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I cringe when I hear or see the behavior of very drunk people now...not cause I'm judging...but because i know that i used to be like that on a regular basis.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That is very sad Jeff. It is sad to bear witness to. I try to listen when that happens to me because I still love my friend who calls me hammered. But my modus operandi is to remind them early and often that they are going to be horrified tomorrow at who they called and texted and what they said. I hope your buddy doesn't drink his quarantine away and can use it to get some work done on himself, if he is indeed ready for that.