Notices

Self Doubt & Dentistry

Old 04-08-2020, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self Doubt & Dentistry

I am in the middle of fixing my dental situation, I need a top plate and a partial bottom. I went to a new dentist in February and thought parts of the chair were fairly grimy for a dental office, but thought my noticing this was just my anxiety. I went back yesterday to have impressions taken and was in a different exam room and noticed that this chair, though clearly wiped down all over, had grime on the power tool side. The bathroom was also kind of haphazardly cleaned and the toilet paper was 5 or 6 feet from the toilet. So I called up my insurance and changed my dentist and now I feel guilty for telling them the reason I was changing. I didn’t file a grievance, but now I feel guilty about possibly having made life worse for this dentist and his staff during the pandemic. Though I have to say I was also not keen on the idea of a dentist doing non-emergency work during these times. He wanted to start extractions yesterday if I was cool with it and as I wasn’t I agreed to next week. Now my head is swirling wondering if I did the right thing, I know I can’t change what’s done, but I’m wondering if it was dirty enough of an office for me to freak out and change dentists. I asked on Reddit and the reply I received made it seem like a dirty component on a dental chair was no reflection on the quality of the dentistry, but that I should go where I’m comfortable. I know in my heart of hearts that I was alarmed by the grime, which if I as a total slob noticed it- it had to definitely be obvious, but now I’m doubting myself. Should I have just said to the dentist yesterday that I would prefer to put non emergency work on pause until the pandemic improves? I took Step 3 last week, and am trying not to dwell on this and turn it over to my HP and remember that what’s done is done and that I did the right thing for me. But I just don’t know if I made the right choice after so many years of wrong choices. Grateful to have over 4 months sober and the absence of a desire to drink, but I am a little concerned that I am making a mountain out of a molehill.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I absolutely would have done the exact same thing.

Good for you. 100% the right thing to do. You don't want a medical professional who has a cleanliness problem, not just now but ever! My doctor and dentist offices have to be spotless, always.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree - no excuse for not having a sparkly office. As you said, it made you take notice so it couldn't have been a minor issue. You would never have felt comfortable or confident in him.

Congrats on your 4 mos. Cee.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My dentist keeps his office and his bathroom spotless, and I wouldn't break the blood tissue barrier in an office that was dirty either.

You should feel comfortable--I also think maybe consider telling him politely why you changed if you feel up to it. He could be losing a lot of patients due to this, and may not realize how important it is.

However, if you don't care to do that, I think walk away free of guilt no matter what
Old 04-08-2020, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know Hawk, wouldn't you think that would be Dentist 101?

Keep your equipment, your body and your offices as clean as is humanly possible.

Some people are just clueless. I wouldn't say anything. I don't go back to dirty restaurants or dirty hotels either.

Have you ever seen those TV reality shows about restaurants and hotels in trouble? The owners are clueless. People speak with their wallets and their feet. She (Cee) doesn't owe him anything.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies! I’m glad that I am not being overly judgmental, but looking out for myself and my health.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was unlucky enough to have an infection after a dental procedure - incredible pain.

You did the right thing.

We have an expectation about medical professionals that they be competent and not make our conditions worse.

D
Old 04-08-2020, 02:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If it suited a business purpose your dentist would dump you as a patient in about 3 seconds. You are paying good money for a very important health service. It should be done by the health professional of your choosing. Trust me your dentist won't give it a second thought if you get another dentist.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I don't know Hawk, wouldn't you think that would be Dentist 101?

Keep your equipment, your body and your offices as clean as is humanly possible.

Some people are just clueless. I wouldn't say anything. I don't go back to dirty restaurants or dirty hotels either.

Have you ever seen those TV reality shows about restaurants and hotels in trouble? The owners are clueless. People speak with their wallets and their feet. She (Cee) doesn't owe him anything.
Excellent point bim--maybe the dirt is a useful "warning" for those who can see it.

I have watched way too many episodes of kitchen nightmares for my own good

I pretty much won't eat out anyway as I react to seed oils and am so picky I prefer to cook at home for less money and typically better food.

Now, if Iived somewhere with excellent dining options that were clean and well-run, that would be another story. . . seed oils be dam$#@!
Old 04-08-2020, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is no reason to have a dirty dental office, in my opinion. You expect the dental equipment to be sterilized and the chair, office and counters should all be spotless.

And, going to a dentist during this pandemic is not something I'd do unless it was an emergency situation. You should not feel guilty about switching dentists for either reason. And, maybe if he loses a patient or three, he will change the way his office is cleaned.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's a pretty gross description you've given. My dentist is doing emergency appointments only right now. Don't worry about it. Don't tell him a thing. Good luck with your dental work.