Notices

Looking for sponsor

Old 04-06-2020, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for sponsor

Hello, I am Amanda an alcoholic, and am 16 days sober today. I am having a tough time finding a sponsor and know that I need to get active or I will get complacent which doesn't lead to anything good. I am from the Detroit Michigan area if there is anyone nearby or willing to sponsor from a distance I would be so grateful.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome tahirih7

I'm not in AA, but others may be able to help you.
Meetings are the best way to find a sponosr I think.

They're generally online now due to the pandemic.
Have you tried one of those?

D
Old 04-06-2020, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on 16 days sober! You might post your question in the "Alcoholism 12 step" forum a little further down the main index page.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-step-support/

I hope you can work something out to support your sobriety. Come here and post and read as often as you like. Lots of support and useful info here.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Amanda.

If you dont mind I will share my experience of my 2 different sponsors with you.

First things first is do not choose a guy. I know people do choose the different sex for sponsors but as a general rule of thumb its a big no no. Emotions are very raw in early recovery so the less stress on the head the better.

My first sponsor was great, he really looked after me in those early days. Looking back I do not know how I would have been without his ten years experience with the demon booze. He knew everything, the books, the centers, the counsellors, police, social workers, you name it. I was truley blessed to have him teach me about being humble, and about being honest with myself.

It was suggested to me that I ask him by one of the elders in AA to be my sponsor, and to be honest I didnt like doing this. I felt like the end of a bell I must admit. He became so much more than a sponsor, he became my total friend and I am forever thankful I had the chance to be his pupil.

Recovery evolves over time Amanda, what you know and feel today may not be that way tomorrow. And so it was with me.
I knew after about 3 years that I wanted to up my game in sobriety, that I wanted to cement my new way of living. I needed a more visible and on a daily basis sponsor in my life. Someone who only lived across the way from me, someone who I could have total trust in and who was very active in AA and the local community, he knows everyone. Up until this day sponsor number 2 is still very much in my life, he is a giant of light in my life. We talk when we need to, it works Amanda, but it only works if you work it.

I really hope you get yourself sorted. A hint for you, go for someone with 10 years or more sobriety who is active at almost every meeting. Good luck because lady, you deserve it.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nez

You can certainly dive into the twelve steps without a sponsor. A sponsor is not required nor needed, merely helpful because they have been through the steps. The big book pretty much tells a person how to work the steps in the first 164 pages. If start without a sponsor and run into a question, ask the question to another member who has already worked the twelve steps. Asking questions, just might reveal your sponsor to you.
“What you seek is seeking you.”
― Rumi