Notices

So bored and craving

Old 04-04-2020, 04:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Al5

So bored and craving

Hi all

Haven't had a drink in 14 months, but with this self isolation, being stuck in with 4 kids and a wife who enjoys a few glasses of wine some nights..... and the BOREDOM.... I am craving a drink.

I have been fine up until the last few nights but gradually the urge is getting stronger each night. I suffer OCD so the anxiety of being stuck in the house around the chaos and mess while trying to work, i just feel like i need something.

Don't get me wrong, I have pushed through this every evening, watched movies, got early nights, read books etc... yet I guess the feeling of something to look forward to and also draw a line between the hectic day and downtime in the eve is what's hard atm. Yes I know alcohol wont fix the issue...

Normally I'd be fine and I am sure others are finding right now an extraordinary challenge. My brain keeps saying that these are extrodinary circumstance so a few drinks for a while won't hurt then I'll stop again once we return to normal...

Just me ranting, thanks for reading.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Set your alarm for every 2 hours and when it rings, go for a walk. While walking, think about what you are grateful for. Thank the universe for your sobriety and go back to work. Try it for one week and come back and tell us about your experiences!
Old 04-04-2020, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Al5

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Set your alarm for every 2 hours and when it rings, go for a walk. While walking, think about what you are grateful for. Thank the universe for your sobriety and go back to work. Try it for one week and come back and tell us about your experiences!
It's a good suggestion, thanks. I've been getting out as you say when I can. It does help.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It seems a lot of people are feeling the same way. In my case coming on here to remind myself of all the reasons I stopped drinking is one way of dealing with the cravings.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Al5

Originally Posted by Bilbao View Post
It seems a lot of people are feeling the same way. In my case coming on here to remind myself of all the reasons I stopped drinking is one way of dealing with the cravings.
Yes I find SR immensely useful useful and credit the members here for helping me stop. I'll be checking in daily as normal.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm new to sobriety, but I could absolutely relate to what you wrote about needing that wind down ritual at the end of the hectic days. I took the advice of others on here and instead of reaching for alcohol to close out each day, I've been having some relaxing hot tea every night. It's become my new sipping ritual. It's really working for me. Far healthier replacement, and teas like chamomile really do seem to reduce stress. I heard lemon balm tea is good for tension too.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Al5 View Post
It's a good suggestion, thanks. I've been getting out as you say when I can. It does help.
You could throw in a run as well. That should get you feeling good.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My life is pretty much isolation by choice. I haven't been to a restaurant for months, but now that the option is no longer there, I want to go out and eat. I'm starting to be bored now that the options I seldom used are no longer there. I'm doing what I usually do, but for some reason am bored doing it. I think this will pass. It's just some kind of weird head game.

And speaking of head games, we are now in a new normal, and our AVs are certain to make an appearance and offer some cockamamie reason that this somehow deserves a drink.

One issue, maybe my only issue of any merit, is that I am recovering from a bad attack of gout, and haven't been able to hike for three weeks. I'm getting better fast now, but not fast enough to picture myself out in the woods for another week, and this is driving me a bit nuts, and I think this is the main reason for my restless boredom. Walking the trails is very important to me, and I'm sure once I'm at it again, things are going to be OK.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I craved like a crack head well into 3 years. I used all the moves to defeat the crave with my foundation being i have brain damage from decades of irresponsible over drinking.

I reference role models like Steven Tyler, Bass Ruten, and Joe Walsh. Other folks that I work with that either quit or have never taken a drink past the initial taste.

Drinking was was was a learned behavior. Ingesting a mind altering fermented neurotoxin was never intended for any earthly inhabitant.

i routinely forget about it and deal with life clear headed and not chemically altered.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Al5

I drank 14 months of sobriety gone.. Had a glass of wine, just thought why not have one..2 bottles later, now drinking gin. This serves as a reminder that even after months or years, it's still in us to get hammered. Just don't bother, not worth it. I don't feel deflated. I thought I could just have a glass like my wife. Obviously not. Good wake up call. Stay safe everyone
Old 04-04-2020, 09:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Al5

I am lucky as so am not in the situation as many here are with withdrawals or life threatening outcomes. I have had a longish period of sobriety to appreciate why we shouldnt drink and tonight served as a test, one I failed, but one I also am appreciative of because I feel it served as a market in. m y journey.

Keep pushing everyone.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry that you drank and yes, it's always there for us unfortunately and never goes away. Any chance of nipping this in the bud now and not continuing down the rabbit hole?
Old 04-04-2020, 09:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

And no, your 14 months of recovery is not gone either. I don't believe that once you take that first drink, you've lost all your time. View this as a blip on the radar, as long as you can pull out of it now and not drag it out
Old 04-04-2020, 10:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Al5

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
And no, your 14 months of recovery is not gone either. I don't believe that once you take that first drink, you've lost all your time. View this as a blip on the radar, as long as you can pull out of it now and not drag it out
I plan to seem to seek help from a counsellor, asap. I realise I need professional help as am also addicted to NRT and my anxiety issue are the cause. I too don't look at a relapse as a disaster and nothing lost, just gained. 1 day won't reset 14 months, just a blip
Old 04-04-2020, 10:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Rant away, I actually don't blame you. We are in historic times and we think about doing things we probably shouldn't during these times. Good on you for staying strong.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by Reid82 View Post
Sorry that you drank and yes, it's always there for us unfortunately and never goes away. Any chance of nipping this in the bud now and not continuing down the rabbit hole?
The thing is to do it, take an active role. Stay sober today and keep doing that. Don't leave it up to "any chances", he already has the power, the ever-present opportunity for sobriety. He needs to act and take advantage of this, from where he is right now at Day 1.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that you decided to drink after 14 months.

Are you able to come up with a plan so that this doesn't happen again?
Old 04-04-2020, 06:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Al5 View Post
I drank 14 months of sobriety gone.. Had a glass of wine, just thought why not have one..2 bottles later, now drinking gin. This serves as a reminder that even after months or years, it's still in us to get hammered. Just don't bother, not worth it. I don't feel deflated. I thought I could just have a glass like my wife. Obviously not. Good wake up call. Stay safe everyone

make it a blip and not a continuing relapse. Stop now.

Drinking doesn't solve boredom - action solves boredom.

If you're like me you have a million half done projects or things you were always planning to do around the home.

If you're up to date and you feel ok about being outside you could volunteer in your community - I'm guessing lots of things need doing out there right now.

Of course it may be that your problem is not boredom at all.

Tons of members here get bored, but don't drink.

Maybe it's a more robust recovery plan you need? More support? mor changes in your life?

D
Old 04-04-2020, 07:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Basically you fell for the oldest trick in the book ... "Its going to be different THIS time"

And it wasn't.

You ain't the first and you won't be the last.

I fell for it too after 2 years of sobriety.

Straight back up to my eyeballs in it and the plan was of course to just dip my toes.

All the best for getting back to sober. 👍
Old 04-04-2020, 09:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Mr

Morning AI5.
How are you doing today ?
Is it back up on the horse...