Notices

Hello

Old 04-02-2020, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hello all,
I found Sober Recovery while searching the internet
on the subject of alcohol abuse. To give you some background I grew up in a large family in the 70s where both my parents and their friends drank a lot. In fact I thought it was normal. I began drinking alcohol in high school. My father was an alcoholic and abusive to my mother. My mother died unexpectedly when I was a freshman in high school. My father stopped drinking for awhile and then in my senior year he started drinking again. So my sister and I left and moved to CT to live with my aunt. I stopped drinking at that point until I was on my own and of age. I would not say I drank excessively. Mostly on the weekends well into my 40s. I had gotten married, had two children. I always had a good job and quit to stay home when my children were born. My husband began having health issues. Up until that point we would usually have a glass or two of wine on Thursday and Saturday nights. Then my husband died unexpectedly five years ago and that’s when drinking became a problem. I would drink up to a bottle a day to cope with the grief. I’m not sure if I’m an alcoholic or if it were a situational thing but I knewI had to cut down. And so I quit cold turkey 46 days ago. I did not have any withdrawal symptoms. So here I am happy to learn more.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow! Sorry you had to go through all of that, but congratulations on 46 days. This is the most understanding and supportive group of people you can find, so jump right in and stick around.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Iamhighonlife - i am sorry for the loss of your husband and your mom.
great user name though!

D
Old 04-02-2020, 10:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome
Congratulations on your sobertime 👍
You have found a great resource here sober recovery. I suggest you join some recurrent threads by just introducing yourself.
Maybe the class of April 2020.
Stay safe...
Old 04-02-2020, 10:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. 46 days sober is a great start. You'll find lots of support and useful info here, so read and post as you like.

I am sorry for all the loss you've been thru. You can come here and talk any time you like.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all!
Old 04-03-2020, 01:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Iamhighonlife
Old 04-03-2020, 04:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Great start to your sobriety. You don't need to label yourself an alcoholic to get straight with all of it. It was causing you harm in your life and your relationship with booze was bad. That's all you need to know really. Do some learning and some searching. I am an alcoholic and that is an important thing for me to acknowledge. It might eventually be for you too, but whatever makes you stay quit going forward - do that.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 04-03-2020, 05:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iamhighonlife View Post
I’m not sure if I’m an alcoholic or if it were a situational thing but I knewI had to cut down. And so I quit cold turkey 46 days ago. I did not have any withdrawal symptoms. So here I am happy to learn more.[/left]
Congratulations on 46 days. I used to have the "am I an alcoholic" debate with myself for years, and it's not always an easy question to answer. My sponsor in AA one time said he used to wonder if he was an alcoholic or just a slob." He eventually decided he was an alcoholic. The problem is that the line between normie and alcoholic is about as blurred as as a psychological diagnosis can be, and psychological disorders are almost always blurry.

46 days without cravings, if that's what you mean by withdrawal symptoms, suggests to me that if you do have a problem, it would be what I call "mild." But alcoholism is progressive, and if you are one of us, it will get worse (and harder to quit).

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Life handed you a real challenge, but alcoholic or not, I'm quite certain that drinking is not the best way out there to deal with problems. I wish I never would have started. No one expects to be an alcoholic, but I was young and had to try it. For me, it did not turn out to be a good choice.