Notices

Sickness might be the cure.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sickness might be the cure.

I reckon this lockdown thing was an inciting factor but I had three days drinking after three sober months and ended each of them feeling really ill. That might not be unusual on the first day and would only serve as a motive to start drinking the next day to get over the hangover. Then I'd be back in the drunken habit with my tolerance back and might go on drinking for weeks or months.
But this time was different and I just lay there after drinking on the second evening with the room spinning while I suffered metal fatigue and the next day just the same. I'd have to back to almost forever ago to remember a time when I wanted to actually stop drinking while I was actually drinking.
Yesterday I never touched any alcohol as just the idea of it made me feel sick. This seems like a natural physical reaction to poisoning myself but it's just so alien to me. I wonder, has my body finally broken down and that there's now, finally, lasting damage done? Anyway what's done is done is done.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For many of us, the turning point is not a big fanfare but just waking up “done”.

What you are describing is pretty much my first day of quitting for good.
Something changed for me—deep inside my emotional self accepted what my intellectual self had known for years:

Alcohol was the problem, not a solution or escape, and that I wanted it out of my life forever. And I felt a glimmer of hope I could let it go because I finally wanted to, for real.

Maybe this is happening to you?
Old 04-02-2020, 05:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Indeed sickness was a huge part of why I decided to get sober. My gut was a mess! Sorry to be graphic but I was gassy and messy bowels all day,everyday! The nausea and having to pull over to puke.I just got tired of it!
Today is day 7 of being sober and I have none of the above mentioned. Feeling good and grateful!
Hang in there
Old 04-02-2020, 05:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

You stopped for 3 months so your body was healing. You drank. You probably drank much more than needed (tolerance lowered, but you are "used" to drinking a lot), but you drank and your body isn't recuperating as well. It just gets worse and worse. Stay stopped now, before really bad things happen to you. You got this!
Old 04-02-2020, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me my body was in terrible shape at the end of my drinking days. But the toll on my psyche was much much greater. The body can sustain much damage. So can the soul. But it was the life I was living in my mind that allowed me to hang up the drinking days for good.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
For many of us, the turning point is not a big fanfare but just waking up “done”.

What you are describing is pretty much my first day of quitting for good.
Something changed for me—deep inside my emotional self accepted what my intellectual self had known for years:

Alcohol was the problem, not a solution or escape, and that I wanted it out of my life forever. And I felt a glimmer of hope I could let it go because I finally wanted to, for real.

Maybe this is happening to you?
Exactly this.
What he/she said.