Notices

Recovery in during Covid19

Old 04-01-2020, 03:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery in during Covid19

So I was an alcoholic that could go to work and stay sober until I got off. then it was game on. Well then I was given a leave of absence and that is when I had no day to day structure and dank for 2 days and had alcohol poisoning. I suffered greatly through the first day thinking that my hangover would be over the next day. I woke up to the same shakes no sleep dry heaves swollen throat from the dry heaves. So I made the choice to go to the hospital on 3/26 in the middle of the pandemic. I was screened and admitted and taken care of. The biggest concern during my visit was my heart and BP. I was released on 3/29. I have slept great each night . 3/30 Monday I made an appt with my dr for 4/1 Wed. On Tuesday was doing research on rehabs and excited about going but before I would make my decision on my rehab I had to see my Dr and get an appt at a cardiologist. Then Tuesday night the bomb dropped.My company termed everyone off of LOA and canceled
my insurance. My hopes and excitement of going to a rehab went out the window. It is now Wed 4/1 afternoon.I have seen my Dr he said that if anyone could do this I could. I have been feeling great and been in a good mood. My trigger time for drinking is 1.00 pm and I have just had my first strong urge but passed. What makes this easier during this time is the bars are closed.What makes it harder is being unemployed with no insurance.Today is day 8 looking forward to day 9
Old 04-01-2020, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

BTW I suck at typing
Old 04-01-2020, 03:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
under new management

Welcome Canesfan81

Stick around this place, no closures or cancellations here, just lots of help and support 24/7!

Old 04-01-2020, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! If you're on day 8 sober, then you're past the worst of the withdrawal. As to what to do, I can't advise you as I live with my dog and cats and spend most of my day on the computer. I'd suggest you read and post here often. There are also good books to read to learn about recovery. We have a book list which is very helpful if you're looking for something to read.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ependence.html (Books on Recovery, Spirituality & Codependence)

My favorite recovery activity is walking my dog. It gets us out in the sunshine and fresh air and is good exercise for the body and soul.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR canesfan
Old 04-01-2020, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, I'm sorry you didn't get the option to go to rehab, but, you can get sober and stay sober anyways. There is a great support system here at SR.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR from a fellow Canes fan. I'm sorry about your job and insurance, it's a crazy time for everyone. But best faced sober and strong and healthy. You'll find a lot of support here. Congratulations on 8 days!
Old 04-01-2020, 05:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks to all of you!
Old 04-01-2020, 05:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

Welcome Canesfan. I'm glad you see the opportunity in the bars being closed. I wish you well with finding your own recovery path during this unusual time.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome here. This place is truly remarkable, it got me sober and continues to sustain my sobriety. No better time to get sober than right now. Congrats on getting here.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm truly sorry about your job.
This is even more of a reason to stay sober. Get through this nightmare in the best health you can be, so that you can be in the best possible position when it's time to look for work again.
Its tempting to think 'the ship is sinking so I may as well drink. I've struggled with those thoughts myself this week. But we all want to get out of this alive. We all want to recover our lives when this is over. Coming out the other side with a few months of heavy drinking under our belt is going to make things so much worse. Give yourself a fighting chance, we are all here to support you!
Old 04-02-2020, 05:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That does suck. I lost my job last monday. Read and post here often. It will put you in a good mindset to deal with quitting. If you make it the most important thing to you, you will make it. I managed to quit without going to rehab so it can be done. Welcome to the board and best of luck to you.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry about your loss of job Canesfan. Sorry too about your loss of insurance. In my experience getting sober is dependent on neither.

It would be good to go to rehab to get some space and support, but if it's not there don't let it hold you back.

Entirely doable Canesfan. Keep coming here. ~
Old 04-02-2020, 06:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I myself and my day 5 it has been a struggle and anxiety and the whole cloudy head glad you're doing well gives me hope that I can pull through this
Old 04-02-2020, 07:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, Canesfan! Stick around here an explore. There is a lot of wisdom!
Old 04-02-2020, 07:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Awesome effort so far Canesfan. Where you have the motivation rehab isn't always necessary. I didn't go and managed to work a plan on my own.

So sorry about your job and insurance. I hope things pick up soon and when you look back on this period you can say it was the incentive for many years of sobriety.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Canesfan. Ask your former employer about your COBRA rights. HR will know what that is. By law you can pay your own insurance premiums for a significant number of months. I don't know if that is an option for you because the total amount of the premium (you would pay both your share and the employer share), could be sky high and prohibitive. But if you could pay it for just a few months you might be able to get rehab covered.

Anyway, Steely is right, rehab or no rehab, we have to get this done. I'm 4+ months sober and it has been the best 4 months of my life. I'm not running anymore and nobody is chasing me.

I am an attorney and two of my main clients are the local Health Department and the local Emergency Management Department. I have been working 16 hours days 7 days a week for the last month. I never would have been able to do any of that using.

I think this COVID shy+ hitting the fan is a great reminder to all of us that the only way we can be ready to fight together is sober.