Notices

Aa

Old 03-28-2020, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Aa

So, AA is something which pops up a lot on threads here. It has been recommended to me before on posts I've made and it is something I've always considered but never taken the plunge.

Just curious, have you attended AA/do you attend AA and what was/is your experience?

Gray.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well, most AA meetings have moved to online right now. so it's a different experience. you could easily google AA in your area and learn about online meetings.

https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/updat...19-coronavirus
linked by permission AA World Services Inc.

Last edited by Dee74; 03-28-2020 at 05:54 PM. Reason: aa copyright requirement
Old 03-28-2020, 05:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ah yes, I assumed during these times they would be online. Thank you!
Old 03-28-2020, 06:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You know those rectangular speeding tickets the cops give you? In the police station they print them out attached to one another. I walked into my lawyers office with a string of tickets that were taller than me, I'm not that much under 6 ft tall. He starts reading them, " <the lords name in vane>, <my real name> , this one's an indictable offense, a felony. This means I gotta go to county court and hope they kick it back down to the local " Grabs these sheets of paper. "Its about time you got a divorce from alcohol" (I wasnt exactly a new client). " Go to 90 AA meetings in 90 days and each time get this paper signed"

This is a joke right. I still work full time, run, lift weights, begun dating a new woman. Where am i getting time for this? This was an emergency situation though, pretty serious legal trouble I better get to as many meetings as I can. I did 6 a week at first. You won't believe how much time you have on your hands when you get sober!

I had 2 days sober and looked up a local meeting at a church. Not sure which door to go in. Oh well it's just past start time, I'd be late anyway. Maybe I should just go have a beer and try this again tomorrow night. So I'm walking back to the car and a guy is walking into the meeting a few minutes late. "Hi, are you looking for the AA metting" Ahh, and I could just about taste that beer. Alright I'm caught guess I'll see what this is about.

I was 41 and had been a relatively functioning alcoholic since I was 14. I knew AA meant no drinking ever and I could never accept that. Until now, but there was even more to it than the legal charges, it was gas on an underlying fire.

We read step 1 and I heard so many points of view. Everybody reads a paragraph or two of literature. Either the person who just read will comment on what they read with the option to pass (you dont have to share "pass" is very common) or everyone reads and all comments at the end. Either in order by seats or raise your hand. Sometimes it's a speaker that may share for like 20 minutes and then take comments after. Different types of alcoholics but so much in common. So much humor in it too believe it or not. It's like you think like that too, wow I thought I was just nuts. Well maybe I am nuts but I'm not the only one.

At least for me once I saw the how it works chapter in the big book and step 1 of the 12 &12 that was a really good introduction to the program. It really made a light come on.

They love newcomers at meetings. To keep the gift of sobriety they have to give it away. An old timer, not even actually that much older than me but like almost 20 years sober stayed a bit after the meeting and talked to me. So I went home and dumped out all my alcohol.

The next meeting I tried same thing. Where the heck is this meeting, which door. This time the guy that came up would become my sponsor in a few weeks.

It's a simple program, get right with God, get right with yourself, get right with other people.

Some really struggle with or even seem to be traumatized by this God concept. It's simple, its early sobriety you don't have to solve the meaning of life today, just have to stay sober today. A God of your understanding. The universe or whatever. Something out there and it isn't you. The ability to accept life on life's terms.

I went a lot of meetings in my first couple of years now just a few per month but also like to read and post here.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA member

I attend AA,haven’t had a drink since my first meeting in 2003.Still go to at least two meetings a week.

Loads of meetings are online just now.I am on a Facebook page started a couple of weeks ago,here in the U.K.,almost 2,000 members,they have three meetings a day via Paltalk,you are never alone in AA.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not an AA person, but if you've considered it and you're curious, then give it a try once things get going again. Anything that helps you is worth a try.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Best thing I ever did.

Tried to stop drinking on my own power for years and despite my best efforts, it got worse ☹️
Old 03-28-2020, 07:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Joined AA in 1980, gullibly believed everything I was told, stupidly followed all their suggestions as set out in the basic text, and recovered. Haven't had a drink since.

For many years I have attended meetings to give back what I have been given, but also due to travel adventures , have gone months with no meetings, no problem.

There is a lot of ignorance and misinformation around, a lot of it coming from the AA fellowship which is distinct from the program. Many members do not find it necessary to follow the basic text, and often end up totally dependent on meetings for their sobriety. They could not go more than a few days without meetings before their life will start to fall apart. That is not what the program of Alcoholics Anonymous is about.

Rules that people object to, quite reasonably in my opinion, include things like you must adopt our beliefs, you will always have to go to meetings, you can't have a relationship for x years, you must obey your sponsor, you must ditch all your old friends (if you are lucky enough to have any left).

In real AA we will tell you what we did, and we have a wealth of experience about what worked and what didn't. We'll share that experience, explain the program, and after that it's up to you what you do with it. If you want our help, we'll happily give it, and thank you for the privilege.

And the first thing a program following AA will do is help you to decide if you even need our program. Many problem drinkers don't.

In my experience, which spans forty years, no one has ever questioned my personal beliefs, my sponsor never told me what to do, I got into an early relationship which quickly went bad, survived without drinking, and learned some valuable lessons, did not ditch my friends, went long periods without meetings (after the initial recovery period), and have had complete freedom to go anywhere and do anything that free men can do, as well as completely rejoining the mainstream of life.

All of that came from working the 12 steps quickly with a sponsor, then living the 24 hour program as laid out in the last three steps. It is so much simpler than many people would have you believe.

I am just one example of its effectiveness. The New York Times recently published extensive research indicating AA was the best path I could have chosen.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Court ordered AA got me on the right path/mindset to stop drinking. I had tried to stop for a couple years on my own and posting here from time to time (after benders). Once I got the right mindset going it made all the difference in the world. I only did AA for about 9mo(court ordered to 2Xwk for 90days) but, it was cool. Met some nice,like minded,folks.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Samantha

AA is such a good option for a lot of people who need support daily or weekly or any time!
I personally have been to many many many meetings and have never found the right fit for me. I just don't feel like I fit in and no one there has ever made me feel like I belong. Not sure if it has to do with the amount I drink or something like that but I still go every once in a while because I feel I need it.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mr

Hi Gray,
I recommend you give it a try like Anna.
I have used AA (meetings) in the past usually after I was deep down the rabbit hole.
Have to admit I have not read the BB so no remarks there. Sometimes depending on the meeting you can come across a pretty good group of people. I have been to meetings with 4 or 5 people and others where there were not enough chairs 30+...
Its all about what you want and put in...
Take care
Old 03-29-2020, 01:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yeah I attend here and there; I'm missing it a bit now. Each group usually has a slightly different vibe but you're always gonna hear plenty of good stuff. I gained a lot of support at AA and it's good to have somewhere to just go along if you're feeling squirrely.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I never went, but I would have if I'd found it too hard, once I got serious about sobriety. I sort of kept it in reserve.

I did get support from SR and my doctor, and that made a big difference.

If you've tried and tried without a program, whether it's AA or something else, then I suggest that support will be a useful tool for you.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I attend AA but I don't adhere to it 100%. I go to different support groups too, I follow and use other tools aswell.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have been attending AA meetings for a few weeks and I really enjoy them. Lately, we have been doing our AA meetings through Zoom for almost 2 weeks now and it is fantastic. A lot of people in our meetings miss the person-to-person vibe of actual in person meetings but with Zoom we can still have meetings online from the comfort of our place of residence and it works very well for all of us during these times.

Yesterday, I was able to attend five AA meetings and I already attended a meeting this morning and will attend another one later this afternoon.

It is great when we have people visiting us during our meetings from other states and I really do get a lot out of these meetings by hearing people's stories and struggles and what they are going through in life. We do meditations, book studies, discussions, we have speakers tell their story of addiction and recovery, all kinds of formats. It is wonderful.

Like one person said in our AA meeting this morning, "Connection is the opposite of addiction." It is so true that in these times isolation is the worst for the alcoholic so for us being able to stay connected through our online Zoom meetings and staying connected and calling each other via phone really helps a lot of us in our meetings a lot.

I would suggest looking up local meetings in your area and try an online meeting. My local group and other groups in my area use Zoom but there are other video conferencing platforms as well. You can go online and just look up AA meetings in a particular city or area and chances are you will find a meeting or meetings to attend.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

those 12 steps saved my life
Old 03-29-2020, 08:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
those 12 steps saved my life
I haven't started on the 12 steps yet with my sponsor but soon we will start on the 12 steps once I have some more sober time. I have had some relapses this week and last with very brief periods of sobriety in between and finally I am more than 48 hours sober and clean and hopefully I will start the 12 steps soon. I know in my AA meeting from yesterday they were discussing Step 5.

But I really look forward to my AA meetings. I enjoy the forum on here of course too but the AA meetings really help me a lot and it is good to talk to people even if it is via camera and audio on Zoom and just connect with other alcoholics and the support we get from each other is just absolutely amazing and fantastic.

There was even a lady in one of our AA meetings in tears and crying yesterday that is one year sober and she said that the reason she is able to stay sober is because of the people in our AA meetings as well as her sponsor and that it helped her a lot. Just going to meetings regularly and calling people she said even if it means calling 5 or 6 people via phone from our meeting ever day. That support she said is unlike anything she had ever experienced before.

AA really is a great fellowship that offers so much support for me.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your feedback, support and stories!!!

Gray.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Started AA after having gone to a meeting many years before with an AA member at his request. That made going to my first meeting (for myself) a bit easier. With meetings I was able to stay sober for periods lasting from a few days to a few months. I didn't like the god thing, didn't get a sponsor and did not work the steps.

After quite some time of going back and forth between drinking and AA meetings I decided to do something different. I got a sponsor and began to work the steps.

Being a died in the wool atheist, this was somewhat difficult. I mustered all the open mindedness I could and had a powerful spiritual experience. It changed my views of nearly everything in less than 20 minutes. I was actually afraid to tell anyone about it at first because I did not think anyone would believe me. I have come to believe that nothing short of that powerful experience would have given me what I needed.

I hesitate to talk about it because I think that talk of it sometimes frightens people not familiar with AA. I shouldn't. It's just my experience. I believe that's what you asked us for.

All the best to you.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
AA is such a good option for a lot of people who need support daily or weekly or any time!
I personally have been to many many many meetings and have never found the right fit for me. I just don't feel like I fit in and no one there has ever made me feel like I belong. Not sure if it has to do with the amount I drink or something like that but I still go every once in a while because I feel I need it.
I appreciate your honesty anxiousrock. It is unfortunate but I think your experience would be quite common. I travel a lot and am often in meetings where I am a new face, and I get that feeling too. Having been around a while, I am comfortable dealing with that, and I have my own practice to try and wake them up a bit for the benefit of the new comer. You have to be a bit cheeky to try it.

My entry to AA came via a 12 step call which seems to have helped me avoid that experience in the early days. I spent an afternoon with a recovered alcoholic and got a lot of questions answered. He then took me to my first meeting and introduced me as a newcomer. My abiding memory from that firsts meeting is one of being made very welcome. It was such an unusual experience.

Your first sentence is interesting too in that it states a common misconception that AA is a support group with the underlying idea that all alcoholics need constant support. Sure the newcomer needs help, but if someone is still going to AA after years without a drink, just for support, there is something wrong. The vast majority of my sober time in AA has been about giving support, not receiving it.

It is one of those things about independence that Bill emphasized in the pamphlet Emotional Sobriety. He discovered he had to break his dependence on all things human, even AA.