Notices

Dear alcohol

Old 03-28-2020, 03:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dear alcohol

I’ll miss you. I really, really will. We’ve had some great times together, such funny nights with endless laughter, you’ve always been there for me through thick and thin.

But something has changed. It’s not you, it’s me.

I’m ready to take back my life. To take back control.

I want to sleep peacefully, wake easily, think clearly, lose some weight and clean up my skin. Oh, and I want to have more money!

I want to see my family proud of me, respect me, have my children look up to me and my partner see me in a new light.

You’re holding me back, and it’s time that changed.

So farewell my old friend. I’ll keep you in my thoughts, but in a way that makes me proud of who I am, rather than disgusted with who I am. No more self hatred! You’re good at that.

��It’s time. It’s time for me now. I’m getting a new lease on life.

I read this once before and somehow it popped up again. I had to share.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Sammy, that was great.
I have moments of missing alcohol, but then I remember the sickness, anxiety and depression that came with it, and that those moments of chemically induced pleasure were just that, moments. I figured out that I got about 30 minutes a day of pleasure from drinking, and most of that was just a relief of the hangover I'd had all day. I keep that in the top of my mind now especially for those moments when I start to miss it.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's good
Old 03-28-2020, 04:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Was going to say. Seems like I have seen this before. Except I gained 40 lbs after I quit.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post sammy, be ready for a life change that is akin to a death of a loved one or a divorce. Its a MAJOR change in life. But its good, and you deserve it.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank for your letter, Sammy. I had to write a letter to my addiction in my last Treatment. Here it is:

"Dear alcohol,

I am writing this letter to say finally say goodbye. Our relationship has soured dramatically over the years. It started out as a love story but turned into a nightmare- but like an abusive partner I kept going back to you but no more.

You promised me happiness but only brought sorrow. You promised me hope but only brought despair. You promised to help me sleep at night but only gave me insomnia. You promised me courage but only made me in a recluse. You promised me new adventures but only sent me to the A&E Department. You promised me the truth but only told me lies- but no more. You twisted and turned my mind and turned me into something I hated- but no more. You robbed me of my time and energy and created so much chaos and confusion in my life- but no more.

I have to admit I've finally lost the war with you. I know you will want to stay in my life but we can't be together any longer, even for the brief "flings" like the last few years. Our time to finally part permanently has come.

I don't need the falseness in my life no longer. I want the life again before we met- one free of all the drama you have caused. I have chosen a new path to follow, to learn and listen to those who have previously followed this path so from the bottom of my heart, I don't ever want to see you again. Goodbye "
Old 03-28-2020, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love this. Resonates with me right now. Thanks for posting this.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been sober 110 days so far. I don't really even think about drinking anymore, it is no longer an option for me. The days are getting sunny and warm and for a second I think a cold beer would be nice but at the same time the thought of a buzz makes me sick.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's great thanks for sharing it, I'm going to reread it tomo to keep me going