Notices

It’s the Little Things

Old 03-27-2020, 11:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

It’s the Little Things

Things have been an adventure for me lately. I’m dealing with a pinched nerve, possibly a herniated disc, in my neck that’s causing me a lot of pain. The pain was so bad that I was clenching my jaw in my sleep and I broke one of my molars. So this morning, when it became apparent that it wasn’t going to “get better,” I called the dentist for an emergency appointment. They ended up sending me to a surgeon 10 minutes away to have the tooth extracted. Here’s the thing—I was able to take care of this because I was sober. I remember so many instances of being badly injured and not addressing the situation because I was too drunk to get myself to a doctor. But this time, things were easy. I made a call, got checked out, went to the surgeon, had my tooth pulled, and went home. It’s things like this that help me remember why I’m sober. Not only would I be dead pretty quickly if I was drinking, I also wouldn’t be able to take care of all of the daily mundane tasks that I so often take for granted. It’s good to be alive.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel better soon SH

D
Old 03-27-2020, 11:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Thanks Dee. The physical therapy is helping a lot. And having the broken tooth out makes a huge difference in quality of life. I won’t be woken up by excruciating pain in my jaw, and I can eat solid food.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sobriety is the only option for any quality of life for an alcoholic in my experience 🙏
Old 03-28-2020, 02:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love those realisations that thing s have changed and that being sober is so much better than drinking....

I will be debt free in the next couple of months. I have been in debt my whole adult life and it has been a very long road in gaining some control over my finances. Couldn't have done that while drinking!

Hope you feel better and thank you for your post xx
Old 03-28-2020, 04:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was clenching my jaw and broke a molar also. Did it while I was working out of town, I think as a result of getting terribly drunk each night in the hotel room. Broken tooth pulled, implant put in, about a month's pay gone just like that.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

My teeth seemed to be weaker when I was drinking. Sometimes it seemed they were made of chalk.

But, I bet it was from clinching. I had regular bouts of midnight palpitations every time I drank.

Crazy that I didn't quit sooner. I was a dead man.

I now know the only reason I kept drinking was addiction and a lack of education.

Crazy to think I have been thinking about smoking some pot.

I know it does the same long term mind fry as booze.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've often said in sobriety you can do anything. Because why?....you're sober. You can drive, be responsible, not need to pass out at some point, so you are present in life.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had the pinched nerve/herniated disc for a year and a half. It was a low back disc. Pain all down the back of my leg. I went to physical therapy twice a week for months but it never helped. My back/leg gradually got better on its own. That was 20 years ago and it never really came back. I hope it never does but I'm not sure a henniated disc repairs itself so maybe I still have it, just that its not pinching a nerve. Worse pain ever.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad you got to the dentist SweatyHands. Toothache is horrible.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

nothing compared to a pinched nerve
Old 03-29-2020, 09:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I appreciate the responses folks. Jaw is healing up quickly, and I’m slowly getting some relief from pain and regaining my range of motion from my physical therapy. No chance that any of this positive change would be possible if I was drowning myself in vodka.