Notices

Coronavirus (COVID 19) Thread part 2

Old 03-26-2020, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Coronavirus (COVID 19) Thread part 2

Hi folks

Normally we'd put the part 2 of a continuing thread in the Daily Support forum - but these are not ordinary times.

I think it's good to have a dedicated virus thread - its good that people have a place to discuss this incredibly life altering event, having a main thread should cut down on having too many similar threads all on the front page, and its easier for Anna and I to manage.

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 03-26-2020, 05:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

"And the people stayed home. And read books, and listened, and rested, and exercised, and made art, and played games, and learned new ways of being, and were still. And listened more deeply. Some meditated, some prayed, some danced. Some met their shadows. And the people began to think differently.

And the people healed. And, in the absence of people living in ignorant, dangerous, mindless, and heartless ways, the earth began to heal.

And when the danger passed, and the people joined together again, they grieved their losses, and made new choices, and dreamed new images, and created new ways to live and heal the earth fully, as they had been healed."

Kitty O'Meara, And The People Stayed Home
Old 03-26-2020, 05:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome.

I have 7 months today. Thanks everyone who helped, bimini,mera, everyone

I'm now waiting for the US government to stimulate me, or rather my bank account, but I'm grateful to not be in the hell I was in

That's an awesome post Dee. Thanks😀
Old 03-26-2020, 05:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 7 months SH

D
Old 03-26-2020, 06:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love that post Dee. I have to share it with my kiddo, who is really struggling with 'this'. I have to put myself in her shoes...being born in a 911 world, with mass shootings a norm and now a pandemic. It's all she knows.

One of the reasons I absolutely love human history is because it helps me put 'things' in perspective. Yes, times are tough. Especially for those of us who are fortunate enough to be sitting on the internet, with our heaters on (depending where you are of course, maybe its AC), our dogs at our feet, food in our kitchens...'we' don't understand adversity or shortage. We don't live with it daily, as much of the world does. I think of India, where there is so much poverty. A shelter in place will literally kill people. I think of war torn areas....this pandemic doesn't even make the cut.

I don't know. Much of human history the masses struggled just to survive. Child birth was a deadly undertaking. I think in some ways 'we' are at our best when we must come together to defeat a 'foe' whatever that foe may be.

When we aren't struggling, when we are fat and over indulged, it seems we create ways to struggle. We are depressed, anxious, addicted, self absorbed. I dunno what I'm saying.

Maybe something good will come out of this.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I absolutely get what you're saying, entropy. We who are priviledged to have enough can either feel entitled and put out or we can feel guilty and grateful. Humans.

ShiftHappens, big congrats on seven months and thank you for the shout out.

Love love that opening reading, Dee.

Blessings to all - everything is different but it will be okay. This won't last forever, but it is something none of us have lived through and we don't really have a very good plan...my governor told us when we went on lockdown, "We need to hit this hard. This is the only weapon we have to fight this right now. The more we all pull together on this, the sooner we can get back to normal."

Stay home. Stay safe.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

From page 25 of part 1:

from PeaceManic

If you're talking about less jackdoors, crows and seagulls, I guess it's probably because there's less takeaway food to scavenge? We're usually swamped with seagulls, 50 miles from the sea the cheeky beggars, but I haven't seen many recently.
Yes, the seagulls really are conspicuous by their absence at the moment. With many people at home, most of the food shops closed and the schools closed there's less scraps of food on the ground. I've seen one gull perched on a roof this morning. Normally there's loads of them around. I find them a bit threatening so the lack of them isn't too bad.

There's usually lots of magpies around but I've not seen any this week

from mikoss

I feed the birds outside of my house every day and there are quite a few of them. They only seem to come around at certain parts of the day. I put bird seed out for them to eat.

Mostly a lot of dove, blue jays, cardinals, finches, and a lot of other birds here. But a lot of dove. Or pigeons as they are also called. Sometimes there are upwards of 30 or more dove eating all at once.

And of course my squirrels eat with them too.
I've not seen many pigeons this week either! Though there's a number of them in an allotment (I think this called a community garden in the US) nearby. I'm not sure if this is just a British thing but some people breed and race them and someone living near me has a number of them housed in his allotment. Even they've been in hiding this week, usually they are flying about for a while on an almost daily basis.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Where I live, the squirrels (always plentiful) are playing chasey in the middle of the street now because there are no cars. How magic is that?

Old 03-26-2020, 08:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
From page 25 of part 1:

from PeaceManic

Yes, the seagulls really are conspicuous by their absence at the moment. With many people at home, most of the food shops closed and the schools closed there's less scraps of food on the ground. I've seen one gull perched on a roof this morning. Normally there's loads of them around. I find them a bit threatening so the lack of them isn't too bad.

There's usually lots of magpies around but I've not seen any this week

from mikoss

I've not seen many pigeons this week either! Though there's a number of them in an allotment (I think this called a community garden in the US) nearby. I'm not sure if this is just a British thing but some people breed and race them and someone living near me has a number of them housed in his allotment. Even they've been in hiding this week, usually they are flying about for a while on an almost daily basis.
We don't have a lot of seagulls around here but plenty of dove/pigeons. I just put out a lot of bird seed, corn, and peanuts for the squirrels. The pigeons were out for a while after I put out the food.

My squirrels are out right now eating and hiding/burying the peanuts. The squirrel I feed by hand got into a fight with another squirrel just a little while ago. I was feeding her peanuts from my hand and another squirrel came by and was eating a peanut from a stash I put in one place near a tree and the female squirrel that I feed by hand saw the other squirrel and attacked it and they got into a fight a few times until the other squirrel took off with the peanut still in its mouth. I put out so much food that there is enough for all of the squirrels and they still have to fight.

And then the squirrels even try to run off the pigeons that are eating bird seed but these pigeons hold their ground and still eat even though the squirrels try to bully them off. I swear these squirrels get so greedy over the food and want it all to themselves.

I have heard that people raise pigeons and race them and it is a hobby for a lot of people. People can even send messages to other people using pigeons just like they used in ancient times in Europe using ravens to send messages from different castles to get messages across. I guess that was the ancient method of cell phones back then. But I have heard that even to this day people use pigeons to send messages to each other. I think they are called homing pigeons.

Last edited by mikoss; 03-26-2020 at 08:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-26-2020, 08:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Where I live, the squirrels (always plentiful) are playing chasey in the middle of the street now because there are no cars. How magic is that?

Yes, I have seen even a roadrunner in the street the other day. It was funny watching this roadrunner run up and down the street. It would run all the way down the street and run all the way back again and just going up and down the street over and over again. Like it was showing off how fast it was.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ShiftHappens View Post
Awesome.

I have 7 months today. Thanks everyone who helped, bimini,mera, everyone

I'm now waiting for the US government to stimulate me, or rather my bank account, but I'm grateful to not be in the hell I was in

That's an awesome post Dee. Thanks😀
Congrats on 7 months! well done.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your opening post was beautiful Dee.

Earth has no shadow and the sky no corners. Look up, it's awesome. Tomorrow we will play solitaire and I'll be glad to be alive.

Stupid virus.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

SH, congrats on seven months sober!
Old 03-26-2020, 09:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for posting this beautiful poem, Dee.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

That's a beautiful poem, Dee! Thanks for all you do here, and Anna too for that matter!

My wife and I are staying sober, and I actually had three months of "training" for stay-at-home this fall and winter. But I got a job February 1, and to say the owner of the business (shellfish farm) was excited about the summer is an understatement. They were doing construction, had hired a chef, and had me make 1,000 oyster bags and 10,000 square feet of clam net before this crisis hit.

I am attending all of our group's AA meetings online, although there is no meeting today (Thursday was usually the rebellious "Back to Basics" Group's Big Book study, but that group did not go online with their meetings. That meeting was fun! Just try to read Bill Wilson's "To The Wives" and keep a straight face!)

So I'm here for today. Well, here and the Amtrak Unlimited forum and Facebook. I guess I'll search for another meeting online, but I'm a little leary of barging in on a small group's regular meeting.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

No delivery slots available from any supermarket that delivers to my area for at least 6 weeks, no slots for click and collect either. Now the supermarkets have implemented a limit on people being in the store the queues to get in and shop are ridiculous. I am getting worried now as I didn’t stockpile and have only been shopping once a week for the past 3 weeks. This is forcing me to have to go driving round many shops tomorrow to try and get what I need which I really don’t want to have to do. I am really angry with those that are not staying home acting like nothing is happening and those that stockpiled and hoarded as this is why things are in such a mess. Just needed to get that out!! x
Old 03-26-2020, 10:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yeah, I hear you love. And so sorry this is happening there. s xx ❤️
Old 03-26-2020, 10:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

struggling

Hey everyone,

So today is my first day using this site. One of my counselor's referred me to a few different positive resources to keep me on track during this time. This whole epidemic is creating an even more internal struggle and challenge for myself this time in my recovering process. Not only do I daily battle the harsh temptations and obstacles of addiction but I'm also recovering from open heart surgery. Back in October of last year, I got really sick and when finally admitting myself to the hospital following an overdose, the doctors discovered that I had an infection which had gotten into my blood stream and spread to my heart and lungs -- endocarditis if anyone is familiar with the name. That's just a short summary in a nutshell of what happened.

Never in a million years did I dream that would happen to me. It just feels like that every day there's another outlet that's taken from me that helps me to stay on track. My clinic shutting down which is where I also do therapy, my church cancelling services, my physical therapy office now closed where I would exercise and build back my strength, among many other things that I turned to after surviving. At first, it didn't really bother me but as things continue to close down, it's getting harder and harder.

I know that this is just another test for myself to work through and become stronger by not turning to any substance use but when that's the only thing that I've known for so long to take up my leisurely activity time and any other spare time in my life for that matter, it makes things hard to substitute out. The COVID-19 virus is an epidemic nationally for everyone and I never, ever imagined that I would be healing from a surgery that could've taken my life, fighting my addiction after being administered the narcotics following and prior to my surgery that could have caused me to relapse, and having to work daily on getting back to my normal health and strength that I've taken for granted for so many years.

I know I may be ranting but I guess what I'm really getting at is that resources like this will bring me hope that things can get better and that they don't have to turn for the worse. I am struggling with finding things to do though to prevent me from back sliding in this process. "Idle time makes for the devil's work" is what I've been told throughout my life and I've never seen more truth in that statement until recently. So, if anyone has any suggestions, words of encouragement, or even can just relate to what I'm going through and how this feels, I'd love to hear that I'm not alone. That always seems to make things slowly get easier when an individual knows that there are others who've made it through their struggles or that are right there with them fighting that fight....

Thanks for listening guys.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I had my first meltdown today. I've been pretty even thru all this and my sweet husband taking over the second br as the "War Room" to work while my "office" is the kitchen island has been really cool.

This week, I have been working hours (HOURS) every day to get our restaurant industry group on a national plane with zoom meetings every day, Instagram accounts for every city (15- we had to postpone Boston of course, as it was supposed to start this wk) and on and on. Which has been awesome and I have been valued and valuable.

But. All I have done is be here and take short trips to the grocery down the st. I'm ok with that. But my GAD hit pretty hard on my step daughter's birthday and I just couldn't go to the planned brunch- and it was her 18th and so on. Today was the real meltdown, tho - my husband usually has bfast with her once a week and they are close, and he did go to see her that Sun - but I just can't do dinner tonight like we planned. He planned, really. I get that he wants to see her. But I know she has been spending time with her BF and his parents, I know her mom and bf see things very differently that me about [everything], that the bf has two teenage sons....get where I'm going about social distancing??

I broke down in tears and thank God my husband gets me. It's taken a couple years for him to really "get" what anxiety disorder is and of course she won't really get why I am not going to be there tonight. He's the only person I have been near other than the occasional grocery run at off times. My swim center and yoga place closed and I have been walking outside. But my husband is high up in one of our big public school systems (which btw GA gov just announced all will stay out of school til April 24) so he was exposed a couple weeks before anyone realized what this was going to be.

Itching all over (I get it on my hands when stressed so it has been out of control today), sobbing, a lot of honesty about what I can't handle...I needed to get it all out here!

I've done a lot of online mtgs like others but this really doesn't feel like an "AA topic" if that makes sense. We've even done Al Anon twice.

It's a couple hours later and after a bath and a lot of lotion and real clothes and a little food, I am calmer. A grounding exercise that I know helps is the 5-4-3-2-1 thing.

I'm starting to ramble so that's it for now. Take care everyone.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR dear sayitbruh12 s xx ❤️

Not a rant at all.....gosh, you have been through a lot. So much love. s

This site saved my life....how wonderful that counsellors are now recommending it as a resource.

Here's a few threads you may like and/or find useful.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ch-2020-a.html (StayCation Weekend - Weekenders 27- 30 March 2020)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...art-479-a.html (24 Hour Recovery Connections Part 479)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-two.html