Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus (why I don't get scared) Vs. Alcohol Deaths - globally

Notices

Old 03-24-2020, 09:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

As I'm coming up on 4.5 months (day 130 tomorrow) I'm thinking about this one more and more alone myself.

Last 100 days since the coronavirus started or around here is the point at which it started.

Corona virus deaths - 19,000

1.24 million deaths from car crashes globally (roughly)

Car Crash deaths - roughly 335,000 car crash deaths have happened in the last 100 days.

3 million or roughly 3 million die from alcohol each year.

Drinking deaths globally in the last 100 days...

820,000 (roughly) if not just 800,000 (roughly) drinking deaths in the last 100 days Vs. the coronavirus which is currently at 19,000 or so deaths in the last 100 days.

People literally go to the store to buy their poison (alcohol) which later kills them. Also remember that the coronavirus hasn't been around for the last 100 years or so to as well like alcohol has and/or alcohol deaths.

Why don't we ever have panics for drinking deaths or just for people drinking alcohol that is?! Last 100 days alone with roughly 800,000 deaths from alcohol Vs. the coronavirus which is around 19,000 deaths in the last 100 days.

Car crashes is somewhere around a 1,000,000 at least.

Alcohol is somewhere around 2.5 million to 3 million or so deaths annually. It seems to be around 2.8 million though if not that 3 million number.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcoholism isn't contagious and can't infect half the population of the United States within a year.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Alcoholism isn't contagious and can't infect half the population of the United States within a year.
How much of that is fear talking though? When is the last time something like that has happened? When is the last time anything like that has happened (not saying it couldn't).

https://www.cdc.gov/plague/maps/index.html

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...pandemics.html

"From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus." - link above

It's fear conditioning time and time (fear and cycles playing out each and every time to create massive fear) again to me personally and nothing ever really happens, but millions of people die each year alone from alcohol alone. 50,000,000 (VS. the 12,469 deaths alone above that I have bolded - time span of roughly 1 year would probably be 2.5 millon drinking or alcohol related deaths from 2009 to 2010. - this one is globally though) people have died from alcohol or from alcohol related deaths probably in the last 25 years globally alone (maybe 30 years alone - it's right around here somewhere.). That's just alcohol alone and you could even get into cancers as well as other stuff.

From the link above again plus I added in some of my own comparisons...

"Additionally, CDC estimated that 151,700-575,400 (Vs. roughly 2,500,000 deaths from drinking or alcohol alone that year) people worldwide died from (H1N1)pdm09 virus infection during the first year the virus circulated... still 2.5 million people roughly died from alcohol or drinking alone globally to compare it globally here.

12,000 deaths - H1N1 from 2009 - 2010 time frame. This is just that more or so to me again.

https://www.healthline.com/health/wo...eaks-history#1

People literally play video games around this type of stuff alone and have fun nowadays doing so thinking a virus broke out and it's the end of the world or something like that at that point or it's all doomed at least with chaos breaking out (I don't agree with it... never played this game myself from what I recall or maybe I tried it). h1n1 - figure is h1z1 (video game). After the virus killed off millions if not billions globally. People play these video games for fun. Never really liked h1z1 myself and I think I only checked it out.

https://www.h1z1.com/home
Old 03-24-2020, 11:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Can't edit the post above. Forgot to mention.

Since it's not contagious it might make it even worse at that point since people freely choose or pick or decide for that matter to poison their own body at that point (breaking the drug psychology or drug acceptance psychology in my own head on this one... that since it isn't contagious it's somehow better and it's not worse at that point since it's not in fact "contagious"- what I do personally myself to break drug psychology or that stupid drug acceptance psychology for that matter.). Just because it isn't contagious (maybe through peer pressure only) doesn't make it any worse or any better at that point.

They walk into the store and say they want to purchase a product that kills roughly 2.7-3 million people each year. Saying I want this one or that one and I don't care that it kills 2.7-3 million people each year.

Also when is the last time anything has infected half the population of The United States alone (maybe 1918 with the first influenza virus - but that was back in 1918 or over 100 years ago - again not saying anything couldn't happen - pretty sure it wasn't over 50% to as well since that was 1/3rd the world population it infected back in 1918 from the CDCs website or the link in the original post?

When is the last time anything has infected over 50% of the population in the United States? Besides the ****** pop or hiphop type stuff when it comes to what they call music alone... That's best left for another day.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Be aware of the normalcy bias. The amount of car accidents, bee stings and H1N1 won't affect future events. In NYC the amount of cases is doubling every three days. CoV-2 is highly highly contagious, moreso than the vast majority of past diseases with (about R2.25 right now- anything over 1 is quite easy to spread).

There's no reason to "get scared" but there's good cause for concern. Wash your hands, avoid crowds and take this pandemic seriously.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
Be aware of the normalcy bias. The amount of car accidents, bee stings and H1N1 won't affect future events. In NYC the amount of cases is doubling every three days. CoV-2 is highly highly contagious, moreso than the vast majority of past diseases with (about R2.25 right now- anything over 1 is quite easy to spread).

There's no reason to "get scared" but there's good cause for concern. Wash your hands, avoid crowds and take this pandemic seriously.
They always say that kind of stuff usually. That it's more than the last one or in that realm. Maybe not always, but I've heard that one before in the past.

I'm somewhat concerned that a car might hit me while walking and I might die or I might get in a car crash and die. I'm somewhat concerned that if I keep drinking I might die due to drinking. I'm somewhat concerned that I might die from skin cancer (coronavirus realm). If I'm somewhat concerned about the coronavirus I'm somewhat concerned just like every other day for the most part. Maybe just clean a bit more and wash my hands is all, but I do that every time already. I even do the double washes (I couldn't stand washing my hands for 20 seconds so I wash my hands twice for like 5-10 seconds each time). I don't get the flu shot and I haven't been sick in years (2016 time frame last time I was sick). I am young though to myself.

For the most part though I'm not concerned. I could die from so many things and just choose not to live my life that way at all.

---

side note on the whole natural thing to as well. I had this one going for a while.

drug psychology breaking or drug acceptance psychology breaking that since it's natural it's safer or that you can't overdose from it that it's somehow safer. Weed in the past alone...

Smoke weed and quit drinking water completely then since it's "natural" and you can't "overdose" then... You can't overdose on weed, but water can be overdosed from and you can die from drinking too much water (water intoxication). I don't smoke weed (obviously) and haven't had anything to even do with weed in like 5 years alone. Just exposing the loony logic as I can't stand drug psychology or drug acceptance psychology alone myself. Government wouldn't give me a challenge (dare program back in the day especially), but the druggies would and still do to this day. So I took that one and that's how I got to that water is more dangerous than weed when it comes to "overdosing" alone, but they are both "natural" so I'll give it that. Two variables alone. "Natural" + "overdoses" = ???

Not saying weed is "safe" though is what I don't want to tell anyone and weed can cause someone to do something stupid and die though to as well.

https://www.healthline.com/health/ho...-you#first-aid

last part is kind of rambling on (drug acceptance psychology) alone.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No one cares about alcoholics dieing from alcoholism.

The pervading attitude really is "they do it to themselves"
"I don't know why they can't just have a couple of glasses, like I can"
"They obviously have no self control"
"They just enjoy getting wasted all the time"
"They're so weak to fall prey to addiction" plus dozens of
other descriptions that basically amount to nothing except people looking down their noses at us.

All of which stems from a vast array of ignorance, but again, no one cares enough to educate themselves anyways.

So long as it's not happening to them, they couldn't care less.

Its been like that since man first crushed grapes, some 4000 years ago and it probably won't change anytime soon.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with MythofSysyphus.

Please understand exponential growth.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I must admit I'm a bit tired of people comparing this virus to things like cancer, alcoholism, heart disease... which as has been duly noted, are not contagious like this.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Opinion. It stops there. As long as people wanting to look at the math like this are washing their hands, staying home and generally protecting themselves and the public, have at the math.

I would expect the same from an alcoholic. Go at it if you must, but don't drive drunk and put others in danger.

If one has HIV or another STD I would expect that this person would inform any potential partners and use condoms/protective measures to not infect others.

That kind of thing.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
I must admit I'm a bit tired of people comparing this virus to things like cancer, alcoholism, heart disease... which as has been duly noted, are not contagious like this.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Opinion. It stops there. As long as people wanting to look at the math like this are washing their hands, staying home and generally protecting themselves and the public, have at the math.

I would expect the same from an alcoholic. Go at it if you must, but don't drive drunk and put others in danger.

If one has HIV or another STD I would expect that this person would inform any potential partners and use condoms/protective measures to not infect others.

That kind of thing.
What about it being contagious though that makes it so bad (people do things freely or choose to do it to themselves - how does that make it any different for the most part)? That you just walk past someone who is coughing or you touch something and it spreads to you?

I was never in the alcoholic realm myself per say - I was worried I was going to reach that realm (why I quit roughly 4.5 months ago). I quit before it got that bad, but I did have my time with 8-10 beers in one night (roughly 4-5x a month or so and not always that many).

At what math though? 19,000 have died in the last 100 days. 800,000 people or so have died from alcohol alone or around there in that time frame.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The 800,000 people you talk about are not growing exponentially Mathematics.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
The 800,000 people you talk about are not growing exponentially Mathematics.
It's still at 19,000 though...

Growing exponentially so will the coronavirus be 5x-10x (up to 200,000 deaths) as many deaths before alcohol deaths or alcohol related deaths hit 1.6 million in the next 100 days or so? Going to time stamp this just to see because I feel it's a lie they tell us time and time again. The fear conditioning they use alone time and time again.

800k first 100 days - 800k in the next 100 days (roughly from alcohol). That would still be less than alcohol alone if it's not over 200,000 deaths (exponentially) in the next 100 days.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mathematics View Post
What about it being contagious though that makes it so bad (people do things freely or choose to do it to themselves - how does that make it any different for the most part)? That you just walk past someone who is coughing or you touch something and it spreads to you?

At what math though? 19,000 have died in the last 100 days. 800,000 people or so have died from alcohol alone or around there in that time frame.
It appears that we are on two very different wavelengths so I won't get into all the gritty details.
The only thing I will respond to is your question "what about it being contagious that makes it so bad?" The fact is, everyone in the entire world can take concrete actions to prevent the spread. Responsible, civic duty to stop others from getting sick.

It is the law to drive safely and follow the rules of the road, but yes, accidents do happen- accidents. If someone drives dangerously (or drunk) they are punished accordingly because putting others in danger is not allowed.
If an alcoholic gets into a bar fight or abuses their spouse or children they are punished accordingly.
If someone with HIV knowingly has unprotected sex with others without telling the other person they are punished accordingly.
It is the "knowingly putting other people in danger" part that is the difference.
If someone dies of cancer, heart disease or AIDS or alcoholism they are not punished because they didn't do anything wrong, it is just a sad truth about those (and other diseases). If a school bus flips over because an animal ran into the road and the driver swerves despite going the speed limit and following all of the rules, they are not punished because they were doing everything right but freak accidents happen.

Here we have a situation where every single medical group/professional/etc agrees that this is highly contagious and the way to stop the spread is to be socially responsible. This is why in Italy for example you can be fined and sentenced to jail for being out for no good reason. If you go out with symptoms or know that you are positive you can be charged with homicide.

Feel free to respond but I have nothing more to add.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
It appears that we are on two very different wavelengths so I won't get into all the gritty details.
The only thing I will respond to is your question "what about it being contagious that makes it so bad?" The fact is, everyone in the entire world can take concrete actions to prevent the spread. Responsible, civic duty to stop others from getting sick.

It is the law to drive safely and follow the rules of the road, but yes, accidents do happen- accidents. If someone drives dangerously (or drunk) they are punished accordingly because putting others in danger is not allowed.
If an alcoholic gets into a bar fight or abuses their spouse or children they are punished accordingly.
If someone with HIV knowingly has unprotected sex with others without telling the other person they are punished accordingly.
It is the "knowingly putting other people in danger" part that is the difference.
If someone dies of cancer, heart disease or AIDS or alcoholism they are not punished because they didn't do anything wrong, it is just a sad truth about those (and other diseases). If a school bus flips over because an animal ran into the road and the driver swerves despite going the speed limit and following all of the rules, they are not punished because they were doing everything right but freak accidents happen.

Here we have a situation where every single medical group/professional/etc agrees that this is highly contagious and the way to stop the spread is to be socially responsible. This is why in Italy for example you can be fined and sentenced to jail for being out for no good reason. If you go out with symptoms or know that you are positive you can be charged with homicide.

Feel free to respond but I have nothing more to add.
I wasn't disagreeing with you on prevention measures, but the same could be said about drinking preventive measures to prevent drinking or alcohol deaths (alcohol related deaths to as well). It's just that people go into mass fear mode or panic mode (fear mode or panic mode is nothing to do with preventive measures for the most part it's that people are overreacting - I never disagreed with preventive measures.) at times while overlooking things like alcohol alone and preventive measures when it comes to alcohol. Alcohol is basically mass poisoning to me personally. It can wreck or ruin countries to me personally. I see alcohol as a massive biological weapon (poison realm of biological weapons - biological weapon could be anything like a sword) at times myself to look at it from that standpoint alone.

I'm around the age of 30. Never had a speeding ticket, never been in a bar fight, never abused spouse or children (don't have one yet - that entire mess when it comes to society is another topic for another day alone - when it comes to all the premarital sex, partying, drugs and/or etc alone - again leave this for another day, but for now at least), never had HIV (I was raised very strict Catholic at times so I've never been one to just sleep with anyone and I was basically a Catholic Priest at times especially when I was younger - I stayed in shape as a runner, lifter, jogger, and/or etc to as well, but avoided sex and such alone completely even if it was for a few years - I've always been extremely conservative for the most part on this alone though or was in the past heavily time and time again), never put anyone else in danger for the most part that wasn't already really doing something themselves (never been arrested for anything violent or to cause harm to another human anyways that was illegal) and/or etc so I can't really relate at all there to any of that alone. I've been extremely strict Roman Catholic at times in my life so I did avoid many problems alone that way.

I never said anything when it came to precaution. It's the fact that it's over hyped or all of that type of stuff is over hyped time and time again.

edit - Maybe the same could be said about alcohol (poisoning) - that children or kids seeing advertisements alone could be the reason for their death somewhere down the road if not the social and/or peer pressures around drinking and maybe being successful alone. That spreading drinking or alcohol to anyone could be the reason or what leads to their death to as well somewhere down the road as well.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Quote: "How does it make it any different for the most part?"

Because if you spill a beer on someone they don't become an alcoholic. If you spill the virus through cough, touch, etc., you can get coronavirus.

Theoretically, and without intervention (hand washing, isolation, etc.) exponential growth could wipe out everyone.

Nothing more to add.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Quote: "How does it make it any different for the most part?"

Because if you spill a beer on someone they don't become an alcoholic. If you spill the virus through cough, touch, etc., you can get coronavirus. Exponentially.

Nothing more to add.
But in some if not many places drinking or alcohol is spread basically everywhere if not close to basically everywhere as completely fine for the most part. It's completely fine to drink this poison if you are 18+ if not 21+ (depending on location). It's completely fine to drink this poison and you will see this poison or alcohol everywhere (it's being spread basically everywhere for the most part) from advertisements to shops if not on the TV and maybe during massive sporting events. It's completely fine to drink a poison like alcohol for the most part. It's completely fine to drink a poison that kills 2.7-3 million people each year, but the coronavirus which is yet to even reach 50k deaths is completely feared and/or is hyped completely (my own view - time and time again they tell us this type of stuff, but it usually dies off at some point eventually - time and time again it dies off at some point usually never reaching anything over 100,000 deaths).

There has never been one situation where the entire planet was wiped out completely by anything like a virus or anything like that (Do I even dare say recorded history since I'm writing this right now?).

Giant asteroid could wipe everyone out tomorrow (not going to go into anything Biblical here, but to just say for this for now). An asteroid could hit the Earth and destroy it completely.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I as do many others have a very different viewpoint than yourself Maths but I am not going to debate it with you.

Maybe with the attitude you are taking maybe some volunteer work out in the community to help those that are being impacted would be good for you, and in turn help others that are really struggling. I think that would be a more positive use of your time, effort and energy. xx
Old 03-25-2020, 01:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MantaLady View Post
I as do many others have a very different viewpoint than yourself Maths but I am not going to debate it with you.

Maybe with the attitude you are taking maybe some volunteer work out in the community to help those that are being impacted would be good for you, and in turn help others that are really struggling. I think that would be a more positive use of your time, effort and energy. xx
coronavirus is nothing to me. Not going to waste my time on the lie like usual. coronavirus = the lies time and time again is all. Just another distraction is all I figure for the most part. Dow or the stock market just lost 10k (28.5k to 18.5k or 28500 to 18500) (did rebound to roughly 20,500 though or is roughly 2,000 up from the 18,500 place it plunged to before. - Is it going to get worse in the next coming months if not year or two to get to a 2nd great depression (economy drops out or the stock market drops out) or will it just be a severe recession with much stagnation in the long run into something like a 2nd great depression 5+ years down the road? Just another distraction is all to me personally when it comes to the coronavirus alone.

---

also from the post above... Theory...

"Theoretically" - through math and/or mathematics alone. What does "Theoretically" or just "Theory" as variables on their own even equate to? Theory = ?!?!? - Again a theory of a giant asteroid hitting Earth in the next day or so is just some theory as well. Does it equate to something or does it equate to nothing?
Old 03-25-2020, 02:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

If Coronavirus is nothing to you then you are in a great place and mindset to be of service to your fellow humans. I know of people who are unable to pay their rent and are terrified, elderly folk who cannot get out to buy food. How does what your saying help anyone or bring us together. The only thing it helps is your ego, I know that is a harsh thing to say but in these times we need to put our egos to one side and start to help each other through.

If you’re not part of the solution your part of the problem. You’re not going to intellectualise a way out of this. You’re clearly very bright and I think it’s a shame you are using it this way. xx
Old 03-25-2020, 02:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Mathematics approach is not intellectual. It's dangerous, and shows zero understanding.