Notices

Tired at four weeks

Old 03-24-2020, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired at four weeks

Hi everyone

I'm coming up four weeks on Thursday. Moving forward slowly and steadily. I attended two SMART two every groups hut they're cancelled now...I'm going to therapy once a week...I'm being healthy and eating well and exercising a lot. And LOADS of family time as kids are home with me all day every day (I love it to be honest, not sure I will after 15 weeks of it?!?!)

My question to you all is this - at my stage of sobriety who else was SUPER tired? I'm sleeping well but from 4pm onwards I'm just done in. Eat tea with the family but I'm nackered. It's quite nice going to bed like that but it's a long old evening

Solidarity, advice and experience would be welcome

Be
Old 03-24-2020, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

It could be related to early recovery...

...except I'm tired too and I have over nine years sobriety. I think it has a lot to do with the current situation. Anxiety and concern can be exhausting.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was very sleepy / tired in early sobriety too Be. I think the alcohol was an "artificial evening stimulant" as I would typically drink when arriving home knackered from work. The bottle of wine, or martini, was a "pick-me-up" that gave me energy for awhile but not for real--I think in hindsight it was building up a debt of fatigue which I had to pay when I quit drinking. Alcohol is actually pretty toxic, and it wrecks havoc on the system, metabolizing like sugar and causing insulin resistance over time.

I would just go with it for now and go to bed early. It gives you a safe "out" when you are craving, and supports your body and mind as you heal from this and learn a new way of life. It does take time, but consider how long you drank. Recovery is far shorter then that

Well done on your sobriety and community / family efforts Be. You are doing a fantastic job building real recovery--
Old 03-24-2020, 12:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I was actively drinking I had a mug of coffee in the morning and that was it. Now, I do get tired in the afternoon and will drink a caffeinated soda. It has just been an adjustment in my life.

I agree with doggonecarl that it just might be our current times.

Great job on your sober time.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I was extremely exhausted! It will change, in time. If you search, you can find online SMART meetings!
Old 03-24-2020, 12:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I didn't experience this but a couple of people in my Intensive Outpatient did. The two guys had their energy cycles reversed. One couldn't sleep much for a few weeks and then was extremely tired before settling into a balance. The other guy was the opposite. He said he was having trouble staying awake for a few weeks and then was hyper for a while before settling in. For a lot of us, it takes our bodies awhile to balance back out in different ways.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, extremely tired for the first 3-4 months.

Used to get in the door from work, shower and go straight to bed. Literally could not keep my eyes open.

Wife was super annoyed too. Like me, she thought she was going to get this super energetic new sober me and it turned out to be anything but.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cheers guys. It feels so much better than the drinking cycle, if this is the worst I have to put up with I welcome it with a hug
Old 03-24-2020, 03:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Carl - I'm tired too - I expect to be until this whole thing is over.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on the upcoming four weeks.

From the time I started back working after a few days, for about five to six weeks, I couldn't hardly drag myself up to do anything. After about six weeks the strength came back.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 4 weeks Be - hope you're a little less tired today?
D
Old 03-25-2020, 04:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Funny, I was just about to post the same thing. I’m at 10 weeks. There are a few specific possible reasons for me, right now.
But I also had this happen during a 6 month period of sobriety 4 years ago. Now, a few months in, again having severe exhaustion, both getting fatigued from minimal activity, and like you, so so tired way early in the day...and also extreme sleepiness, so every time I try to read, I doze off.
So, just wanted to send some sympathy and understanding your way! And yes, I’ll take this tiredness over a drinking life a thousand-fold!
Old 03-25-2020, 05:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I’m just over five weeks and am exhausted. During the third and fourth weeks I had a ton of energy, it seemed. I’m still waking up in the middle of the night like I used to when I was drinking. It takes ages to fall back asleep. Hoping it all gets sorted soon for everyone’s sake. Good luck, and congrats!
Old 03-25-2020, 07:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I guess I was healing for a while. Over my detox and in healing, rewire mode.

I ached mentally off and on for a about e3 years. Relapse looms, but I had solid reasons to want to never drink again and I stuck to it. Now, the way I feel is like heaven on earth at times.

Today, I took on an evil minded coworker who was trying to make me look very bad.

The only reason I did this was because I was confidently sober. I can't say enough about how good it feels to just not take stuff, in a nice way. I pushed the issue and he had to side step.

When I was drinking, I would have just drunk over it. Now he looks like a fat liar and I look like a guy who will stand up for himself.

Some people.

Stay clean. There is no problem booze can't make worse.

I see so many people just trying to drink this covid thing away. That will only make it worse.

Love y'all.

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Be123 View Post
Hi everyone

I'm coming up four weeks on Thursday. Moving forward slowly and steadily. I attended two SMART two every groups hut they're cancelled now...I'm going to therapy once a week...I'm being healthy and eating well and exercising a lot. And LOADS of family time as kids are home with me all day every day (I love it to be honest, not sure I will after 15 weeks of it?!?!)

My question to you all is this - at my stage of sobriety who else was SUPER tired? I'm sleeping well but from 4pm onwards I'm just done in. Eat tea with the family but I'm nackered. It's quite nice going to bed like that but it's a long old evening

Solidarity, advice and experience would be welcome

Be
Your post reminded me that, yes, I was dead tired by 8 PM in the first couple months. I was sound asleep shortly after sunset every day after getting home from two weeks in-patient/detox.

if I remember correctly, the sleepiness gradually went away and I was sleeping normally by three months.

20 months now and I sleep really well. I'm lucky that my sleep problems were mainly due to alcohol abuse. I still have using dreams, though, and dreams related to some other past trauma. But hopefully you'll get over the sleepiness.

I should add that one of the best things about sobriety is being able to safely drive my kids around late at night or in the evening. My teen daughter babysits and I sometimes need to drive her home late on a weekend night. It's so delightful to be an alert, sober, and safe driver for her. Additionally, I find that even if I'm sleepy, I have the necessary alertness and energy even at one am.

So things really have improved inn that regard.