Notices

How are YOU doing?

Old 03-23-2020, 12:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How are YOU doing?

Hello my dear and loving SR family,

I feel very grateful to have this forum in place to come to last thing at night. The days are strange and eerie.

I want to see how you all are doing, in your hometown or shelter in place location? How is your city? What stresses and relief are you finding? How are people behaving? How do YOU feel right now?

Nic in Miami currently:

Things are strange because there is not much going on, not much to do. I have some work and will begin tomorrow and I have tried to set as much as a "normal" schedule for myself as possible. I have sponsor meeting in the morning to check in, then I will work a little and answer emails from clients, then meditate and exercise, then do laundry, take a bike ride and then attend a ZOOM meeting with my home group. I will do step work at night and then pray and go to bed.

I am trying to keep my days full. The weather in Miami is gorgeous and I cannot complain of where I live, but this does have a downside. People are all over the place, and the spring breakers that usually fill and destroy our beaches have still come despite caution not to attend. Large groups are still meeting and partying and not caring about passing this along or taking it home even. Our mayor has just closed down the marinas and boat docks, along with our beaches and parks.

People are scared, you can feel it in the air. Everyone in masks and gloves and shopping in panic. I found toilet paper today. I feel for our elderly population, there are many snowbirds here. My sisters boyfriend who I live with is sick at the moment so we are nervous. My parents have isolated after finding out one of the residents in their condo has it.

There is a feeling of fear and unknown, nobody knows how many people are actually infected because there are not enough tests for the people in the US. We suspect millions infected and this is just starting.

I am nervous but numb, if that makes sense. I usually shut down when faced with fear and uncertainty. I don't really feel anything but there is an underlying current of anxiety and worry.

I hope you are all ok and your families as well. Please take care. I will keep logging on.

Nic.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not great to be honest. This is a dire scenario for someone trying to get out of depression.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nic and friends,

Thanks for asking. I'm pretty stressed but many others are in the same situation so not complaining. This is tough on everyone.

At least we still have a good supply of TP.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We're all an Edward Hopper's painting right now (saw that one somewhere).

I'm at home office with some sporadic short stays in my company. Overall the situation calmed down, stockpiling is over, people behave reasonably. In fact when you queue in front of the supermarket the employees hand over sweets, and people around you already turned into old hands when it comes to COVID, Streptococcus pneumoniae and stuff. Sublimely surreal. At least streets and places are empty since a couple of days, the rules are simple: Shopping, walking the dog or strolling with your family in the woods is allowed. Not difficult to live with.

How am I? It's a mixed bag. 2020 will be a year such as 1989 or 2001, there will be a before and an after in our minds. I'm afraid changes are not my forte. When I take my sobriety as an indicator for my mental state I'm not doing too well. There's not much left of my (dare I say) slick approach to sobriety, I'm pretty much at level 2 again. "I am not going to drink. I am not going to drink."

Be that as it may. I am not going to drink. I will have to cope with the rest just like everybody else. Not following any newstickers ("The Taj Mahal is closed!!", "Robbie Williams sings Staying Alive!!") is particularly helpful. I'm quite worried. I better learn how to cope with it quickly.

Maybe there'll be a global change of thinking concerning social values once this is over?

Take care!

P.S.: And sincere apologies to 2016. You weren't that bad after all. Sorry.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Who famously said, "I got blisters on my fingers!"?

Hint: Not jr, but I did do a little bit of raking and gardening yesterday here in New England, a little early for the season but it was sunny and, well, I was home.

Today? It may snow slightly, or if we're "lucky" just a cold rain, so not a lot of outdoor activity on the agenda except doggie walkies.

I hear ya Tetrax re the extra challenge posed by depression. Been there; in my case more of the long-term low-grade (but persistent) variety, labeled dysthymia by the docs. At times over the years for me (and there have been a lot of years) it peaked into full-blown can't-get-outta-bed periods, but it's been quite a while for one of those, for me. I had started back on one of the SSRI's last fall, and I think it was starting to kick in around New Year's but then I started this sobriety thing on 2 January 2020, and lo, I stopped the meds in about mid-January and, knock wood, the depressive symptoms have stayed away. So kicking ethanol seems to have correlated with alleviating the condition for yours truly and (so far) keeping it away.

Btw in my case the dogs also help. I've said here in SobeRlandia before: They are sometimes my spirit-guides, living in the moment, accepting what is, loving unconditionally, taking what they need and (usually) leaving the rest (i.e., eschewing tp hoarding while occasionally overchewing shoe leather).

Back to NicLin's q: I got my office workywork to do at home, and plenty else, it seems, to keep me busy in a busy-not-busy sort of way during this isolation period There are plenty of home maintenance and improvement tasks and chores to be attended to over the next couple of enclosed weeks, and a pile of unread books that I will be working my way through if I can just keep away from the headline news for a while.

Highly recommended to myself and other newshounds (though I admit only falteringly practiced by yours truly):

Place ourselves in intentional news blackouts of some duration. If you are generally news-obsessed like me, start with abstaining for an hour or two, and see whether you can build your no-news muscles up to half a day or more. You (we) will see that not so much has changed, but our minds have enjoyed the respite from the relentless onslaught of statistics and foreboding messages, of rumor and misinformation, and perhaps we've been able to lose ourselves in a book, a symphony, or a snooze for just a wee bit.

In the Boston area: No statewide official lockdown yet, but we seem to be just about there in a practical sense. Almost all stores are closed except food and pharmacies, the restaurants and bars closed a week ago (take-out food is allowed). I drove across town yesterday to dog-walk with a friend (keeping social distance) and witnessed ghost-town like roads and village centers, with few pedestrians or bike riders out (though imho walking and other outdoor exercise is a great idea, just keep your distance from others).

Off to breakfast here at home before my 8 a.m. work-at-home start time.

Chin up, folks.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I echo much of what you said in your OP. I am also in the US and this is nearing madness. I hate fear, I don't live my life in fear, and yet it is everywhere. Its difficult. I could not do this for another month. No way.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm on edge as i'm sure alot of people are. I've been in a really bad living situation with a roommate who is abusing prescription pills. I decided to get out of there earlier in the month and have found a new place to live. I just hope the job i have doesn't end before i move in. Tense. Give it to God i guess. My boss told me she would give me 1-2 weeks notice in case things get bad with Covid and they have to let me go from this project i'm working on.
I'm also wondering how my ex is doing? We decided to part ways in early February before all the *** hit the fan. We haven't talked since and it's hard. Other than that i'm just plodding away. I finally got a vehicle a couple of weeks ago so that allows me to get around a little more easier and i'm healthy so far. I hope everyone is staying safe and has a great day! Great topic.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Interesting times. Yes there is a 'feeling' in the air. Things are quiet. Very few cars, very few people, anywhere. We have no shelter in place but it seems my area is doing that anyway.

Still no TP anywhere but things seem to be calming down from a shopping perspective. I have had no kitchen due to a remodel. Finally have one and did shopping and cooking this weekend. Probably won't need to go out again for a week, other than to pick up some shower tile. I hope TP frees up because with 3-5 workers in my house on any given day I need it. I may have to tell them to byotp.

I am doing lots of physical work...yoga in the morning, nice long dog walk (this is suburbia so its ok to do this), lots of yard work. I haven't been to the gym since this all started, well over a month. That's ok. There are always ways to get exercise, especially in this digital age.

Honestly my biggest stress overall is the global economy. This is going to be huge. I am hopeful the warmer weather will slow this down long enough for folks to calm down and for the powers that be to better prepare for fall when it returns. I feel terribly for people who live paycheck to paycheck. But even worse that the governments solution is to print money. That will ultimately bite us in the azz. But what to do?

My heart goes out to Italy, Spain, NYC, Cali. I think daily about all those healthcare workers risking their lives. I'm just a sittin here at home. Safe. I have nothing to complain about.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm not great. I have been trying to keep myself distracted but I'm freaked out over finances, health, school and resources; the list just goes on and on.

I know I need to stay off of social media for a bit but it's hard because all I want to do is know what is going on and connect with folx. I'm resigned to doing what I can do which isn't much and I hate that feeling of helplessness.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Who famously said, "I got blisters on my fingers!"?
That was John Lennon, at the end of a song.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm doing ok. Wisconsin is going into "Safer at Home" orders tomorrow. Essential businesses and travel only. I'm pretty much already doing this. Started telecommuting last Wednesday. have only ventured out to grab essentials, except for a trip up to northern Wisconsin to go to my boyfriend's cabin on Saturday, to make sure everything is secured. I'm guessing that sort of trip will be discouraged for a while so it's good we went when we did. It's remote, so things seemed exactly the same as always there, which was nice for a few hours.

I'm worried about boredom, even though I'm telecommuting and there is work to do. That won't really last, as things slow down with students not being on campus. I'm not an instructor, I am sort of the "secretary" (for lack of a better term) for a department and without kids on campus there will be less for me to do. I'll have to invent busy work to fill the time. Or just slack off. I hate that thought. I am not a slacker.

I have lots of projects in mind around the house. And I'll make time to just... be. That will be nice.

I am trying not to be so tuned into the news and social media. As jr67 said, nothing much changes if you can stay away for a few hours. And you hear less of the "noise" and can instead find and concentrate on actual useful news instead of the rumors and flat-out misinformation. It's a trying time. There is fear. There are people taking advantage of the situation in bad ways. There are people who are being amazing helpers, though. I look for those stories. They make me feel like we are going to get through this, and maybe learn a few lessons along the way.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am a little 'stir-crazy'. Everything is closed so there is nothing to do. The internet is a lifeline and I couldn't imagine sitting home alone for months without it. Well, I would probably be drinking 24/7 due to the loneliness and boredom. If I were drinking, I could get the Coronavirus and I most likely wouldn't even realize I was sick because I wouldn't have the self-awareness monitor my symptoms.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I am a little 'stir-crazy'. Everything is closed so there is nothing to do. The internet is a lifeline and I couldn't imagine sitting home alone for months without it. Well, I would probably be drinking 24/7 due to the loneliness and boredom. If I were drinking, I could get the Coronavirus and I most likely wouldn't even realize I was sick because I wouldn't have the self-awareness monitor my symptoms.
I had this thought the other day. I used to get sick all the time and at the end there I couldn't really tell if it was the booze or if I was picking up various other things. There is just no way I could do that now. I would be in a constant panic.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had a day of 'reorientation' yesterday.

My dad, helpful as ever made a remark that with my health being what it is I better not go outside or I'll die.

That got under my skin - even tho I know it was hyberbolic nonsense - there's a kernel of truth there - my health is compromised.

I had a sleepless night Sunday punctuated only by horrible nightmares.

was able to get in contact with Mrs Dee yesterday - we live apart - and that grounded me again.

That was fear like I hadn't felt in 40 years.
But I beat it, and I'm back

Slept well last night, and looking at things rationally today my life is not that different - just a few less trips on the scooter.

This will pass guys

D
Old 03-23-2020, 11:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone, keep checking in.

Today I planned my day out hour by hour. As it says in JUST FOR TODAY:

"Just for today I will have a program. I will write down what I expect to do every hour. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. It will eliminate two pests - hurry and indecision."

My day went a whole lot better than yesterday and calmed me down to have a routine and structure.

Goodnight everyone, I will pray for everyone.

Nic.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone,

Like many of you my anxiety has been heightened the past few weeks. I live in CA so we are on a lockdown. You can still go grocery shopping, and Ron medical appointments, and can get outdoors for exercise, however, after too many y people showed up at hiking trails and the beach this weekend they have shut both down, so now it is walking around your neighborhood for exercise.

Today was week two of me working from home. I was working on s big project and worked from 7:30 am-9:30 pm. I stopped to throw in some laundry (definitely a bonus) and to check on the kids a few times. Tonight as my son was going to bed he asked me “Don’t you have a time to stop working when you work from home?” That is an excellent question, and one I am going to make sure I manage better tomorrow.

I hope everyone stays healthy, and really hope this virus is gone soon.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

We SR forum regulars are kind of lucky compared to many of my AA friends who don't use this site for their recovery. FTF meetings have completely disappeared but our SR forum marches on w/o a hiccup.

That said at least a lot of the AA meetings are going on line. I like the on line meetings a lot.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I'm in Dundee in Scotland. It's grim here in lots of ways. People are still going around and congregating in parks etc. We were effectively put on lock down today and hopefully that will now stop folks leaving the house unless they absolutely need too.

There are some lovely things though. Communities coming together and helping the vulnerable. There are taxi driver dropping off food to NHS workers and people joining all kinds of support groups online.

On a personal level....I am now in lockdown for 12 weeks, due to a lung condition. I am staying with my parents, in the Scottish countryside, so there are definitely worse places to be. I had to say goodbye to my husband yesterday, as he is one of our key NHS workers. That was hard...

My niece is also a frontline worker in intensive care, and that's worrying too. She has two wee ones until three and my sister has moved in to take care of them. It's scary and I feel up and down alot.

I am glad to be able to work from home. Gabe xx
Old 03-24-2020, 11:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for checking in everyone.

We have been put on lockdown as well. All beaches and bridges for running and parks have closed and we can now only travel for essential items.

I hope that this passes as well.

Also, Miami (and the US) is doing an amazing job at creating ZOOM meeting literally all times of the day, so if anyone is struggling and needs a meeting, I am happy to give you the zoom schedule of meetings.

Kind of amazing how we can connect all over the world now through the gift of AA and recovery. I feel very lucky today.

Nic.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Samantha

I'm not doing great. Its cold in canada and all the snow melted then froze. Crappy walking.
I lost my job due to the virus so I'm laid off starting friday. Soooo stressed.
plus I only have my fiance here no family or friends so very lonely not that you can go out to see anyone anyways.
Hardly hanging in.