Notices

Introducing myself

Old 03-22-2020, 02:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Introducing myself

Hi everyone! I’m MK and I’ve been reading these forums constantly for a few days now, promising myself I would follow through and join. All the stories and advice have been really helping me, and I’m so glad I found this space.

A little bit of background: after a decade and change of heavy drinking, I quit alcohol in February 2019 and it still feels like miracle to have that physical and mental suffering gone. I’ve worked hard on my recovery with tools like journaling and yoga, but I’ve known for a while now that there are two more things I need to do to continue this journey.

One is finding sober community. When I stopped drinking I looked up AA meetings in my area but didn’t go, and I read sobriety blogs and books but didn’t seek out ways to make connections beyond that. A big part of the reason I’ve been scared to do this is because I knew it would make me confront the second thing I need to do: quit smoking weed.

I’m currently on my 4th day without smoking. I've been smoking every day multiple times a day for a few years now, with many similar periods of heavy smoking in the past. For a long time I told myself I wasn’t ready to quit. I quit nicotine a few months before I quit alcohol and weed was my crutch through that entire process, so it’s been hard to imagine giving it up, plus I’ve had bad insomnia, nausea, and anxiety when I haven’t had access over the past year (it’s not legal where I am). But, when I started quarantining something in me told me this was the time to do the right thing and commit to sobriety for my physical and mental wellbeing and to not spend this time obsessing over how much weed I have or how I’m going to get more (and hopefully never obsess over those things again). I’ll stop there since this is getting long and say: I'm very happy to be here and I’m looking forward to getting to know everyone!
Old 03-22-2020, 02:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you join us, soberinnc. You found a remarkable community - I was quite hopeless until I came here. The feeling of relief I felt when I realized I never had to be alone again was life changing.

Congratulations on your year & a month of sobriety. I, too, still feel like it's a miracle. Congratulations also on your 4th day weed-less. Be proud of yourself.
Welcome, MK.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, Hevyn! I'm feeling that relief, finding people who know what it's like. Congratulations on your sobriety, too
Old 03-22-2020, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, I'm so glad you joined us.

Congratulations on stopping smoking and quitting drinking. I think you've made a good decision to let go of the weed and move forward as a sober person. You will find lots of support here.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

great to have you join us soberinnc

D
Old 03-22-2020, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. We have a forum devoted to weed, take a look and see if you find it interesting.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Looking forward to getting to know you too soberinnc.

Welcome.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, this is a beautiful place filled with wisdom, experience and great advice! You will find all the support here and congrats on making the decision to get sober and honest and do the right thing! Proud of you!