Notices

Working from home

Old 03-22-2020, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working from home

My job has made me work from home becayse of covid 19. Anywho, this is the worst thing to do to an alcoholics. My routine consisted of me drinking everyday after work, and since Ive been home its been starting earlier. Since I moved back to Florida a year ago ive been drinking more. I dont know what to do. Im up to a pint a day already. Today is my day 1, I need to stop now. My body is aching tho, and i have horrible sinus pressure. Now im scared that i got that covid 19, when it actuality its from me not drinking today and only having 2 shots yesterday. Thats how stupid my av is. My av is saying "this is a bad time to quit drinking because if you get the vurus you wont know if its wuthdrawls ir uf you have the virus" its also saying "bad time to quit, quit after this vurus thing goes away" then it says "why worry about your health now, the %&$# world is about to end so enjoy yourself. Stupid AV.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yup, there's always a reason or two to drink. Making this your Day 1 is great. Maybe you could come up with a routine for your work-at-home days to help you stop drinking?
Old 03-22-2020, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In times like this, I'm really glad I don't drink. It's so much simpler to deal with emergencies with a clear head.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sending support, care and understanding
your way during this trying time in all our lives.

Leave the alcohol behind and hang onto us here
in SR for lots of guidance and support as you replace
your addiction with lots of healthy reasons and ways
to live a happier sober way of life.

All of us who are living life in recovery had to begin
with a day one. ALL of us.....and it wasn't easy to make
changes, but we did with each step we took. With each
day learning how to live that day without numbing
ourselves with poison that was eating away at every
inch of our beings.

One day at a time moving further away from that last
drink will help you achieve success in living a sober life.

We are here for you and many of us have never left
showing that we are here to help all those seeking
support out of their own addictions.

Lean on us everyday.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
In times like this, I'm really glad I don't drink. It's so much simpler to deal with emergencies with a clear head.
And without having to make trips to the liquor store. Without becoming even more anxious and worried about our health due to drinking.

Stressful times and isolation are definitely triggers for many alcoholics, but a dramatic lifestyle and environmental shift can also be a great condition and opportunity for changing habits. Of course, the latter is usually meant to suggest positive environmental changes, but I personally believe it is possible to ride the current of any difference and use it for behavior modification. Personally, it always makes a difference for me, even traumatic events and adverse conditions, as long as I remain aware of what is truly going on and make my efforts.

Congrats on Day 1 and keep it going, you will feel better soon if you stick with it!
Old 03-22-2020, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yea, just do it. Quit. Make today day one. I drank a pint of rum a day for decades between 330 and 9 after work. On weekends and while laid off I drank much more. When I did quit I was 7 months into what turned out to be an 8 month lay off. Home all day with money. I was drinking at about 7 am till when I could last. Usually between 7 and 9pm. I basically was just sitting around drinking. I quit during that stretch. While still sitting around doing not much. Got called back to work a month later and have been sober for the last almost 10 months. My point is you can do it even while being at home. In fact its new routine, good time to make new habits. Which all drinking is really, just a bad habit. Quit now. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Toni. Now is a great time to quit. I quit one year after my factory was shuttered. I barely escaped with my life. Too much down time, with no responsibility, and no one to answer to nearly killed me. I tried and failed and detoxed on my own many times. Too many times, and each one was harder than the last. I hope you dont have to go through what I went through.

I went to my very first AA meeting. Luckily right now, there are so many online meetings! Zoom and Google hangouts have many to choose from. I'm glad you are here. Getting sober has changed my life, and it can change yours too. Keep posting!
Old 03-22-2020, 02:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
waking down

Excessive alcohol consumption weakens the immune system. Stopping may not be comfortable, but you'll be stronger and more resilient in the long run.

I've been working from home the past week and developing a new-found appreciation for herbal teas. Days seem longer at home, but keeping the dogs close keeps the sense of isolation at bay.

As I'm sure you know, alcohol detox can be deadly, so if you're going solo have a plan for emergency care if necessary. Maybe someone to check in with you regularly, by phone if nothing else.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I normally work from home about 60% of the time anyway. I usually rotate my days on the road with my days at home. So, one day at home followed by a day on the road. Now, it's all at home all the time but it is what it is. I know this will pass in time and things will be back to normal (it may take a while)

Also, your AV is telling you lies! Don't listen to it. It has one job and one job only: to get you drink!
Old 03-22-2020, 02:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please quit Toni.
Drinking would make this whole terrible situation that much worse.

Be as fit and healthy as you can and the likelihood is you'll get though this just fine
Old 03-22-2020, 02:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Now is as good a time as any to quit. It will make your immune system healthier.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can relate. I've been at home since a week last Friday and have utterly spiralled out of control With no proper structure or routine I am struggling. i haven't had a drink today either though and have a new plan and structure going forward
Old 03-22-2020, 03:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

please keep in mind that your employer did not send you home to drink more freely and often. there is an understanding and obligation to perform your duties AS IF you were still at the office. your company, as do all the other companies and institutions who have sent people home for their own safety, do so assuming we will respond as responsible adults - not kids sent on spring break. this global pandemic affecting every corner of our planet is no excuse.

my research institution sent us all home starting March 6 thru at least April 24th. i am eternally grateful for their efforts to keep our workforce out of harm's way and reduce the risk of exposure. it is incumbant upon each of us to do our best, and to think outside of ourselves.

and that includes silencing the AV. make sure you are reaching out to friends, family, loved ones, co-workers. just sending a Hello, how ya holding up? goes a long way. and gets us out of ourselves. staying home, safe and healthy is our primary purpose.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I know this is like a nightmare we can't wake up from - but it will end...

and we have a responsibility to ensure that all of us will be there, fit and ready, to greet the new dawn

D
Old 03-22-2020, 08:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have also been working from home for the past week, and I feel like it’s been a month. I’ve been trying to maintain a schedule of getting out to exercise, and also trying to keep my kids on a semi normal schedule, although there has been an increase in Netflix and video games.

I have been sober for over four years, and I’m really glad I have. Drinking always increased my anxiety, and my anxiety is already heightened by everything going on in the world.

Think how great it will feel to return to work with a good chunk of sobriety under your belt. If you have alcohol at home start by getting rid of it, and then make sure when you go out for essentials you do not include alcohol on that list.

You can do this!!!

♥️ Delilah