Checking in

Old 03-19-2020, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in

Every now and then I feel the need to check in and update you on my progress - and keep a record of it for myself too. This forum has been such a life support for me and I still read often. I have also discovered a fantastic lady to follow on Instagram her name is Karen Gardinier check her out, she has so much interesting insight and information about alcoholic addicts.

progress has been made since my last post. Divorce proceedings are now finally underway! 🙌🏻 Wow that was REALLY tough to do. In the UK we still have to cite reasons and give 5 examples of unreasonable behaviour. All mine were alcohol related. He is still in total denial. I rang him out of decency to partly preserve my current civil relationship with him for the kids and prewarned him of the letter and papers to come. I told him it won’t be pleasant reading but that if he signs without disputing then he will face no costs. He’s broke - I can’t see him disputing. He didn’t put up a fight. Just said ok and he went quiet for a few days (ie we didn’t hear from him) I know he has had them by now.
last night I heard he was admitted to A&E at 3am with a bust knee. Apparently he just “woke up” and his knee was swollen and red like a balloon so he shuffled a whole mile to the emergency dept in his slippers to be seen! Bearing in mind we are also in the midst of a pandemic. They x rayed him and sent him home with an anti inflammatory jab. He was not happy and felt he’d been fobbed off so demanded to be seen by his GP - only they were busy with COVID-19 patients too funny enough.

i suspect he had the papers. Drank his way into a stupor and slipped - got to the hospital forgetting the whole virus thing selfish bar stool that he is. Now he’s laid up at home. Hopefully he’ll self isolate now too.

all this drama though - has actually made me SO GRATEFUL!!! 🙏

grateful for my peace
grateful I’m not part of his drama
grateful I don’t have to spend time in isolation with an active alcoholic
grateful my kids didn’t witness that
grateful my kids have a sober mum who can home tutor them for the next few weeks

thank GOD

next step is my solicitor will start discussions about the house. He doesn’t yet know I’m putting in a claim for that. Wish me luck!
Old 03-19-2020, 03:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck!

Well, it sounds like the UK divorce laws need an overhaul!

I'm glad things are progressing though, soon it will all be taken care of and you can just sigh with relief.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

RB......It is so good to hear from you.....and, that you have been able to find a space where you and the kids can have peace...…
It seems that a lot has changed for you since you first came here....
Yes, it is very sad how they just bumble about in their alcoholic stupors,,,,,

How fortunate you really are, just now....not to be confined with an out of control alcoholic....
I am wondering how it must be for the families that ARE quarantined with their alcoholic.....and, with the kids home for school, also! My heart really goes out to all of them......
Old 03-19-2020, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
I am wondering how it must be for the families that ARE quarantined with their alcoholic.....and, with the kids home for school, also! My heart really goes out to all of them......
oh gosh .... me too... I think a lot of people will be reaching crisis point faster than they might have with a forced upon them, intensified situation. And heaven help those who’s alcohol supply runs out ... 😢🙏

maybe a few more than normal new people will reach out over the next few weeks.

Old 03-20-2020, 04:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

About time the UK got real about divorce. I'm glad you're going through these trying times as least in your own space and in relative space.

It would be horrendous to be looking after an A with busted knee right now. I wonder how he'll get his liquor?
Old 03-20-2020, 06:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is good

Old 03-20-2020, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great to read your update RB

I too think about the people in forced isolation with an addict. I too am grateful for my own space.

I worry that my kids are with their dad at this time of lockdown (we're in Spain) but grateful that my house is safe and clean and I have tons of food. They can come whenever they want.

Strange times indeed. Amazing to have this forum.