Notices

Positive activities in time of COVID-19

Old 03-18-2020, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Positive activities in time of COVID-19

These sure are interesting times!

Singles in recovery face their own set of challenges, along with some advantages. I thought I'd share a few ideas to help those who may be feeling particularly isolated.

* Reach out. As of this morning, I've scheduled phone conversations with five friends spread out over the next 10 days. Next, I'll start a schedule for phone calls with another set of five. We spend so much time communicating digitally -- this can be a nice way to connect.

* Schedule things that promote your health. At the start of 2020, I made a commitment to starting every day with meditation. It's been an eye-opener in terms of building concentration and calm. Because I'm working at home, I've blocked off a half hour during the work day to get outside and walk. At the end of the day, I go to Amazon for yoga.

* Thinking about crowd-sourced efforts.

www.zooniverse.org: "The Zooniverse is the world’s largest and most popular platform for people-powered research. This research is made possible by volunteers — more than a million people around the world who come together to assist professional researchers. Our goal is to enable research that would not be possible, or practical, otherwise. Zooniverse research results in new discoveries, datasets useful to the wider research community, and many publications."

iNaturalist.org: "One of the world’s most popular nature apps, iNaturalist helps you identify the plants and animals around you. Get connected with a community of over 750,000 scientists and naturalists who can help you learn more about nature! What’s more, by recording and sharing your observations, you’ll create research quality data for scientists working to better understand and protect nature. iNaturalist is a joint initiative by the California Academy of Sciences and the National Geographic Society."

If you live in the United States, you can check out more citizen science projects here: https://www.citizenscience.gov/catalog/#

I bet this is just the tip of the iceberg. What are some positive steps others are taking? What crowd-sourced opportunities exist where you live?

And, of course, you don't have to be single to pursue these opportunities.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am single. I was thinking about how this may play out given that 'social distancing' could last for months. The vast majority of my friends are married w/ kids so I won't be seeing them. One friend actually said he would trade places with me because his kids are already driving him nuts haha. Do you think Tinder is a good idea??
Old 03-18-2020, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good post!! It’s been a weird time for sure. I live alone but I have two cats, which helps.

I’ve been making time to FaceTime my family and friends too; it’s a great way to reconnect from afar and also kill time if you’ve watched all the tv you can, hah.

Also, a group of friends and I have a discord with a remotely run DnD game (nerdy, I know) but it takes the place of the weekly meetups to play games. So that’s been kinda fun.

Ive also been coloring a lot while watching documentaries. Working out after I clock out. Just trying to maintain a type of schedule and some normalcy

Its important to know that you can be alone but still make an effort to connect. So thanks for the good topic. Hang in there everyone.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good post Venecia! The rest of the world is learning social distancing which we (sort of) do already but we need to stay connected in these "interesting" times.

Zooniverse looks really interesting, they even want help with an online Penguin count which sounds right up my street. I am putting off working from home for as long as I can but it might not be too far away.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for that Venezia. Really great suggestions which I will definitely use.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

This isn't just for singles but if you google Live Stream Concerts, there is a great list of musicians, including Pink and John Legend, putting things online to help cheer us up.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is a great list! There are also lots of free online classes. I’m still getting out for walks each day. I’m working from home, but have had video meetings and webinars throughout the day.

My kids have been video chatting with friends, and still getting out and exercising.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I live alone but share my life and house with my dog and three cats, so am never really 'alone'. Walking my dog is my favorite thing to do, and it gives both of us sunshine, fresh air, exercise, and it gives her the sniffing time she loves so much. I get such a kick out of watching her nose wrinkling as she's sniffing. She's so good at being a dog, it's a miracle to watch her 'dogginess'.

I am very grateful for my internet connection with all of you, my cyber family. Stay safe.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! This is great.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Venecia, interesting suggestions! And there are definitely many advantages of being single during this time, for me also in general. I am really enjoying my solitude and not having to go anywhere so far because finally I have the opportunity to focus on things (both professional and personal) that I usually either procrastinate or am not very efficient with due to various distractions, travel etc.

One of my colleagues sent the link below to our team about working from home - I think it has a few good suggestions, not only relevant to singles and work. I am not new to working from home and usually like it a lot, although mine is always very interactive virtually and right now I am finding people want to communicate even more. But many find it difficult not to go to the workplace and a challenging habit change right now.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51868894

It can also be a good time for finding new and creative solutions and improving efficiency, including in the area of basic chores and communication. I have less interruptions and my time/mind is less scattered. For me right now this feels very energizing and motivating. I am sure it will wear off in a couple weeks when the novelty aspect is gone and the situation will become more acutely scary, but if anyone else feels the same in the moment, take advantage of it as long as it lasts!
Old 03-19-2020, 06:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love iNaturalist! I have to check out the other one.

Its so interesting to me. I am finally in my element. I'm no more or less lonely than I ever am. And I actually find myself more lonely when trying to connect in some socially expected way because I'm so uncomfortable with it. I'm a great one on one, or two connector. But groups simply make me jumpy as hell. Alcohol was my medicine for that...until well, you know the story. So hip hip to isolation!

Someone said something about Tinder. That is a hook up site no? That nonsense is dangerous, especially for women, in the best of times. It's an obvious hard pass now. Unless its all virtual, which is just bizarre. Of course I'm old so all the social networking is freaky to me. Unless its something based on a hobby or sport etc. That's just me.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone, for your kind responses. Citizen science projects are definitely something for everyone! I've been sober for 6.5 years, but remember painfully how much isolation contributed to my problems and that's why I was especially mindful of those who are solo.

Aellyce, it is nice to see you! I'm also feeling very organized and productive right now. A colleague just messaged me and said "I thought this was going to be more like Ferris Bueller time but I'm getting a lot done." Yes, sustaining this will be a challenge, though.

One of the things I'm doing is focusing a lot on structure. I've created a work area, and it is where my work laptop goes. Writing and reading on my own system, as I am now, takes place in a different area. I'm also starting work promptly at the same time and am dressed for work (minus makeup). I think that makes a big difference, too. The old me (i.e., not sober) might not have gotten out of pajamas for days.

Entropy, I'm glad to meet a fellow iNaturalist buff. My most recent upload was a coyote here in the urban area where I live! And agree wholeheartedly about Tinder. I don't know much about it, but enough. It's the last thing we need now. Or anytime.

Keep the good ideas coming! We can help each other with the positives that are helping us get through this unprecedented time.

(Maybe Dee or Anna could even change the title, given my shortsightedness. Perhaps something like "Positive activities in time of COVID-19.")
Old 03-19-2020, 11:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Got it Thanks, Venecia.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Excellent thread. I'm keeping up with my yoga practice and I don't own a car so I go everywhere via bicycle anyway, but I've been going for 'fun' rides instead of my usual commutes, and nature's beauty is keeping me sane. Fresh air and exercise--and of course, no booze--is integral. Let's all get through this sober.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Link below for a recent article from The Art of Manliness:

The AoM Guide to Staying at Home (Without Being Bored Out of Your Mind)

- includes suggestions and links to their articles on reading, working-out at home, things to do with your children, and miscellaneous helpful articles.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/artic...-of-your-mind/
Old 03-21-2020, 12:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Walking has always been my go-to activity for exercise and peace of mind and I'm determined to keep that up. It's been a learning curve these last few days and somewhat frustrating because clearly, not everyone, is interested in social distancing. I felt a lot of anger initially, because I couldn't understand why people would not listen to the medical professionals. But, since it appears I can't magically make people behave the way I'd like , I'm making some changes. I'm walking at different times - early in the morning and supper time - times when less people are out. And, I'm being more flexible with my route. We can get through this.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Thanks so much for that Venezia. Really great suggestions which I will definitely use.
ditto thanks
Old 03-21-2020, 04:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The best positive activity I'm doing nowadays is giving Billie tons of attention. She gets petted constantly and loves lying in my lap. She is keeping me sane.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Walking has always been my go-to activity for exercise and peace of mind and I'm determined to keep that up. It's been a learning curve these last few days and somewhat frustrating because clearly, not everyone, is interested in social distancing. I felt a lot of anger initially, because I couldn't understand why people would not listen to the medical professionals. But, since it appears I can't magically make people behave the way I'd like , I'm making some changes. I'm walking at different times - early in the morning and supper time - times when less people are out. And, I'm being more flexible with my route. We can get through this.
Walking is my go-to activity as well for both exercise and peace of mind. Thankfully where I live, despite it being an urban area, there's plenty of open spaces and over the years I've been able to work out the best routes to walk to avoid people (that goes back to the days when i would sweat profusely following a three or four day binge session with alcohol and would get very embarrassed if anyone saw me) so have those routes I can walk.

I aim to walk for about 20 minutes a time three times a day. I've worked out that in 20 minutes I walk about a mile (1.6km) so that's three miles a day minimum.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This is not some pink cloud, but I think a realistic and balanced view on how it's best to manage the COVID-19 anxiety:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e_iOSApp_Other