Notices

Healthy choices during troubling times

Old 03-18-2020, 11:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Healthy choices during troubling times

Thinking of everyone working so hard and struggling to make healthy choices during this pandemic. The uncertainty and chaos caught up to me today and I shed a few tears. One month ago, a beer would have been my go-to, today it was green tea. Feeling thankful to have made it to day 26. Best wishes to each and everyone of you!
Old 03-18-2020, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, feeling grateful, at about Day 72.
At the end of my drinking, I was going to the store every morning. I would not want more in the house than I planned to drink that day, because I would drink what was there. Now on self-isolation as recommended, and happy I am not in that terrifying cycle of absolutely needing to always have enough alcohol.
So happy that, although I am greatly missing the community I found at my in-person meetings, (various varieties!), I am delighted to be finding productive things to do at home, on-line, in my yard. Not coping with this surreal time by drinking to oblivion, but learning to live with our new current reality.
Thanks for your post and glad the SR community is here and available to all!
Old 03-18-2020, 06:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Having an active booze addiction and being in denial during this difficult time would be such a nightmare.

I could just imagine me explaining to my wife and 17 year old why I needed to drink to cope with this issue.

How I would rationalize that since I was socially isolated drinking was the thing to do.

I have been cooking old freezer veggies to make room for new ones, cleaning, making hand sanitizer, waking up early and exercising etc etc.

Keeping busy and being my new non drinking self.

One less thing to deal with. We all know booze used to be everything and now it is nothing.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Times are definitely stressful right now, being sober is definitely a blessing.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ugh, thank you for reminding me of that awful pressure to always have enough alcohol on hand - the WORST. Congrats on day 26, and remember that it's OK to defer 100% health until your sobriety is strong (in other words: eat the chocolate!)
Old 03-19-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 35 (5 weeks!) for me and I'm so glad I'm sober at this moment in time. Had I been drinking I would now be totally skint with very little food in the house. Instead I've been able to prepare for whatever happens in the coming weeks and for the first time in a long time I have enough food to see me through at least a fortnight and possibly longer.

In addition I have been buying the right sort of food instead of buying unhealthy food such as ready meals that are full of calories and salt and which just pile on the pounds. Being sober for the last 5 weeks has quite literally come at the right time even if that right time is sadly in this respect for all the wrong reasons.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Amen to this. I am so very grateful not to be trapped in my alcohol addiction at this challenging time.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, I hadn't given much thought to all of the above blessings of not drinking right now. How empowering!! I was just being thankful I didn't cave in. But your all so right! I'm clear headed, informed, stocked up and prepared as much as anyone could be right now.
Thanks for reminding me of the bigger picture! 💫
Old 03-19-2020, 02:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree, Saoirse-these are stressful and troubling times, and just imagine how much more so when in the grip of active boozing. I am glad that I can face things with a clear head--watching people today buying cases of beer and wine at the supermarket forced me to think about what I used to be like, and what I could be again if I let this crisis give me an excuse to drink. Congratulations on 26 days, and best wishes for many more. We will get through this sober.