Notices

Back Again

Old 03-16-2020, 01:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back Again

Hi everyone,
Happy Saint Patrick's Day from a locked down Ireland. Anyway, I fell off wagon and had spells on and off the liquor but off again and on day 16 now. I have had 15 AA meetings most cancelled now due to corona virus. Really enjoying hearing others and can relate to many stories which has helped me get over the initial acute withdrawal stage. Now to my big problem which is Post Alcohol Withdrawal syndrome. I suffer with short term memory, forget names, what I was doing, cognitive issues, gait issues, mad thoughts, and the list goes on. I am trying to eat a good diet and get some exercise every day. Thankfully sleeping better now and also taking Campral which helps with brain recovery, readjustment. Just on meds 2 days now and hope they help.?? Thankfully a new job I got (while still drinking) has been put off for few weeks after interview as my boss was in Italy and now because of lock down another 2 weeks. I'm hoping I will be up for it with a month under my belt for new job as I need to use my brain for my job as a cost engineer on new water network installations etc. Great being back on Sober recovery and wish you all well. Stay safe. Carlingford.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Great job getting back to sober you!
Old 03-16-2020, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks LiveLikeGold6 never want to go back there. Just need to manage the post withdrawal symptoms now. Was here before and feel stronger this time.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you back with us, carlingford. Congratulations on your 16 sober days - that's wonderful progress.

I had some of those things happen too - definitely foggy & disoriented for a while. Everything settled down as I got some sober time behind me. I hope you find that to be true. Posting here means you're never alone - very important. We're here to understand & help.
(I love your beautiful avie.)
Old 03-16-2020, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it back Carlingford

D
Old 03-16-2020, 02:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back Carlingford.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by carlingford View Post
Now to my big problem which is Post Alcohol Withdrawal syndrome.
Too soon for Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome...emphasis on the "post" At 16 days that just withdrawals.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Too soon for Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome...emphasis on the "post" At 16 days that just withdrawals.
Thanks doggonecarl for your reply, I'm dreading when they do hit!! as I know they will be longer than last time due to kindling, aaaahhhh, but I will maintain a healthy lifestyle with swimming, playing with kids going to beach and long walks, I just remembered all the swimming pools are closed as are the playgrounds, there is a rumour that our Government will make us all house bound like France by the end of this week?? only allowed out to shop for food or go to doctors/ hospital. Anyway, I'm happy I am clean again even though its just 17 days but that will ramp up soon and I will get through the PAWS one Day at a Time
Old 03-17-2020, 09:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back and well done on 16 days.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Carlingford, and congratulations on 16 days of sobriety. I now that staying sober will help you get through this health crisis and also help you when you begin your new job.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad you made it back Carlingford

D
Thanks Dee, I'm happy you are still here, I will use my slip as a learning curve and feel stronger now. Trying to stay away from stressors and friends that use. I called to a friend yesterday and as all pubs are closed here, he was drinking cans at home at 11am, I will not be calling again!! take care C
Old 03-17-2020, 09:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome back, Carlingford, and congratulations on 16 days of sobriety. I now that staying sober will help you get through this health crisis and also help you when you begin your new job.
Thanks so much Anna for your support and good to hear from you. C
Old 03-17-2020, 09:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
It's so good to have you back with us, carlingford. Congratulations on your 16 sober days - that's wonderful progress.

I had some of those things happen too - definitely foggy & disoriented for a while. Everything settled down as I got some sober time behind me. I hope you find that to be true. Posting here means you're never alone - very important. We're here to understand & help.
(I love your beautiful avie.)

Thanks Hevyn, good to be back. My Avie is where I am from, its called Carlingford Lough, very historic with many fairy forts and castles there, yes fairy forts are real in Ireland, Happy Saint Patrick's Day to you
Old 03-18-2020, 09:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

PAWS is really the worst part for me. I seem to get past the acute withdrawal symptoms pretty fast but those post-acute symptoms take a while. My big issues are dizziness, foggy brain and gait / walk. Hang in there!
Old 03-18-2020, 12:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi. I had classic PAWS type symptoms starting about week 3. Now at about 10 weeks, the symptoms have actually diminished. Not gone, and maybe to return anytime. But my hopeful thought for you is that during this recovery period, things are uncertain...and will likely cycle...but things can definitely also get better not worse!
I have been on Campral since I quit. I have absolutely no idea if it is helping, but it might be, and since it is supposed to help with re-setting the abnormal brain chemistry resulting from alcohol, I will stay on it awhile. Congrats on Day 17!
Old 03-19-2020, 05:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plure View Post
PAWS is really the worst part for me. I seem to get past the acute withdrawal symptoms pretty fast but those post-acute symptoms take a while. My big issues are dizziness, foggy brain and gait / walk. Hang in there!
Hi Plure, Thanks for your support, 23 days now, yes, I'm getting all those symptoms but as long as I know its my Brain reconnecting/rewiring I live with them. From my last quit it took around 3+ months to level out and silly me thought I was cured and could manage normal drinking lol. Back to square 1 but a learning curve I guess, how long was it Plure before you felt half normal?
Old 03-19-2020, 05:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunnyday13 View Post
Hi. I had classic PAWS type symptoms starting about week 3. Now at about 10 weeks, the symptoms have actually diminished. Not gone, and maybe to return anytime. But my hopeful thought for you is that during this recovery period, things are uncertain...and will likely cycle...but things can definitely also get better not worse!
I have been on Campral since I quit. I have absolutely no idea if it is helping, but it might be, and since it is supposed to help with re-setting the abnormal brain chemistry resulting from alcohol, I will stay on it awhile. Congrats on Day 17!
Thanks Sunnyday13, day 23 now I got my days mixed up earlier, I said clean 17 when it was 20 WTF, see this is what happens but not funny when your brain is screwing up. I'm same as you on the Campral, dont know if it works but still keep taking it for my brain, good luck.