Notices

Early sobriety anxiety

Old 03-09-2020, 01:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Early sobriety anxiety

Hi everyone

Im very recently sober - what are people's experiences of feeling anxiety and worry early in sobriety...and any reassurances about them lessening over time?

Im just about functioning but it's pretty full on !!
Old 03-09-2020, 02:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah man, I was full of a lot of feelings and very anxious about all of it.
Anxiety leads to anxiety if you let it.

It does get better but for me I had to realize that I was going through a huge lifestyle change and my addiction was going to fight me all the way.
I am not gonna let it win.

I know you are going through some other problems now also and that is probably adding to the anxiety I'm sure.

I wish I could tell you to snap your fingers and it will go away but I know it's not that easy.
You are going to be OK. You will get through this and come out of it a stronger person.
Once YOU convince yourself of this I think the anxiety will lessen.

Good luck and remember, You are going to be OK. Even better than OK because you will be sober.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
totfit

It absolutely gets better, but it takes a little time. It can be "made" better almost immediately with a good diet, proper rest, AND a copious amount of exercise. One does not have to kill themselves exercising, but walking, running, bicycling or most anything that keeps you moving and elevates the heart rate is good. This helps your brain chemistry and will help with anxiety. At least for myself, this is an ongoing, critical component to keeping anxiety in check.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I always thought that I had an anxiety disorder.

In my case, once I had a month or so of sobriety I realized that my anxiety was almost entirely due to hangover and alcohol withdrawal.

Everybody's different, but my chronic anxiety diminished significantly after about a month.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did not experience the technical definition of anxiety, but I did experience fear, mostly of drinking again and fear of situations that seemed like drinking would be necessary. But mostly I felt joy to be free of cravings.

FYI the technical definition of anxiety is fear with no knowledge of what you fear, and to me the two related emotions don't feel at all the same. I'll take fear over anxiety, anytime.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, Be

Well done on taking the first step! Anxiety can be quite intense during the early stages of giving up your DOC but in my personal experience it did pass after a few days - I actually felt more anxiety when I was drinking daily and of course the morning after!
As others have said, diet can definitely help and also exercise - Both of these helped me a lot especially at the very start.
My mental health practitioner also gave me a handbook called "Bend don't break" It was really helpful over the first couple of days - I'm sure you could probably find it online or something similar. I'll have a wee look to and post the link if I find It.
Stay strong everything will get better as the days pass!
Old 03-09-2020, 07:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anxiety was huge for me in the early weeks and it took time and patience to get it to ease up. You will get through this.
Old 03-09-2020, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A wonderful life awaits if you remain sober and dedicate your life to your recovery 🙏
Old 03-09-2020, 08:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nez

It took me a while to become a full blown alcoholic. So it is only natural that it took me a while to learn how live without alcohol. It does happen though and it gets easier the more distance and time we put between us and our addiction. Keep moving forward, the rewards are real!
Old 03-09-2020, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Pretty common question here. Its very likely the alcohol is what caused the anxiety. While drunk it dulls it, but sobering up it becomes pretty severe. I had a few times where I was extremely on edge. to the point if the doorbell rang I know that I would have come 3 feet off my chair. It was horrible.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yep. Anxiety was huge for a couple weeks then slowly stopped. Now I have no anxiety. It will go away.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cheers guys. I'm not going to drink, that much is settled, but it's nice to have some light at the end of the tunnel.

This too shall pass I guess!
Old 03-09-2020, 09:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Be123 View Post
Cheers guys. I'm not going to drink, that much is settled, but it's nice to have some light at the end of the tunnel.

This too shall pass I guess!
It does pass—at least the acute part pretty quickly
Old 03-09-2020, 09:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The anxiety in early recovery passes after a few days or weeks. Just stay sober and it will get better.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I can only echo what others have said here and for me the anxiety I used to endure, the panic drenched times I would have to leave my office and just pace around the streets, the 3am fear and loathing that would boil up in me so uncontrollably and more - all of that has passed and died off. It took some time. But it's gone. Sobriety sustains and gifts so much, especially the death of that horror. Stay strong and do the work.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Less the part you mentioned about work brought back memories.
My 1st panic attack happened in a meeting. I had no idea what was going on.
Told my boss I didn't feel well next thing I know Im getting loaded up in an ambulance headed to the emergency room.

Test after test they found nothing wrong.
Wasn't until I saw my GP and she suggested it might be panic attacks did it make sense.

Once I knew what they were I got better control of them but since I've been sober I have had exactly zero.

Keep on keeping on bee. It really does get better if you want it to!👍👍
Old 03-09-2020, 11:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Less the part you mentioned about work brought back memories.
My 1st panic attack happened in a meeting. I had no idea what was going on.
Told my boss I didn't feel well next thing I know Im getting loaded up in an ambulance headed to the emergency room.

Test after test they found nothing wrong.
Wasn't until I saw my GP and she suggested it might be panic attacks did it make sense
Fish - I had the exact same experience, I can even picture being in my boss' office and telling him that I had chest pains, I went to a walk-in clinic and they said the same. I think I knew exactly what was causing it, but of course I persisted with booze. Madness. Here's to being out of that sick game.
​​​
Old 03-09-2020, 01:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Anxiety is definitely improving for me Be123 (now) at 3 months.

Agree exercise, diet, meditation, etc., really help the process.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone taking the time to reply. As I've made the decision not to drink I have to find ways through stuff. Hope is certainly a great help, trying to let things be in the awareness that they will change in time.

I slept better last night and feel quite chill now