Notices

Just keep going

Old 03-06-2020, 08:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AKA ComputerMan

Talking Just keep going

I now have 206 days behind me YES that's almost 7 months and i can say i feel great. The fog has lifted and i feel like i am back on track. I want to say thanks to all of those who encouraged me! The best advice i can give to those just beginning is JUST KEEP GOING! Find something to keep you focused moving forward with your sobriety and it is all worth it in the end. There is light at the end of the tunnel and if you have the willpower you will overcome this addiction. My hands aren't shaky anymore, i can get through the week without thinking about how I'm going to get my next drink. I can fall asleep at night and wake up clear, and refreshed and with mental clarity. I'm proud of myself! I stay focused.

With that said, i can honestly say that my 4th and 5th month i realized why i drank for 23 years. I came to realize that my Anxiety was the culprit and now that's under control! I drank to stop my anxiety!! Well over the years it took more and more to keep those thoughts at bay. If you are drinking to mask your anxiety, please, you can gain control over it without drinking. I don't want to jinx myself but knowing this has empowered me to never pick up the bottle again. Ok i am done for the day. Have a good one and Keep on Keeping on ~ Joe Dirt
Old 03-06-2020, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

206 days - how wonderful, CG. Anxiety & shyness were two of the things I thought I was helping when I started to drink. Many years later, my anxiety & self-consciousness were still with me - made worse by alcohol dependence. It feels so good to be our authentic selves & to work on problems with a clear head & eyes wide open.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AKA ComputerMan

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
206 days - how wonderful, CG. Anxiety & shyness were two of the things I thought I was helping when I started to drink. Many years later, my anxiety & self-consciousness were still with me - made worse by alcohol dependence. It feels so good to be our authentic selves & to work on problems with a clear head & eyes wide open.
Don't get me started on athletics. lol i am now a free weight junkie i literally do 400 pushups and sit-ups every day now. If i don't i feel like i have jet lag or something
Old 03-06-2020, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

206 days is amazing well done, and thank you for sharing makes me want to keep going
Old 03-06-2020, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClarkGrizwold View Post
I came to realize that my Anxiety was the culprit and now that's under control! I drank to stop my anxiety!! Well over the years it took more and more to keep those thoughts at bay. If you are drinking to mask your anxiety, please, you can gain control over it without drinking.)
Huge congratulations to you!

Anxiety wasn't the reason why I drank, but during my drinking days, I developed anxiety and thought that alcohol was helping with it. It made my anxiety 100 times worse. Unfortunately, Nearly 600 days sober and I still suffer from anxiety before any social event (or really any interaction with anyone). I'd hoped quitting alcohol would have reduced it a lot more, but it's definitely not as bad as it was!
Old 03-06-2020, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClarkGrizwold View Post
Don't get me started on athletics. lol i am now a free weight junkie i literally do 400 pushups and sit-ups every day now. If i don't i feel like i have jet lag or something
Nice job and congrats. For me my commitment to health and fitness definitely helped drive and sustain my sobriety in my early days now it is just an integral part of my life. Keep it moving, it just gets better.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great post Clark - congrats on 206 days!
Old 03-06-2020, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice one. Yeah for me knowing the source of most of my anxiety was from the bottle is a big motivating factor to keep walking the line. Alcohol = guaranteed anxiety (also misery, disgust, etc.) And that's my focus at the moment - emotions, probably 'cause I've recently completed some CBT.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ooh, just came up with my own corny acronym that CBT would just love:

You'd be MAD to take a drink (Misery-Anxiety-Disgust).

Thank you and good night.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I reckon that was a good one Tetrax MAD, indeed.

A great post CG. Congratulations on 206 days.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I have a modest amount of clean time as well and the best thing is my confidence.

I am respectful and patient and am no longer afraid to go full up interactive.

It allows me to live with a measured temperance.

So wonderful.

As a 55 year old man, I need all the strength I can. Booze was my kryptonite.

I am no longer in a personal jail cell.

I suffered long and hard time get this free.

Not today av.

When I see a drunken person I have no jealousy. I only feel blessed to be free.

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats Clark! Thanks for the message of hope.