Notices

Recovering from the years

Old 03-02-2020, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovering from the years

I would like to follow some people who have made the decision to stop drinking after years and years of daily drinking and weekend binges. I live in a social world - everything involves drinking. Work, Family, friends. We don't hide our drinking - we hide our not drinking.

I decided one day to stop drinking and its been about a month and a half - about a week after New Years. I haven't really told anyone specifically and I have been trying to remain "busy" when things come up. It hasn't been hard to not drink but I physically am not feeling well. Very tired and achy. What should I be expecting in some sort of time line on feeling better. I almost feel like I felt better drinking but know that's not the answer. I am not sure how to find people like me on here that can help me out. Thanks
Old 03-02-2020, 07:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How did you feel physically and mentally on day one?
You might feel better drinking when you've had a few, but that never lasts.

I see you joined in April of 2017; have you been trying for a while?
Old 03-02-2020, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post3836936 ("stages" of recovery)

welcome, boatdrinks,
congratulations on quitting and posting
the above link might be of some use to you.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello & welcome! “We hide our not drinking” ... I completely understand that! That’s how most of my friends and neighbors are, too. My Sobriety date is 1/11/20. There’s a group of us who quit drinking in January 2020. You’re welcome to join our class. https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-4-a.html (Class of January 2020 PART 4)

There are also a bunch of other group threads that you’re welcome to read through and join in on.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Early recovery can be a bumpy road sometimes. Expect ups and downs. With continued sobriety, the road will become smoother.

I've been sober over 10 yrs now and never once have I woken up sober and wished I had drank the night before.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey there,
Great work on your month and half! My physical and mental well being was constantly up and down in the first 90 days. I don’t know where you live but It’s also cold and allergy season where I’m from. Either could make you achey and tired. Hang in there and I bet a million bucks you’ll keep feeding better.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It has been a gradual improvement from having little energy early on. Felt about half sick also but that could likely have resulted from the pollen. I'm not much farther along than you and only a little soreness now.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome boatdrinks

that used to be my life too - but someone who gets continually messily drunk - as I became - can find the social invites stop suddenly.

Eventually I quit drinking, I reconnected with the real me, and my social life is literally better than it's ever been.

I have to be honest and say not many of the same people are in my social circle now but I have been sober for nearly 13 years, too.

So change was inevitable for me, but it was not bad change - I lost an nasty addiction and regained a life I'd forgotten about.

Congrats on 6 weeks

D
Old 03-03-2020, 06:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there! For some of us it takes a while to feel better, but you will feel better. I never felt I had to justify my not drinking to anyone. In the end, nobody really cared.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was tired and achy too initially. I started feeling much better after around 3 months.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You'll hear it around here a lot from sober people - things get better. I am coming up on 2 years this spring, for the first time in my life, and nothing rings truer than that statement. It really does just keep getting better.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don’t know if it is even about feeling better. Perhaps it is just about not being drunk.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you start to feel better soon.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome.