Notices

Feeling Shame To Have Problem In First Place

Old 03-02-2020, 05:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling Shame To Have Problem In First Place

Hi All -

I'm sure this is common.

How do you confront feeling shame about having a problem (with such a stigma attached), that you can't control?

I know I'm projecting but I always think about how people think of ppl with a problem like me, etc.

Maybe I'm the only one, idk - but curious thoughts.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2020, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your thought process is very common. You think everyone knows and everyone is looking at you and knows about your problem. Its a mildly justified form of paranoia. I have experience with this.

I can tell you not everyone knows, and not everyone is looking at you. The feeling goes away, but only if you straighten out and get on the right path. I experienced this feeling not from alcohol but from a previous chapter in my life. It was bad. It took time. Lots of time. I can now go anywhere and feel confident and sure of myself.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I never felt shame. I'm sure a big part of that was because I was in my 50's. You develop a kind of "I don't give a f.." at that age. Don't worry about what others are thinking. You don't know what they are thinking anyway, and it's usually not as bad as you think.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Your thought process is very common. You think everyone knows and everyone is looking at you and knows about your problem. Its a mildly justified form of paranoia. I have experience with this.

I can tell you not everyone knows, and not everyone is looking at you. The feeling goes away, but only if you straighten out and get on the right path. I experienced this feeling not from alcohol but from a previous chapter in my life. It was bad. It took time. Lots of time. I can now go anywhere and feel confident and sure of myself.
That's great to hear you overcame it thomas!

When you say "The feeling goes away, but only if you straighten out and get on the right path." - what exactly do you mean if you don't mind?

Is it certain mindset changes?

I am of course sober now, so that's being sorted....
Old 03-02-2020, 06:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
I never felt shame. I'm sure a big part of that was because I was in my 50's. You develop a kind of "I don't give a f.." at that age. Don't worry about what others are thinking. You don't know what they are thinking anyway, and it's usually not as bad as you think.
I can see that! I am pretty young for reference, under 35 so it's still a fairly common "part" of life.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreatInquiry7 View Post
Maybe I'm the only one, idk
Definitely not. So you were right...

You could start by learning about it? (Google, Youtube, etc)

'Toxic Shame' I believe it's called...

All the best
Old 03-02-2020, 06:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
nez

The people in the world that don't think they have any problems are the ones that really have a problem and they don't stand any chance of getting better because they can't see areas where work is needed.

Human beings have problems. Smart ones work on them, that is nothing to be ashamed about.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You’re not alone. I had a lot of shame for the things I’ve done when I was drunk. The way I see it now, is that I wouldn’t be where I am now had it not been for the lessons I had to learn the hard way. I can’t go back and change the past, so I need to accept it, learn from it, and move on. Sounds so simple, but it’s not and I still struggle with it on occasion.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How do you confront feeling shame about having a problem (with such a stigma attached), that you can't control?
I felt it mostly at the end of my drinking. Seeking help seemed pathetic at the time. After I started getting better, the shame just evaporated, as I found a tremendous amount of support in meetings. I mostly kept my early recovery and meeting attendance under raps, but started telling others about what I was doing at around 6 months. I don't know if people talk behind my back about my past, but face to face, I always feel respected when people see that I have whipped my problem.

Before I quit was where the shame was. People put up with my drinking even if someone had to help me out of the car, but I spent a lot of time feeling like a loser. In recovery, I feel nothing but pride. I understand that alcoholism is a stigma, and many people probably see it as a weakness. I don't care. I'm don't need to change society, and I expect little from it. As long as I feel good about myself, there is no problem. No problem at all, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Look up Ted Talks on Shame. Psychology today also has great articles on Shame and vulnerability that really helped my husband (who is attempting sobriety).
Old 03-02-2020, 06:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I know I'm projecting but I always think about how people think of ppl with a problem like me, etc.
Most people are too worried about what people are thinking of them to be thinking about you. The only person thinking about you, is you.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi All -

I'm sure this is common.

Maybe I'm the only one, idk - but curious thoughts.

Thanks!
I remind everyone with this idea that alcohol use disorder is medically - a disorder. There is almost always another underlying issue, even if it's undiagnosed. It is much more of a mental health issue than a behavioral health issue. Just we have the power to neuter one of the biggest components of the issue - alcohol abuse. Put down the bat. A lot of people have destructive relationships with the bottle.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The work we do to get and stay sober will help relieve that. And I've found that with the time and space sobriety provides I can continue to do whatever work my psyche requires. In other words, sobriety is the answer.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Great,
I can relate to your question. I felt embarrassed about not being able to control my alcohol and resigning to getting sober. Even though I knew it was my only option and way out, I felt that I had failed and was embarrassed to tell anyone. Like I ultimately lost a game I was really good at and felt like a loser.
I didn’t understand how people could throw around terms like “they were in recovery” and “working on their sobriety” so freely without shame. For me it took picking myself up after every relapse, slowly getting comfortable in my Recovery Dharma community and wanting to be sober more than anything for me to finally embrace recovery without shame. Especially now that I’m seeing some rewards. I don’t know if I’ll ever be proud of being in recovery because I am still embarrassed of what I did for years to get here but I am comfortable with it and proud of my grit and that I never gave up. I’m proud of you and this SR group too!!
Old 03-02-2020, 08:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I work through the shame by looking in the mirror every morning and telling my self that I am beautiful, strong, and good enough. We all deserve to be free from the pain of our past mistakes.

Learn to love yourself again, the shame will begin to dissipate.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Most people are too worried about what people are thinking of them to be thinking about you. The only person thinking about you, is you.
I always liked this one: "You wouldn't worry so much about what other people think of you if you realized how seldom they did."
Old 03-02-2020, 08:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I felt ashamed when I drank too much, but never of being a sober A because I was proud of being able to tackle my problem.