Notices

Anxiety and Depression

Old 03-02-2020, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety and Depression

Hi everyone. I'm 19 days sober, have made it through 3 weekends!

Yesterday, depression and anxiety kicked in and the feeling that I just don't care about anything except not drinking. It's the same today. Don't feel like journaling, doing my daily mantra, or anything I usually enjoy to start my day.

I am also living on Ben and Jerry's, tea, ginger beer and fast food, which I know isn't great but again, I just don't care.

I sometimes get depressed but moderately and the anxiety is probably from work, this my 2nd busiest week of the year.

Did anyone have these feelings kick in out of nowhere? I know it varies but how long is this going to last?

MM
Old 03-02-2020, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes I have felt that way but didn't care how much I ate or what I ate. Didn't care if I just sat around doing nothing all I cared about is not drinking. I am close to three months now and notice that I am not eating as much and I am getting more active. Just hang in there things will adjust over time. I can't wait to see what I am doing in the next three months.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, for sure. Early recovery was a series of ups and downs for me. I had to learn to deal with the emotions without benefit of alcohol and it wasn't easy. Also, in general, life is full of ups and downs and there are always going to be down days. The difference for me was , when I was sober, I knew they wouldn't last.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats Sammy

Almost 3 months is awesome!! What was the worst part for you during this time, besides not drinking?
Old 03-02-2020, 10:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All par for the course. There’s a reason why those that stay sober are in the minority. Working a solid recovery program really helps with ones mental health in my experience. AA meetings are great for fellows going through the same too 🙏
Old 03-02-2020, 10:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am at two weeks and feeling exactly the same. I am eating like total crap too. I know that isnt helping but i need food right now! Today i feeling like total poop. I hate it. I am hoping this is just a down day. At least we arent drinking, right?
Old 03-02-2020, 10:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I felt the way all of you described during early recovery.

I ultimately had to seek professional help for my depression and anxiety, although I waited entirely too long in doing so.

For those of you with serious depression and anxiety, I urge you to go to a qualified doctor.

I also highly recommend to you newcomers that you find and follow a program of recovery.

I'm happy all of you are here.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, I felt that way around the 2-3 week mark... maybe a little later. I think it lasted a couple of weeks and now I’m not as depressed or anxious. I think I was so gung ho and upbeat about quitting that the reality of it all set in, and caused some depression and anxiety. I don’t feel as upbeat as I was, but the depression and anxiety have subsided.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I see my GP regularly to monitor my depression and anxiety- plus a psychologist to process all the crap in my head. This is a lifelong work in progress.
My support to you.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we've all felt that way MarleysMama.

Assuming this is something new to you and not a chronic condition it should pass

It helped me to recognise it as a part of healing mind and body.

I made lists of things to do each day - little lists...but I kept active and kept moving forward, and the clouds lifted again

D
Old 03-02-2020, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am with you. It is very hard. I hate the medication I have had because it changes my personality. Talking to people struggling around the world helps better for me. Talking to different doctors is the best course of action.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh it gets better, if your like many of us, emotions will bubble up that you haven't felt for years. For me it involved lots of tears. ugh.