Notices

Questions you may be able to help me with

Old 02-28-2020, 11:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions you may be able to help me with

Good afternoon, so I’m a little confused even though I read here a lot and consider myself to be a pretty smart guy.

Quick summary: I’m a 51 year old male. Back in July of 2019 I had an ultrasound which showed Hepatic Steatosis (fatty liver) however it was a “tick” past that (whatever that means from my MD). He also mentioned that I had an MRI or some imaging 11 years ago and I also had fatty liver back then but it hasn’t really progressed (I don’t recall even having that). He told me in the office that this is a good window where you could reverse this and heal your liver back to a healthy one. He said this fatty liver could be from diet, genetics and booze, I’m going to go with the latter. I’m also going for a fibro scan in June for follow up.

In June 2019 I also had extensive blood work done that focused on the liver which included Hep B C panels and everything else and these all came back OK and within range (ALT/AST).

At that time I gave up the booze for a while but slowly creeped back over the weeks. One of the stupid things some of us do is when we feel good again after not drinking for a few weeks we get lulled back into thinking things are good, when they aren’t.

My MD also wanted to lose weight (right now I’m 6’3 226) and get down to 205 and he sent me to a weight loss program which they took all kinds of blood, etc. which was just last week and all of my liver functions were again in normal ranges.

Here’s my questions that maybe you can help me with.

1) A lot of people talk about ALT/AST/Bilirubin, etc. on this website but apparently they really don’t mean too much. People talk about lowering these after a few weeks/month of not drinking and then all my levels were “perfectly in range”. So yes, they’re levels are back in range but according to what I’ve read, all of these blood readings can be as healthy as a 17 year old and you can still have cirrhosis so I guess I just don’t’ understand all the jubilance about good blood work especially if you’ve had sky high results in prior labs. If you can help me understand that a little, I’d be grateful. I know that good blood work means your liver is “functioning” well so I have that part.

2) Dovetailing off the above. Is there a general sense as to how long you go from fatty liver to cirrhosis? I know everyone is different and I’m sure someone has a cousins friend who went from fatty liver to cirrhosis in 3 weeks or so but I’m looking for a moderate or general answer that’s common. Also, do you have any info on how quickly a fatty liver can reverse to normal?

3) I asked my MD about my blood work and cirrhosis and what it means at a 10,000 foot view. He said that if you had some liver disease or cirrhosis or the start of that, your ALT and AST would be in the 100’s or 200’s and we would have an idea of what’s going on. He is a new doctor to me and my old MD would just do the blood work at my physical and say, “looks good” as all my levels were in range. I’m reading now that you can have cirrhosis and have normal ALT/AST, etc. which seems odd as I would think that at some point if you have a liver disease your ALT/AST would be higher. It seems like you’re just getting a serious liver issue with no pre cursors to it. As I mentioned, why even put so much stress on the ALT/AST results if you can have one foot in the proverbial grave and not even know it? So do people like myself just walk around and get perfect physicals each year and then wake up yellow one morning with jaundice and just have cirrhosis?

Sorry for the long post but I read a lot on these pages and they really help me get thought some times. Who knows, maybe this will help someone else also.

I’m not looking for medical advice, just wisdom of people who have been there. I’m also not looking for that 1 case in a million that everyone has heard about, just honest moderate info.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I can't offer you an example that will lessen your anxiety. I will say, "Quit drinking and trust your doctor."
Old 02-28-2020, 12:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure if you're still drinking now, but if so, stopping drinking is probably the best thing you can do.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not drinking. Thanks. I was just looking for information and help with those questions.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I remember you had a lengthy medical question post this fall J. While I understand the desire to try and find answers the only advice that makes a difference is going to be not to drink. Are you still drinking with all that going on?
Old 02-28-2020, 12:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I can't offer you an example that will lessen your anxiety. I will say, "Quit drinking and trust your doctor."
Originally Posted by JADIII View Post
I'm not drinking. Thanks. I was just looking for information and help with those questions.
Then I'll amend that to, "Trust your doctor."
Old 02-28-2020, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JADIII View Post
Congrats on that then. Good stuff. Good luck with the rest.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You can go to the American Liver Foundation inspire. They have a forum almost like this for people with liver disease or people with questions.
Just copy and post your message on there site and everyone can answer some of your questions.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry guys, I didn't know these were so touchy questions. I just figured that some nice people out here (like most posts) had a some insight.

Have a nice night.