Notices

It’s been a while - Update

Old 02-28-2020, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It’s been a while - Update

Quick recap of my struggle for anyone new. I was drinking around the clock. In the morning, at work, middle of the night, etc. I could no longer sleep without waking up every two hours to have a drink. On December 17th, I crawled into the ER with alcohol withdrawal. My heart was at stroke like levels and my liver was failing. Pretty sure I heard a doctor ask if they should have paddles nearby in case they had to revive me. Scary stuff. They pumped me full of anti withdrawal drugs and off I went.

The first two weeks were spectacular. The pink cloud effect. I’d known I wanted to quit for a long time but I couldn’t physically do it due to the withdrawals. The meds they gave me solved that problem. It felt so good to finally be off the booze.

Then the reality set in. I could no longer drink. Everything in my life revolved around drinking and now I had to do all of it sober. Depression kicked in. Hard. Getting out of bed was nearly impossible. Mood swings were draining and uncontrollable. There was literally nothing I could do to break the depression. Reading posts on here promising that everything will get better were complete bullsh*t to me.

Then about a month ago, I got a call from my mom in the middle of the night. My dad collapsed and died. 66 years old. He was truly a great person. My mom being the angel that she is, told me the first thing she thought about was me going back to drinking. That hit hard. Her husband of 43 years just died and her first thought was my well being.

I am now 73 days sober. There are a lot of cliches in sobriety. None more important than “one day at a time”. I used to think of it as corny but come to find out it had a big role in saving my life.

The depression has finally lifted and I feel like I am just now starting to shape my new life. For those of you struggling in early sobriety, please take the advice of others and truly know that it does get a lot easier. Life really opens up and becomes a lot more manageable. One last cliche: if I can get and stay sober, anyone can. TRUST ME!
Old 02-28-2020, 08:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post. It’s very encouraging & inspiring. I’m really sorry for the loss of your dad.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am also very sorry for the loss of your dad. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Congratulations on 73 days. My calculator here says that is 2.35 months. Awesome!!
Old 02-28-2020, 09:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Good to hear from you again though. Was wondering where you went.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry you lost your dad.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Im sorry for your families loss. My dad passed away a couple of years ago at 66. I was still drinking then and alcohol doesn't take the grief away and makes it much deeper and prolonged. Thats why it's good to hear you are sober and taking life in as it comes. My condolences to you and your entire family.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the post, Vinny and I'm glad you're doing so well. I'm very sorry about the loss of your dad.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you're here Vinny. I'm sorry for your loss. Take it one day at a time, one minute at a time if need be.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Vinny sorry to hear about your Dad
Good on you staying sober. It is obviously important to your Mom also.
You can now be there for her which she will need.

Great work man!
Old 02-28-2020, 10:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Vinny, was thinking about you last few weeks.

Sorry to hear about your Dad ☹️

It is that time of life for me too, the generation that raised me is starting to go, one by one. Circle of life.

Good on you for staying sober through it.

Keep it up pal.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dearest Vinnie. You started in my Dececember 2020 class and have been wondering where you were, and how you were doing. So happy to hear you are doing well. I too am very sorry about the loss of your Dad. You have a good mum.

I used to think it was all bullshite too, the depression, the sickness, the cliches, the everything, but like you the sun came up and I saw alcohol for what it was, and it was bullshite not recovery and sobriety. Amazing stuff. Beautiful stuff.

I'm so very happy for you Vinnie.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VinnyMcM View Post

The first two weeks were spectacular.

Then the reality set in. I could no longer drink. Everything in my life revolved around drinking and now I had to do all of it sober. Depression kicked in. Hard. Getting out of bed was nearly impossible. Mood swings were draining and uncontrollable. There was literally nothing I could do to break the depression. Reading posts on here promising that everything will get better were complete bullsh*t to me.
Before I quit, I couldn't imagine a life without alcohol either, but when I finally did quit, I quickly realized the real bullsh*t was thinking I needed alcohol in my life. What was also surprising to me was that there are so many people who don't drink at all, and it never occurs to any of them that they could not be happy without alcohol.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done Vin. Yes the AA clichés sound so false, at first to some- but there is wisdom there- for those who deem to learn. My support to you.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry for your loss Vinny. I'm really glad your recovery is intact tho.
welcome back

D
Old 02-28-2020, 09:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're pushing with sobriety, sorry about your loss.

I've been so busy but will catch up with how everyone is doing.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Vinny I am so damn sorry about your Dad. Thanks for such an inspiring post. Really great to hear your online voice here on SR. My quit date was a little prior to yours but not by much. I haven't faced any huge life events since I quit drinking and your post will help me when that inevitably happens.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry - I lost my mom 2 years ago. Losing parents is common and usual, but it doesn't make it any easier. Congrats on today - I agree, the cliches are horrid, but they do help! 💘💘💘
Old 02-29-2020, 05:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I’m so glad I got sober before my dad passed away. No way I would have been able to deal with that while drinking.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

What an honest & heartfelt post, Vinny. It will help encourage many - I'm sure.
I was exactly where you were - drinking all day, & kept one on my nightstand so I wouldn't shake during the night if I woke up. Classy. I was sure nothing would ever be fun or exciting again. So pathetic. I'm very thankful we got free of it. Thank you for telling your story for others to benefit from. Praying for you & your mom.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 73 and so sorry to hear about your dad, if you were strong to get thru that without drinking you got this... proud of u.