Notices

A feeling you thought you lost but got back?

Old 02-27-2020, 10:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A feeling you thought you lost but got back?

When I was 17 years old I turned away from a promising path in contemporary dance and choreography to drink.
Simple as that.
I threw it all away in order to numb out for the next 17 years and never thought about it again. I didn't allow myself to think about my lost passion for a second because the pain was too great.
Instead, I lost years and decades poisoning myself, placing myself in more dangerous situations and places with people who didn't care about me. I became lonely, sick and tired.
Every now and then I would watch a dance show, search a routine or just give myself one memory...just to remember. It hurt. I loved it so much. But it wasn't important anymore, I told myself. It was ok.

Today, I met with three young girls and began choreography on a contemporary routine for a competition in August. This opportunity was given to me through my job. My new job that I was hired for at one month of sobriety. The fitness director heard that I used to dance and offered me a chance to teach. We started and today, I saw the routine come to life, I saw these girls getting excited and I felt myself remembering. The feelings I had when I was 17 years old came flowing back, and I was taken right back to that dance studio. Me, young, full of life, present and happy. All of it was there for me. Creating, moving and teaching something I loved so dearly has moved me to a place of gratitude so profound that I am in awe.

Today I thanked these girls with a quick message; "You're doing great girls, very happy to be working with you." A short message that doesn't even begin to cover an iota of what is happening to me.

They wrote back their gratitude as well at working with me. I will see them next week and they don't even know that they are doing so much more for me than I could ever do for them.

These are the miracles of sobriety, these are the promises.

Night

Nic.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Great post! I'm glad you are involved with your passion again.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome post. I love it!
Old 02-27-2020, 10:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

These are good posts to read for motivation for all of us quitters
Old 02-27-2020, 10:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That really lifted my spirits! Thank you for posting that. I needed to read that.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Thanks for sharing NicLin x It’s so motivating and uplifting to read and for those that feel like they are never going to get or deserve a second chance a reminder that it’s possible and everyone deserves that. I am really happy for you xx
Old 02-28-2020, 12:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Such a great testimony to sobriety NicLin.

There are passions I had that I left behind too. Slowly I am beginning to see that I can still, all this time time later, regain them. It is never too late.

Thanks for posting NicLin you have given me further reason to continue the journey.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow! What a post. What an inspiration. I'm truly happy for you.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NicLin View Post
When I was 17 years old I turned away from a promising path in contemporary dance and choreography to drink.
Simple as that.
I threw it all away in order to numb out for the next 17 years and never thought about it again. I didn't allow myself to think about my lost passion for a second because the pain was too great.
Instead, I lost years and decades poisoning myself, placing myself in more dangerous situations and places with people who didn't care about me. I became lonely, sick and tired.
Every now and then I would watch a dance show, search a routine or just give myself one memory...just to remember. It hurt. I loved it so much. But it wasn't important anymore, I told myself. It was ok.

Today, I met with three young girls and began choreography on a contemporary routine for a competition in August. This opportunity was given to me through my job. My new job that I was hired for at one month of sobriety. The fitness director heard that I used to dance and offered me a chance to teach. We started and today, I saw the routine come to life, I saw these girls getting excited and I felt myself remembering. The feelings I had when I was 17 years old came flowing back, and I was taken right back to that dance studio. Me, young, full of life, present and happy. All of it was there for me. Creating, moving and teaching something I loved so dearly has moved me to a place of gratitude so profound that I am in awe.

Today I thanked these girls with a quick message; "You're doing great girls, very happy to be working with you." A short message that doesn't even begin to cover an iota of what is happening to me.

They wrote back their gratitude as well at working with me. I will see them next week and they don't even know that they are doing so much more for me than I could ever do for them.

These are the miracles of sobriety, these are the promises.

Night

Nic.
Great post!
Finding lost values and purpose in life gives meaning to life.
When our values trump our addiction, there is no addiction.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

and they don't even know that they are doing so much more for me than I could ever do for them

I found that happening to me when I gave to others
Old 02-28-2020, 07:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So glad this is happening to you.
Enjoy it
Old 02-28-2020, 09:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Beautiful stuff. Thank you for the reminder to me to remain aware of these simple yet profound gifts of sobriety.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Such a wonderfully uplifting post, NicLin, I'm so pleased for you and the girls.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by NicLin View Post
they don't even know that they are doing so much more for me than I could ever do for them.
I found the exact same thing when I got involved volunteering in something I was very passionate about, in early recovery.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow this post just gave me hope. I hope with sobriety i can get my old passions back!
Old 02-28-2020, 12:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Choreography and dance are not all that simple LessGravity. Just saying.

It's great though.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I am in a good place today and able to see the beautiful things in my life.
I hope that you each see them too, they have always been there for us.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great post- sometimes stuff like that happens for a reason I believe.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This is so moving and inspirational. I’m moved by these words and so happy for your progress and how you’ve grown.