Notices

Welp, I relapsed. Doggone it!!!

Old 02-26-2020, 10:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Welp, I relapsed. Doggone it!!!

Went to rehab, thought I was strong after several weeks of sobriety. But I am now back to Day One. Went to a meeting. Saw a doctor to withdrawal meds. My wife promised me should would not leave me if I commit to AA. I so do not want to back to the dog days of drinking.

i am going to get all of my material from rehab and wrote out a recovery plan. Starting tonight I will begin praying again, and meditate in the mornings.

I will resume regular posting on here.

thanks in advance for all your support.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you drank Horn but I'm glad you're getting a plan together.

What kind of thinking led you to think you could drink again and have some kind of different outcome?
Old 02-27-2020, 01:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Horn, a recovery plan will help you stay sober.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You have done it, and you can do it again! You know what to do, so just do it. I go with Dee´s advice- ask yourself the right questions, but IMHO I don´t think you find those answers in a bible... The answers is in you.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Back on track Horn. Every day will be a new beginning. Congrats on getting it back together again.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When and how did you decide to drink?
Old 02-27-2020, 03:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
When and how did you decide to drink?
Exactly my point.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Mr

Well done for coming clean.
And take care.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are ok Horn. We don't drink any more, that's all. Life is so simple that way. It's like putting down a large heavy bag of excrement that you've been carrying around for some weird reason. Just put it down and walk away. Welcome back. I'm 3 months sober and loving every day.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This thinking and when I decided to drink was for a business trip to LA. Thought I could drink, sober up, and come back home. Turned into an 8 day bender. my wife, understandably, was furious.!

simply put, I did not make my sobriety the absolute number one priority.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Acceptance is such a big issue in recovery. Those of us who are alcoholics can't drink, ever. I'm glad you are back and that you have a recovery plan in place.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Having been here with you, getting sober around the first time you started to, working in similar fields, same age, with family, health etc in the balance, I'm not sure what you mean in your response. More to the point there is a flippancy in the way you describe your decision to drink on this business trip - its almost like you're describing the decision to get a new haircut. I know you were doing in-patient for a period correct? Where's the gravity and seriousness? Just something really lacking here man. To be honest.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Having been here with you, getting sober around the first time you started to, working in similar fields, same age, with family, health etc in the balance, I'm not sure what you mean in your response. More to the point there is a flippancy in the way you describe your decision to drink on this business trip - its almost like you're describing the decision to get a new haircut. I know you were doing in-patient for a period correct? Where's the gravity and seriousness? Just something really lacking here man. To be honest.
oh, excuse me master toda. I have not attained your level of sobriety wisdom.

I want to keep you as a friend. But re-read your post. It reeks of arrogance and judgement. I have a lot of work to do. And yes, the problem is I am still at a point of drinking like it is a haircut. Just don’t be a jerk about it.

i came on here looking for help. Not a “we’re similar but I did better post.” Think about what you wrote.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you're here. Get to a f2f AA meeting. Get a sponsor. Work the steps. Everything will fall into place.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The written word on screens leaves much to be desired. I did not pick up on any flippancy or a lack of serious purpose in Horn's report that he picked up a drink.

I think this awful thing can often take us down again in the span of a moment. Less time than deciding to get a haircut. It is one of the things that scares me so much. I am 3 months sober and never want to drink again, but in a moment, folks report picking up again after years of sobriety.

I think Horn's report is a really frightening example of what could happen to any of us. A split second and we drink again. It seems to be a common and terrifying tale.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Horn,

I’m glad you’re back. Looking forward to seeing you posting again.❤️
Old 02-27-2020, 01:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Folks

either take it to PM or use the ignore function.

Dee
Administrator
SR
Old 02-27-2020, 02:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
quat

Do you mean the strength of several weeks of sobriety was the strength to drink for only a short time and then stop?
Is your goal to be able to keep drinking sessions in check and manageable?
Old 02-27-2020, 03:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Do you mean the strength of several weeks of sobriety was the strength to drink for only a short time and then stop?
Is your goal to be able to keep drinking sessions in check and manageable?
No, my goal is to stop drinking permanently. I learned a lot in rehab, and then I just slid back. I know what I need to do. I am. Not lost. As coaches and players say in sport — “I just need to execute.”
Old 02-27-2020, 04:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
quat

Good , teetotaling is not only doable it’s actually the natural state

And ironically, the execution in this game is to say “I quit” and live it .