Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Thinking about going back to work. Don’t want to fall back into old habits though.

Notices

Thinking about going back to work. Don’t want to fall back into old habits though.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was a middle school teacher. Not to toot my own horn, but I was pretty decent at it and loved my students. It was stressful though. Not the actual teaching aspect of the job, it was stressful due to micromanaging administrators, mountains of paperwork, toxic colleagues, and one particular person who tried really hard to sabotage me.

Anyway, I got into some bad habits. Sometimes I would take adderall to stay up all night re-working lesson plans that were going to be picked apart anyway. One time I worked through my spring break, drinking coffee all day, barely eating, then switching to wine all evening. Perk myself up with adderall and keep working.

It wasn’t like that all the time though. Most days I would stay at work until around 6, so I could leave my work at work. And I’d stop at the liquor store and pick up those mini bottles of Prosecco and pop one open for the drive home. Then I’d get home and drink until bedtime. Fridays were great. I’d get home from work and immediately started dreading Monday, so I’d start drinking. Ugh.

That’s one of the reasons I quit; I knew I had to make changes. And I didn’t know how I could face that job sober. People manage to get sober while working all the time, but I didn’t feel like I could do that, I am lucky that I’ve been able to stay home and sort myself out. I didn’t get sober right away, but I finally got myself under control and quit drinking

So I quit my job in June 2018, sober since January 2019. And now I kind of miss work. I’m thinking that maybe instead of teaching full time I could be an assistant. Their pay is abysmal, but the workload is easier. Maybe if I can find a school with a less toxic work environment I can eventually apply for a full time teaching position.

(edited because I hit post prematurely)

Anyway, I’m just mulling things over. I’m open to any words of wisdom or advice. I know this is a dilemma a lot of us encounter in some way. I just don’t want to put myself in a triggering situation.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Teaching is a hard profession. I would say start as a substitute. Try different schools. If being a substitute is too hard at least from my understanding you would not be under a contract. Congratulations on the one 1 yr. Keep it up.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hail View Post
Teaching is a hard profession. I would say start as a substitute. Try different schools. If being a substitute is too hard at least from my understanding you would not be under a contract. Congratulations on the one 1 yr. Keep it up.
This is something I’ve been considering as well. I would like the opportunity to see how a few different schools function.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

If being a substitute or an assistant means less stress but still teaching, go for it, I reckon.

D
Old 02-26-2020, 03:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post

This is something I’ve been considering as well. I would like the opportunity to see how a few different schools function.
As a former educator myself, I would think that you may not get a real feel for the culture of a school as a sub, maybe if you went to the same building repeatedly, but you might not find the information you want. As an aid you would. At least in MO, aids can come and go during the school year as they aren't under contract. Good luck on whatever you decide.

22 months is great!! Good for you! I would hate to lose that lead.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bonnie, it really seems that, although you enjoyed the teaching part of the job, there were many significant stressors. Working long days, working through holidays and staying up all night to re-do work are all unhealthy situations. It sounds to me like you should try to find a work situation that would be much less stressful for you. I wish you luck in your search.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
waking down

Teaching middle school turned me into a drunk. Transferring to a high school helped me prevent relapse, but it wasn't long before I quit that job, too. And I'm with you on the part about the stress not being about the kids. It was the system and the adults that led to hopelessness and drunkenness. I agree that getting your feet wet in various environments makes sense. Maybe something other than a school. You have skills. There's something to be said for keeping busy and having to get up and out of bed in the morning.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
Teaching middle school turned me into a drunk. Transferring to a high school helped me prevent relapse, but it wasn't long before I quit that job, too. And I'm with you on the part about the stress not being about the kids. It was the system and the adults that led to hopelessness and drunkenness. I agree that getting your feet wet in various environments makes sense. Maybe something other than a school. You have skills. There's something to be said for keeping busy and having to get up and out of bed in the morning.
Hmm. I could be interested in the idea of working in a non-school environment. I have no idea what I could do, but maybe this is worth exploring.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bonniefloyd View Post
I was a middle school teacher. Not to toot my own horn, but I was pretty decent at it and loved my students. It was stressful though. Not the actual teaching aspect of the job, it was stressful due to micromanaging administrators, mountains of paperwork, toxic colleagues, and one particular person who tried really hard to sabotage me.

Anyway, I got into some bad habits. Sometimes I would take adderall to stay up all night re-working lesson plans that were going to be picked apart anyway. One time I worked through my spring break, drinking coffee all day, barely eating, then switching to wine all evening. Perk myself up with adderall and keep working.

It wasn’t like that all the time though. Most days I would stay at work until around 6, so I could leave my work at work. And I’d stop at the liquor store and pick up those mini bottles of Prosecco and pop one open for the drive home. Then I’d get home and drink until bedtime. Fridays were great. I’d get home from work and immediately started dreading Monday, so I’d start drinking. Ugh.

That’s one of the reasons I quit; I knew I had to make changes. And I didn’t know how I could face that job sober. People manage to get sober while working all the time, but I didn’t feel like I could do that, I am lucky that I’ve been able to stay home and sort myself out. I didn’t get sober right away, but I finally got myself under control and quit drinking

So I quit my job in June 2018, sober since January 2019. And now I kind of miss work. I’m thinking that maybe instead of teaching full time I could be an assistant. Their pay is abysmal, but the workload is easier. Maybe if I can find a school with a less toxic work environment I can eventually apply for a full time teaching position.

(edited because I hit post prematurely)

Anyway, I’m just mulling things over. I’m open to any words of wisdom or advice. I know this is a dilemma a lot of us encounter in some way. I just don’t want to put myself in a triggering situation.
I'm self employed and know what is like to experience the anxiety of wanting to be successful in everyway and the inevitable impediments of life.
It wasn't until the last few years that I just accepted the fact that life is never going to be easy, fair and painless and I am never always going to get what I want. (Addictive Belief System). Now I just try and do my best, take pride in my best; take in the chaff and grain together and with a breath of comfort blow the rest away. I realize that is not easy, but as you get older you hopefully get wiser which might be another way of saying follow your values and purpose in life.
When your values trump your addiction, there is no addiction.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am a retired teacher and am currently subbing. It's a pretty good job once you find out which schools to work at and which ones to avoid. Can't beat the work hours, and you don't have to bring any work home. Simply follow the sub plans and keep the kids under control (as a former middle school teacher, this should be a breeze for you). Being an aide might also work for you. You might also consider working at a YMCA. I also hear that Children's Hospitals always need teachers to work with kids while they are there to keep them up on their schoolwork. Tutoring might be another option. And there are also before and after school programs that you might like. Good luck. John
Old 02-28-2020, 09:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I got out of the treatment center on a Thursday and went back to the office the next day.

Most people think their jobs are stressful and, I suppose, most of them are.

I'm a lawyer and routinely get in rather visceral fights on a regular basis.

The OP chronicles my own experiences with work and alcohol very closely.

But I don't associate work with sobriety or view my work as threatening my sobriety.

For me, my sobriety dictates how I behave in my profession and not the other way around.

I work my program of recovery (I work several of the AA 12 Steps each day with my job in mind) hard and suit up and show up at work.

These are just my thoughts.

I wish you the best with your decision.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just my opinion, but if you are looking for stress free employment, you won't find it. That's why it's called a "job."

As SoberCAH said, "sobriety dictates how I behave in my profession and not the other way around."

You may want to revisit your recovery plan to see if there are things you could do to strengthen it.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
Just my opinion, but if you are looking for stress free employment, you won't find it. That's why it's called a "job."

As SoberCAH said, "sobriety dictates how I behave in my profession and not the other way around."

You may want to revisit your recovery plan to see if there are things you could do to strengthen it.
Oh, I just saw this. Must have missed it when I was reading here earlier.

To address zebra’s concerns: I’m aware of what a “job” is, and I did not say that I was looking for stress-free employment. Maybe my original post gave off some kind of ignorant, delusional vibe, but I can assure you that this is not the case here.

And to point out the obvious, in my experience, some jobs are more stressful than others. Some workplaces are mostly supportive while others are more toxic. What’s wrong with weighing my options while taking into consideration previous experiences and triggers?

As for my recovery plan ... I mean, that’s the whole point of this post. I’m planning for how I’m going to handle making potential changes to my day to day routine when/if I go back to work.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks people — a lot of excellent input here. You guys have given me a lot of good stuff to think about as I figure out my next move. ❤️❤️❤️
Old 03-02-2020, 10:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Put your sobriety and recovery as no1 priority in your life always. Everything will all fall in to place from there 🙏
Old 03-02-2020, 02:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brighterday1234 View Post
Put your sobriety and recovery as no1 priority in your life always. Everything will all fall in to place from there 🙏
So true. Definitely words to live by. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

I'm a teacher as well, and I totally understand where you are coming from. I LOVE teaching, I adore my students and I think it's the best job in the world, but the paperwork and all the other non-teaching related stuff ( not to mention the new principal with her weird thoughts as to what good management is) I have had to take a step back. My job made me sick, and I don't know what to do now.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lixie View Post
I'm a teacher as well, and I totally understand where you are coming from. I LOVE teaching, I adore my students and I think it's the best job in the world, but the paperwork and all the other non-teaching related stuff ( not to mention the new principal with her weird thoughts as to what good management is) I have had to take a step back. My job made me sick, and I don't know what to do now.
Oh wow, do I relate — the paperwork, the principal, and non-teaching related stuff. Ugh, I’m getting flashbacks. I can handle a lot, but the worst thing for me was the complete loss of professional autonomy. My last principal was such a rigid micromanager. I’ll resist the urge to launch into a rant here, just ... it sucked. I felt that we were doing our kids a disservice in so many ways, and it was very difficult to do much about it.

Anyway, it’s a shame that so many good teachers are leaving, but it’s important to take care of your mental and physical health. How long have you taught? Have you taught at other schools? I’ve thought about teaching in another district or maybe a private school, but I don’t want to jump into another one year contract at this time. So yeah, I don’t know what to do either. If you figure something out, let me know!
Old 03-03-2020, 04:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

What about a charter school, or private tutoring? Sounds like you love the work, but the school you were at wasn't a good fit.

One thing I did just think of though...sometimes we look at work and use that as "cover" to explain our drinking problem. I know I did. I'm always amazed at how much better work is and my performance is when I'm sober.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I battled keeping my job for years and I think that became my downfall in the end. I didn't want to leave because of one awful toxic person because I had worked so hard to get there, but staying killed me in other ways so I had to eventually leave anyway. I am a nurse and I haven't done it for a year and a half now and I think that has been key to my recovery. I'm glad you're being realistic in how important it is to keep away from such an environment, good luck x