Notices

Day 4

Old 02-25-2020, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4

Anxious, sad, and a little cranky. I'm trying to stay busy, eat healthy and get enough rest Any other suggestion on surviving the first month?
Old 02-25-2020, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome (if you're new here)or back if you aren't. The biggest help for me was posting and reading posts. You're sure to find something that resonates with you here.

Glad you signed in and good for you for already having 4 days under your belt! Way to go!
Old 02-25-2020, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The first go I had at quitting drinking for a little over a month I was eating healthy and getting rest and staying busy. But the anxiety and depression and other symptoms were pretty bad for me.

I would say to get on this forum as much as possible to get advice, try to avoid situations that would influence you to drink alcohol, and drink plenty of water.

I am still struggling to get past day 1 but it is all about finding what works for you.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me the first month was all about not drinking and building a plan and a support network to help keep me sober.

Everything else kinda fell into place behind that.

Glad to see you back Saoirse

D
Old 02-25-2020, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kjma View Post
Hello and welcome (if you're new here)or back if you aren't. The biggest help for me was posting and reading posts. You're sure to find something that resonates with you here.

Glad you signed in and good for you for already having 4 days under your belt! Way to go!

Thank you, I'm pretty new. Was here in December but only made it 14 days. Hoping to stay strong this time.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The early days are tough Saoirse. It gets better and better. My early days included incredibly selfish focus on me and my sobriety. I made a schedule every morning and scripted every minute of my days, and I stuck to it. I learned to not worry about things like sleep. Tired and clear headed is so preferable to awaking after a drunk and feeling like you might die. I got cleaned up. I did the laundry. I got a haircut. I made medical appointments. I did the dishes. I made my bed every morning. I learned that boredom is an inaccurate label to give to feelings we are not used to like quiet, calm and peace.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mikoss View Post
The first go I had at quitting drinking for a little over a month I was eating healthy and getting rest and staying busy. But the anxiety and depression and other symptoms were pretty bad for me.

I would say to get on this forum as much as possible to get advice, try to avoid situations that would influence you to drink alcohol, and drink plenty of water.

I am still struggling to get past day 1 but it is all about finding what works for you.
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
For me the first month was all about not drinking and building a plan and a support network to help keep me sober.

Everything else kinda fell into place behind that.

Glad to see you back Saoirse

D
Thank you, it's scary but I just don't want to give up. I really want to get beyond this somehow.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
The early days are tough Saoirse. It gets better and better. My early days included incredibly selfish focus on me and my sobriety. I made a schedule every morning and scripted every minute of my days, and I stuck to it. I learned to not worry about things like sleep. Tired and clear headed is so preferable to awaking after a drunk and feeling like you might die. I got cleaned up. I did the laundry. I got a haircut. I made medical appointments. I did the dishes. I made my bed every morning. I learned that boredom is an inaccurate label to give to feelings we are not used to like quiet, calm and peace.
Having a daily schedule sounds like a good plan. I live in a very social home. Always a lot of drinking going on. I just can't be part of it anymore.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Saoirse. Congratulations on reaching Day 4. I had all those symptoms you mentioned. Everything got better as I began to heal & my body adjusted to the changes I was going through.

Staying distracted & busy is key - and you're doing that. I went on many walks. I spent a lot of time here at SR - reading & posting. It calmed me down to know I wasn't alone. We're so glad you're here.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hi Saoirse. Congratulations on reaching Day 4. I had all those symptoms you mentioned. Everything got better as I began to heal & my body adjusted to the changes I was going through.

Staying distracted & busy is key - and you're doing that. I went on many walks. I spent a lot of time here at SR - reading & posting. It calmed me down to know I wasn't alone. We're so glad you're here.
Thank you. Have you been sober a long time? I hope somewhere in my future the struggle is finally gone.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Saoirse, I drank 30 yrs. & am now sober 12 yrs. I wish it hadn't taken me so long to admit I was out of control. I'm so glad you see what needs to happen.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Saoirse, I drank 30 yrs. & am now sober 12 yrs. I wish it hadn't taken me so long to admit I was out of control. I'm so glad you see what needs to happen.
Congratulations!! Very inspiring!
Old 02-25-2020, 07:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Saorsie -- I drank 35 years and now am sober 6. I'm thankful every day to be sober.

I found day 4 actually the hardest. So just keep remembering, you only have to make it to midnight, and you'll be on 5! If you can make it to 5, you can make it for every day, one at a time.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Hi Saorsie -- I drank 35 years and now am sober 6. I'm thankful every day to be sober.

I found day 4 actually the hardest. So just keep remembering, you only have to make it to midnight, and you'll be on 5! If you can make it to 5, you can make it for every day, one at a time.

Wow, thank you!
Made it until midnight. Here goes day 5 🙂
Old 02-25-2020, 10:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 5!! You can do this! There is a lot of good advice and a lot of good information on this site if you explore around.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Coz

Hi Saorsie

Well done on making day 5! You've done 14 before, so you might recall that it does get easier in many ways after day 5 but does still require a good plan on how you will deal with cravings, AV callings and the thinking that just one would be OK.

I'm still in my first month, so easy to recall my first week and the struggle it was to not drink. I'm now on day 27 and it is getting easier as time goes on. I spend lots of time reading threads on this forum and post whenever I am feeling like a drink. It is a distraction for a while and the craving often fades, there is so much support so I know I am not alone in the battle, and it helps me formulate my plan through both the amazing success stories and trying to learn from the hiccups others have faced.

I have huge admiration for those with years of sobriety after some serious drinking, and those that relapse but come back stronger and more determined to make drinking a thing of the past.

Your social house will certainly put temptation in your face often, so make sure you have a good plan on how to deal with others drinking around you, particularly in those first months.

Looking forward to hearing that you are on day 6! The best advice is to take it all a day at a time (or an hour or minute if a day is too daunting).
Old 02-26-2020, 03:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coz View Post
Hi Saorsie

Well done on making day 5! You've done 14 before, so you might recall that it does get easier in many ways after day 5 but does still require a good plan on how you will deal with cravings, AV callings and the thinking that just one would be OK.

I'm still in my first month, so easy to recall my first week and the struggle it was to not drink. I'm now on day 27 and it is getting easier as time goes on. I spend lots of time reading threads on this forum and post whenever I am feeling like a drink. It is a distraction for a while and the craving often fades, there is so much support so I know I am not alone in the battle, and it helps me formulate my plan through both the amazing success stories and trying to learn from the hiccups others have faced.

I have huge admiration for those with years of sobriety after some serious drinking, and those that relapse but come back stronger and more determined to make drinking a thing of the past.

Your social house will certainly put temptation in your face often, so make sure you have a good plan on how to deal with others drinking around you, particularly in those first months.

Looking forward to hearing that you are on day 6! The best advice is to take it all a day at a time (or an hour or minute if a day is too daunting).
Thanks so much for your encouraging words. And Congratulations on day 27!! I've been on that day before too, just not for a long time.
I am trying to staying busy. Going snowshoeing today, yoga, learning to play guitar... trying to stay present not numb. It's going to be hard because they're's nothing like an ice cold beer on a hot summer's day, or a margarita and a plate of nachos with friends.
I just cannot join the drinking club anymore, I'm tired of sitting around making small talk over cocktails. Such a waste of life. I dont want to miss living life to the fullest.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Coz

Wow - you are keeping busy and active! That is great news (it took me a while to get off my butt and start doing things).
I too decided to pick up my guitar for the first time in about 15 years to try again to learn to play. So far, all I have managed is to tune it and learn a few chords.
Summer here so snowshoeing is not an option, although I am only assuming it requires snow?
I agree that there are times when a drink or two has been really enjoyable and I retain some sorrow that I am unable to participate in those enjoyable drinks anymore - one drink for me tends to turn into many drinks followed by hair of the dog in the morning which start the cycle again. But I guess the benefits of being free to live a real and meaningful life out ways the very brief pleasure of a drink.
Love your attitude towards living life to its fullest - a great start to your life changing decision!
Old 02-26-2020, 05:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello Saoirse,

I agree with all of the smart people responding to you. That first month is all about bearing down and getting through 1 day at a time. Getting in a routine, at least for me, is crucial. Check in on the daily threads here and commit to 24 hours. Check in as frequently as you need to. Start making healthy choices in your daily life because they tend to turn into other healthy choices. Above all else, don't lose hope, don't take the easy way out.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I kept relapsing in the first month for some reason, and when that month passed it got much easier. I was just and still am kind to myself, I eat when and what I want, sleep when I want and go for lots of walks xx