Notices

1 year no alcohol, but now addicted to Nicorette

Old 02-25-2020, 07:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Al5

1 year no alcohol, but now addicted to Nicorette

So, almost 1 year ago I quit alcohol (was drinking every day for 15 years) and also quit smoking, moving on to NRT, Nicorette guns and sprays.

But after a year on the NRT I just can't quit, and have been spraying and chewing probably 2 or 3 times the recommended amount. I'm hooked.

Today I tried to quit, lasted 4 hours. It's ridiculous. One thing it does tell me is I 100% CAN NOT try moderating alcohol. Not that I want to, just I don't seem to be able to moderate anything.

Any way, asking anyone here who has had similar addictions to NRT. Did you go cold turkey or cut down and quit?
Old 02-25-2020, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The exact same thing happened to me. I had to force myself to withdraw slowly, although I'm not sure that's the recommended way to do it. Congratulations on the one year without alcohol.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Al5

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
The exact same thing happened to me. I had to force myself to withdraw slowly, although I'm not sure that's the recommended way to do it. Congratulations on the one year without alcohol.
good to know I'm not alone. thanks
Old 02-25-2020, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I recently read somewhere that Nicorette has something like 4x the nicotine as cigarettes (three days free of that nasty monster). If that's true, then no doubt you're addicted. You might try reading Allen Carr's quit smoking book. It's what I read and it mentions not substituting nicotine replacement.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just fix one addiction at a time.

Getting a year up is a huge accomplishment. Still, it's a relatively short time compared with how long most of us drank for. Be patient, take it easy on yourself.

Nicotine is just a mild stimulant, it is not going to ravage your mind and body like booze, although consumption in smoke form isn't good for us, but you are chewing gum and using sprays, so no big deal in my opinion.

Unlike booze, it is quite easy and entirely possible to slowly taper and wean down the nicotine consumption. It just takes a little will power and self discipline.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My advice is to stay on the gum if it helps your mood and mindset. Anything and everything to stay off booze. Congrats on one year. That is amazing!!! When I quit the filthy cigs, I knew nicorette would have made it easier, but like you, I am an addict in all things, so I just bareknuckled my way through it. Good luck AI5
Old 02-25-2020, 09:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel you. I quit smoking almost 2 years ago but am still on the Nic Spray. That said, I can breath now so I'm in a much better place. I'm grateful for it because my lungs were so bad after 30 years of smoking. I haven't had a chest infection since the day I quit.

This is day 55 off the booze. Once I conquer that It'll be time to taper off the nicorette. Really interested to see what responses you get on this because I'm a slave to it right now!

You mentioned 1 year sober like it's no big deal....It's a HUGE deal.
Congratulations!
Old 02-25-2020, 01:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

I managed to quit for 6 months about 15 years ago but like you I was using the nasal spray like it was going out of fashion, I started smoking again anyhow so that’s that!

I would say put sobriety first, for me I tried to do both (quit smokes and alcohol) and constantly relapsed on alcohol. Try reading Gillian Riley’s Stop Smoking book, it’s a different methodology to most and aligns more with what we learn when getting sober so might help? x
Old 02-25-2020, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done on quitting the booze, as we all know it's a tough road, one I'm still struggling with.
I have up cigarettes in June last year, I had been smoking at night whilst drinking and having gum during the day. When I stopped I ended up having 16 x 4mg peices of gum a day and when I eventually gave this up it was worse than quitting the booze, I couldn't sleep, my brain kept having zaps, I had the sweats, it was very unpleasant and it lasted maybe 5 days. I didn't taper down as that doesn't work for me so it was cold turkey from nicotine.
I had a quit coach, do you have that option?
Old 02-25-2020, 03:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've vaped for 7 years. I stepped down from 18 to 3mg and I enjoy it, i have no intention of stopping or going to 0 nic. I love the flavors and that little bit of a nicotine kick.

At least in America the media has spread a lot of nonsense about it to demonize it. The nonsense they come up with amazes me. I use products from reputable vape shops. I dont buy junk from 711 or gas stations or black market garbage. Most of these politicians wouldn't know a box mod from their hand yet they want to dictate what products we can use.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on a year. As far as Nicorette goes - I was in the same boat years ago. Basically quit smoking, but then kept using gum, then lozenges for about 2-3yrs. Pretty expensive habit.

The way I ended up quitting them was slow taper. To get off gum - I would chew the nic gum for a bit until the craving went away (for me it was about 30sec-1min). Then switch to a cinnamon gum that had similar bite and chew. Same with lozenges, where I used TicTacs. As I needed less and less nicotine, I still had to chew on something and that's where the gum with some bite helped.

Give it a shot. Good luck and congrats again!
Old 02-25-2020, 06:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Al5

Originally Posted by Kjma View Post
I recently read somewhere that Nicorette has something like 4x the nicotine as cigarettes (three days free of that nasty monster). If that's true, then no doubt you're addicted. You might try reading Allen Carr's quit smoking book. It's what I read and it mentions not substituting nicotine replacement.
wow, wouldn't suprise me and I spray about 3 sprays every 3 mins. Must be like 100 cigs a day equivalent. Thanks for your reply
Old 02-25-2020, 06:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Al5

Originally Posted by Derringer View Post
Just fix one addiction at a time.

Getting a year up is a huge accomplishment. Still, it's a relatively short time compared with how long most of us drank for. Be patient, take it easy on yourself.

Nicotine is just a mild stimulant, it is not going to ravage your mind and body like booze, although consumption in smoke form isn't good for us, but you are chewing gum and using sprays, so no big deal in my opinion.

Unlike booze, it is quite easy and entirely possible to slowly taper and wean down the nicotine consumption. It just takes a little will power and self discipline.
thanks for your reply. Yeah, I agree but I am not sure how mild it is when it's being abused!!
Old 02-25-2020, 06:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Al5

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
I feel you. I quit smoking almost 2 years ago but am still on the Nic Spray. That said, I can breath now so I'm in a much better place. I'm grateful for it because my lungs were so bad after 30 years of smoking. I haven't had a chest infection since the day I quit.

This is day 55 off the booze. Once I conquer that It'll be time to taper off the nicorette. Really interested to see what responses you get on this because I'm a slave to it right now!

You mentioned 1 year sober like it's no big deal....It's a HUGE deal.
Congratulations!
congrats on day 55. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Al5

Thanks all for your replies. Yes, it's expensive and hard to quit NRT gums etc.

I'm still worried about the amount and just can't seem to taper off or reduce. I just LOVE the nicotine hit so much. But I'm just glad to.not be drinking.

Think I'm going to switch to 1.5mg lozenges and then in 2 weeks, just stop.

Thanks all
Old 02-25-2020, 07:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Have the same problem. Was using the 2mg gum then switched to the lozenge 2mg because of too much chewing. Not ready to quit yet and not sure how to quit?
Old 02-25-2020, 08:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I quit cigarettes 11 years ago. I smoked about a pack day. For me, cold Turkey was the way to go. I had to get the nicotine completely out of my system. The first two weeks were incredibly tough. It got noticeably easier after that. It was probably 9 months until I was fully recovered. I used the website whyquit.com. I highly recommend it.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats on the year!!!!!!!! I never picked up smoking, but my mom was a lifelong addict. She quit when she was diagnosed with stage 2 lung cancer - and got addicted to the gum......she lived a lot longer on the gum than she would have if she kept smoking - guess my point is, work on getting off of it, but it's still much better than a cigarette.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well done on giving up alcohol and hope you can work on the NRT now.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I believe Derringer is correct, one addiction at a time. I relapsed on the drink but am on nicotine lozenges since 2011! I truly don't beat myself up over the latter but must say the intake increases when drinking. I suggest cutting back and/or replacing with mints, tic tacs or dried fruit.