Notices

Support through SR

Old 02-23-2020, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Support through SR

Hi. I've finished 10 days sober now. I kind of have an issue in that I don't have anyone to talk to about recovery and such besides my sis in law. I don't know anyone who's stopped drinking!

Is there any type of one-on-one support through SR? Do you put out a thread that you are looking for this, or is this not really the purpose of the site? And it's more group help?

Thanks! MM
Old 02-23-2020, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello MM.

I only discovered SR on my Day 5, which was about 48 days ago (but who's counting lol).

From what I can tell, there is no "official" position that SR would take on your question, but if there is one, no doubt the officials will let us know.

I know there is private-messaging available, but a member cannot send a private message until the member has posted 15 posts. I see from the number below your name that you have posted 12 times, so you are almost there.

Once you reach that number, I don't see why you couldn't invite some person or people you connect with on SR to PM with you , and see where it goes. I imagine some people might be more open to the idea than others.

In my days here in SobeRlandia I have PM'd a bit with a few people. With one person, after we established a bit of simpatico, we moved to texting, so we sometimes communicate outside the SR site (and I suppose one could move to emailing using an anonymous email if you wanted to keep a bit of a firewall (so to speak) in place).

I'll be curious to see what others say in response to your post.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Personally I know a few people that are recovering alcoholics or people that were alcoholics and quit and relapsed and quit again. I have never really found them all that helpful since in person or on the phone they just tell me that I need to stop drinking which I know but I have never gotten a lot of help from them because I understand they are dealing with their own issues and busy with their life and never really got any personal guidance from them in person or on the phone.

I do have a friend staying with me to look over me but she doesn't give me advice on alcoholism or treatment. She only monitors me and can only be here for support and to try to help me get sober by not getting myself in trouble and making not so good decisions.

But having friends that are recovering alcoholics and not really getting much help from them in person or on the phone is why I came here and there are a lot of helpful people here with a lot of good advice and guidance and support.

As far as one on one support I don't know. I would personally rather post on the forum to get any help or support or advice from anyone that can give it. Like a big group of people offering help instead of just one person. But that is just me.

I have gotten on the chat room part of this site with some members here and there are a lot of nice people I have met in the chat room here.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like what jr67 said.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi MM! Congratulations on 10 days.

I don't speak to anyone in real life about my recovery either - I've been sober over three years now and for me, the support on the threads here at SR has been enough for me. To begin with, I posted in my class thread where I built up close friendships with people at the same stage of recovery as me. When that class thread went quiet, I started posting in the 24 hour thread. I post on this thread everyday and the friendships I've built there are real and extremely important to me. For me, there is great advantage in seeking support from a group. We all live in different time zones but I know there will always be someone here whenever I post. I like the group support structure. We all have good and bad days but we don't all have bad days at the same time. We all take turns to be strong for one another. And I like getting different perspectives on the same issue. Being on SR has given me the opportunity to connect with people I wouldn't have ever met and I've learned so much from each and every one of them. Not just about recovery. About life.

You can certainly and probably will form closer supportive relationships with some members than others but my advice for now would be to join the February class thread (if you haven't already) or the 24 hour thread or start your own thread. Or do all of the above! The more members you can connect with, the more support you will have access to. Good luck
Old 02-23-2020, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi MarleysMama

A s jr mentioned there is the Private Message (PM) function and most of us are open to receiving PMs from each other, particularly if it's to discuss a private or sensitive issue.

I think generally the best support is on the boards tho - that way you get the best of everyone's exerience and advice

Here is that Feb thread link. All you need to do to join is post in it

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-pt-2-a-3.html

D
Old 02-23-2020, 02:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, you can try PMing people who you feel a connection with and see if they respond. Hopefully they will. I have no one in my real life that I discuss alcoholism with either and have depended on support from SR for years.