Notices

Lost it again

Old 02-22-2020, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost it again

I make it to around 3 months every time and then lose it

no real reason to post this but so everybody knows And because now I need a more serious plan

tried to drink “normally” yet again

multiple days of drinking ensued

be careful
Old 02-22-2020, 05:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back GI

what will a 'more serious' plan entail for you?

D
Old 02-22-2020, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by GreatInquiry7 View Post

tried to drink “normally” yet again

Step one of that plan...accept you can never drink again. Normally or any other way.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"Drinking normally" is not a phrase in my vocabulary. It's not in the vocabulary of most people here. Yes, you probably need a more serious plan. It is so easy to fall to the temptation of drinking again after several weeks of not drinking. I've been there! It's almost as if we are so proud of ourselves for quitting for that long that we think we deserve a drink and think we can control it. Start again and start developing a new plan. Post here first before you ever are tempted to drink.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi GreatInquiry. For many years I clung to the fantasy that I could be a social drinker - if only I used enough willpower. Once I finally admitted it was impossible I was able to let go of it & begin healing. Yes, I was resentful & bitter in the beginning - something that had once been fun & relaxing was being taken away from me. But now I don't see it as losing something - rather, regaining control of my life & trusting myself again. After an adjustment period - it's the most wonderful feeling to finally be free.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you are able to come up with a plan that makes sure you get beyond the three months or so.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

From the BIg Book of AA

The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.

We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am 22 months sober. Yesterday I went for lunch with my 2 sisters. One I used to drink with alot. She likes a drink but is not an alcoholic. She had a couple of glasses of wine with her meal. It isn't hard for me anymore to be around alcohol without wanting to drink it but the fleeting thought of that glass of wine looks nice did flicker into my head. However I have to THINK THINK THINK. play the tape forward. My sister drank thimose 2 glasses of wine and got on with her day. If had drank them I would have set off the phenomen of craving and I wouldn't be able to stop. I would have tried to convince my sister to have one more with me or to pop into a pub on the way back, once they had left I would have gone and bought a couple of bottles of wine. I would NOT have come home and packed for my work trip this morning, I would not have cleaned out my giinea pigs and washed all their bedding, I would not have got my chores done at home before work, I would have got wasted and then be coming to now in bed feeling like death, anxious, sweating, probably suicidal as that is how it was for me. I would have phoned in sick today and I would have more than likely continued drinking.

I am an alcoholic. I cannot moderate. I cannot drink safely. It is the firsr drink that does the damage.

It does get easier. I couldn't do anything without a drink. I didn't think I could live without a drink. Alcohol lied to me. I can and the best news is that I want to today. You got to 3 months, you have to keep doing what you are doing to stay sober for those 3 months and when that voice comes to tell you to drink, because it will, then you do everything in your power to put a defense between you and that first drink. That's how it is done.

❤🙏❤
Old 02-22-2020, 08:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Three months isn't really long enough to see all the benefits of sobriety. Healing takes time and by drinking again, you're just beginning the same old misery of early recovery.

One thing I would suggest is that you start practicing gratitude every day, if you're not already. Be grateful that you woke up. And at bedtime, make a list of things you're grateful for over the course of the day.

That's the advice I was given at around 3 months sober when I was complaining that I just wasn't 'feeling it'. It was hard at first but got to be a habit and it was, and still is, tremendously helpful. It also makes me happier, to be grateful for everything and anything.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post6682692 (Good article about gratitude and how it rewards us.)
Old 02-22-2020, 08:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ZIP

^^^ What these folks said.
​​I drank like a fish for decades until I finally quit.
In all those years...and in all my AA meetings, outpatient program therapy and group meetings, and personal addiction study...I have yet to meet ONE person who had a drinking problem "resolved" through moderation.
Most often the wise choice is to make alcohol a part of the past and simply avoid it.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

GreatInquiry7 Don't do this recovery alone.
Rely heavily on who and what supports you. Seek out someone to help. You have much experience to give.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had many relapses after periods of sobriety lasting upwards of 3 months. I lived this cycle for years until I finally realised that retaining any idea that I could still drink normally was a fallacy. I had to live through multiple cycles of abstinence, blow-out, shame and paranoia before it became came clear to me. I think this is the first step, basically - admitting to yourself that you have no power over alcohol and that you have to surrender to recovery. We all have different journeys to get to this stage. The important thing is the realisation.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry for this, your warning helps others though so thanks.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

"Drinking normally" is something we can't do. The sooner you finally realize this, the sooner the pain and misery will finally end.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snitch View Post
However I have to THINK THINK THINK. play the tape forward. My sister drank thimose 2 glasses of wine and got on with her day. If had drank them I would have set off the phenomen of craving and I wouldn't be able to stop. I would have tried to convince my sister to have one more with me or to pop into a pub on the way back, once they had left I would have gone and bought a couple of bottles of wine. I would NOT have come home and packed for my work trip this morning, I would not have cleaned out my giinea pigs and washed all their bedding, I would not have got my chores done at home before work, I would have got wasted and then be coming to now in bed feeling like death, anxious, sweating, probably suicidal as that is how it was for me. I would have phoned in sick today and I would have more than likely continued drinking.

I am an alcoholic. I cannot moderate. I cannot drink safely. It is the firsr drink that does the damage.

❤🙏❤
This really spoke to me. I relate so very much! Thank you for sharing snitch
Old 02-23-2020, 02:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows it going GI?

D
Old 02-23-2020, 02:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm thinking of you too, GI.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad you’re back. What have you decided to add to your plan?
Old 02-24-2020, 03:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hopingwishing View Post
This really spoke to me. I relate so very much! Thank you for sharing snitch
You're welcome 😊