Notices

Not feeling great

Old 02-21-2020, 03:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

Not feeling great

I am sober since January 1! How cliche is that?
I have felt amazing since then. I’ve worked out 6 times a week, ate 95% healthy foods (only 1 “bad” meal a week), and been visiting the forums every day since then.
Unfortunately today I have a really bad headache, and it’s a Friday and I feel like drinking. There’s so many liquor stores here and its right around 0 Celsius which is warm so of course that makes it even more tempting!
Anyways, that’s my story for today.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't drink. You have worked way too hard to get where you are now. Congratulations, by the way. Do something. Anything. Go to a movie. Watch TV. Read a book. Do whatever you did last Friday evening.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Drinkings no good for headaches

It took me a while to not feel like drinking when I was feeling poorly but now - it's the last thing I'd do.

Take care of your self anxiousrock -= hopefully you'll feel better tomorrow
D
Old 02-21-2020, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there anxious.
This too shall pass
Old 02-21-2020, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm glad you posted. Congrats on your cliche-- you are winning! Don't let this one bad day send you back to drinking. It won't cure your headache, may give you a worse one. Just hang tight tonight-- find something to do that doesn't involve alcohol and wake up tomorrow glad you made the right choice.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey, fellow cliche quitter here too! That means we are both on52 days sober. How amazing are we?
Old 02-21-2020, 04:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you're a cliché then I am too
I've been working out like a maniac, eating healthy meals and visiting the forum very often.
I also have a headache and it's the first nice day we've had here in what seems like forever.

I'm going to stay home tonight. Listen to some good music. Go to bed whenever I feel like it and just make the most of it.
I don't need a drink to make things better. When, in fact, it will only make things worse. Much worse.

Stay with me. Lets be sober together. Alcohol is no match for all the support here, so stick around or do something you enjoy.
I'm with you.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

Thanks everyone, and especially those whom are on the same day as me. Made it home from the gym without stopping to get bad food or alcohol so it looks like I’m hopefully in for the night. Healthy meal then a nice shower and tv in bed! What a real treat to enjoy without spending money or doing something i regret. Thanks again for everyone’s support!
Old 02-22-2020, 03:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My sober date is January 1st 2020 too. I felt shaky yesterday on Friday night too. You had the courage to reach out though! I should have done the same. But I managed to kill tome until I went to bed just surfing Netflix. I will not drink with you today!
Old 02-22-2020, 04:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Are you following any kind of method for recovery?
Old 02-22-2020, 04:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I was thinking my craves went away, but yesterday on the way home from work they had manifested.

I thought about hitting an AA meeting but I really needed some sleep. I am on a crazy shift and my sleep is sporadic.

So I got home, ate some leftovers and napped for 1 hour. Thank God i fell asleep.

Glad I didn't drink because I don't drink anymore. I hate the stuff.

It makes me sick in body and mind and alters my ability to generate natural coping mechanisms.

Finally, I am heavily kindled and a relapse might send me into an unrecoverable death spiral. Don't need that.

We here are lucky to be aware.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Are you following any kind of method for recovery?
such as what? I work out 6 times a week plus work 6-7 days a week so that really doesn’t leave me with much time to do much else.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

. woops, double posted.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post

such as what? I work out 6 times a week plus work 6-7 days a week so that really doesn’t leave me with much time to do much else.
When I think about yesterday, (which was Friday since I'm typing this on Saturday) I recognize there were 24 hours in the day. From midnight to 6:30 I was sleeping. I worked from 9am until 8:30pm. I went to bed at about 12:30. I was awake for 17 1/2 hours and for about 11 those 17 I was at work.

Back in my drinking days, I can guarantee I would have easily found a way so squeeeeeeze in 3 to 5 hours of drinking - and some of that would have been DURING work.

Another way to look at it is this - If I was to say sobriety and recovery are important to me. If I were to say they're the most important things in my life....... and then I explained that out of the 17 hours I was awake I devoted 13 minutes to my recovery...... Would my actions indicate I was speaking the truth when I said what was most important to me? When I'm honest with myself about what I'm actually doing, that's when I get to see what my REAL priorities are.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sometimes we can feel down for no apparent reason, non-addicts get down too don't forget. Hopefully this pass soon but drinking certainly won't help matters.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through that craving. I think it's important to add things to your life that support your recovery. Exercise is a good one, so is meditating, reading inspiring books, journaling, connecting with family/friends. Take care of yourself.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
When I think about yesterday, (which was Friday since I'm typing this on Saturday) I recognize there were 24 hours in the day. From midnight to 6:30 I was sleeping. I worked from 9am until 8:30pm. I went to bed at about 12:30. I was awake for 17 1/2 hours and for about 11 those 17 I was at work.

Back in my drinking days, I can guarantee I would have easily found a way so squeeeeeeze in 3 to 5 hours of drinking - and some of that would have been DURING work.

Another way to look at it is this - If I was to say sobriety and recovery are important to me. If I were to say they're the most important things in my life....... and then I explained that out of the 17 hours I was awake I devoted 13 minutes to my recovery...... Would my actions indicate I was speaking the truth when I said what was most important to me? When I'm honest with myself about what I'm actually doing, that's when I get to see what my REAL priorities are.
okay so yesterday I got up at 730am and went to work until 430pm....at the gym after that and didn’t get home until about 7pm.
At that point I ate a snack because i wasn’t feeling good, had a shower and talked to my fiancé and then was literally in bed asleep at 9pm lol because in recovery you can never have too much sleep.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

WoW a lot of Jan. 1st members...guys/gals that is really cool...you all could be the SR brat pack!

Headaches are temporary. We are non-drinkers too, and deal with life without alcohol.

I made it through 2 miserable upper respiratory ailments these past 5 months. Altogether I had some messed up symptoms for 2 months.

HALT is a great cliché you can include in your daily routine.

good nutrition, anger management, fellowship, sleep
Old 02-23-2020, 04:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Samantha

I drank. Sorry guys
Old 02-23-2020, 03:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I drank. Sorry guys
Wish you had posted before you drank, but reading back it seems you had your mind made up about drinking.