Notices

Progress

Old 02-20-2020, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Progress

So last night at 7 pm I hit the 30 day mark of sobriety! I was sitting in my truck waiting to pick up one of my kids from practice and actually did a count down watching the sobriety counter app on my phone. I was happy about achieving it, but my enthusiasm feels a bit tempered. It feels like I shouldn't be super happy about it because this is what I'm supposed to do. Kind of like brushing my teeth, I didn't celebrate after doing that this morning either! But it's not lost on me how good I feel, how clear I feel, and how I have developed a nice routine for myself over the past 30 days that have made it go fast and relatively painless.

Each morning I've been getting up an hour earlier to workout at home. When I get to work the first thing I do is sit down and write out my daily affirmations. The past couple weeks it's just been "I, First Name Last Name, am a sober man". I write that 15 times and then recite it out loud to myself 15 times. I'm big on daily affirmations and repetitive positive self talk. Then I hope on SR and commit to 24 hours, try to read and at the very least hit thank you on other's posts. Then I'm into my day. I might check SR again around noon. Evenings I hit the gym for another run and spend time with my family, read some SR before bed. It's working. Still have AV type thoughts and cravings from time to time, but it's working.

Finally, I posted a thread at the 10 day point and cited how one of the things motivating me the most this time was my 12 year old telling me he was worried and I needed to control my drinking. On the drive home from practice last night I casually mentioned 30 days to him. His response, "Good. Keep it going. If you feel like you want to drink, just have a glass of water. Or just hang out with us and we'll do something." He's obviously been hanging out on this site as well, or been in touch with you guys. I should probably ask him to be my sponsor or ask him to sponsor someone on here LOL. I'm lucky to have him and I don't want to let him or the rest of the family down.

Well have a great day. Keep plugging along. Keep supporting each other.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats, you should be super happy! I dunno how long you'd been drinking for but it's usually a long time round here so getting something like 30 days clean after years of relying on a substance is massive! Nice work
Old 02-20-2020, 05:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep working on your sobriety plan one day at a time.

It keeps getting better and better as the days build up. And at some point you will need to switch to another unit of time to describe your sobriety, like weeks or months. And that will make you feel really good.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow noam congrats!
Your boy is WAY ahead of his years! For that you should be proud.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a wonderful son you have!
and don't overlook your achievemtlent, 30 days is brilliant and some people never manage it, remember that. Well done you!
Old 02-20-2020, 07:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done, Noam! Your son sounds wise beyond his years.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your great milestone and also your new routine. I find your post very useful to incorporate some of it into my own life. Sometimes general ideas for 'a plan' are so many that I feel overwhelmed. Reading a 'day in the life of' someone else is more manageable.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!
Old 02-20-2020, 08:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Noam19 View Post
So last night at 7 pm I hit the 30 day mark of sobriety! I was sitting in my truck waiting to pick up one of my kids from practice and actually did a count down watching the sobriety counter app on my phone. I was happy about achieving it, but my enthusiasm feels a bit tempered. It feels like I shouldn't be super happy about it because this is what I'm supposed to do. Kind of like brushing my teeth, I didn't celebrate after doing that this morning either! But it's not lost on me how good I feel, how clear I feel, and how I have developed a nice routine for myself over the past 30 days that have made it go fast and relatively painless.

Each morning I've been getting up an hour earlier to workout at home. When I get to work the first thing I do is sit down and write out my daily affirmations. The past couple weeks it's just been "I, First Name Last Name, am a sober man". I write that 15 times and then recite it out loud to myself 15 times. I'm big on daily affirmations and repetitive positive self talk. Then I hope on SR and commit to 24 hours, try to read and at the very least hit thank you on other's posts. Then I'm into my day. I might check SR again around noon. Evenings I hit the gym for another run and spend time with my family, read some SR before bed. It's working. Still have AV type thoughts and cravings from time to time, but it's working.

Finally, I posted a thread at the 10 day point and cited how one of the things motivating me the most this time was my 12 year old telling me he was worried and I needed to control my drinking. On the drive home from practice last night I casually mentioned 30 days to him. His response, "Good. Keep it going. If you feel like you want to drink, just have a glass of water. Or just hang out with us and we'll do something." He's obviously been hanging out on this site as well, or been in touch with you guys. I should probably ask him to be my sponsor or ask him to sponsor someone on here LOL. I'm lucky to have him and I don't want to let him or the rest of the family down.

Well have a great day. Keep plugging along. Keep supporting each other.
Hey Noam, thanks for sharing your routine-- guided me to that counting app. I'm all about counting and being proud of myself and you should be also! Way to go on 30!!
Old 02-20-2020, 08:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good job, and stop feeling guilty about doing what you are supposed to do. Stop it right now. If you respond to this, I want a smiley face.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

So happy to read your positive post, Noam! I know my son was disgusted with my drinking - but he was much older before he was able to handle it the way your son has. Congratulations on the improvement in your life. 30 days is wonderful.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"It feels like I shouldn't be super happy about it because this is what I'm supposed to do. Kind of like brushing my teeth, ......."

oh for heavens' sake, Noam, go ahead and be super happy about it!!
it's nothing like brushing teeth. or even flossing!
Old 02-20-2020, 09:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Good job, and stop feeling guilty about doing what you are supposed to do. Stop it right now. If you respond to this, I want a smiley face.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the positive feedback!