Notices

Day 1 again.... sigh

Old 02-11-2020, 10:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 again.... sigh

Though I only had 37 days sober.... planned a nice solo trip to Denver for the weeknd and drank the whole way through..... very disappointed in my self... yet again. Denver was so beautiful on Saturday I wanted to check out the mountains but that never happened everytime I think I'm getting better I do things that scare myself, and confirms I really am sick. Yesterday I checked out of my hotel with a 300.00 room service bill, most of which I spent on drinks.... plus I missed my flight last night because I was hoping around the city drinking poison .... so had to pay to reschedule the flight, plus pay for another hotel room, and missed work this morning..... which probably was better than going in because I felt so terrible this morning I thought I would pass out at the airport... and I reeked! ,all just very unnecessary. Now, I'm broke for the remainder of the week, and gonna be scraping around for gas money until Friday sigh...... I'm gonna make it to a meeting tonight, and get to bed early... I went to one I thought was decent last week.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dang sweetiepie, you fall off the wagon in style. I'm glad you are back with us.
We make such bad decisions when we drink don't we? When I drank, it wasn't just the cost of the booze that hurt (my habit was $20-$40 per day). It was also the bad food ordering decisions, the bad Amazon Prime decisions, the bad REI decisions, and on and on. I was dead broke all of the time. Let's get back on the far more frugal sober train and save some dough and some brain cells and some body parts.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Sweetie

Sounds familiar.

If I can share a couple of things with you about AA that I learnt the hard way.

1) meetings are not a treatment program for alcoholism.

2) if no one at the meetings is talking about the steps, either in sharing or directly to you after the meeting, then no one there has taken them.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
Dang sweetiepie, you fall off the wagon in style. I'm glad you are back with us.
We make such bad decisions when we drink don't we? When I drank, it wasn't just the cost of the booze that hurt (my habit was $20-$40 per day). It was also the bad food ordering decisions, the bad Amazon Prime decisions, the bad REI decisions, and on and on. I was dead broke all of the time. Let's get back on the far more frugal sober train and save some dough and some brain cells and some body parts.
Insanity
Old 02-11-2020, 11:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Derringer View Post
Hi Sweetie

Sounds familiar.

If I can share a couple of things with you about AA that I learnt the hard way.

1) meetings are not a treatment program for alcoholism.

2) if no one at the meetings is talking about the steps, either in sharing or directly to you after the meeting, then no one there has taken them.
Hmm....yeah, this might be very true. I actually have never worked the steps....I go to meetings for a since of community that I feel there with people that understand what it's like to experience alcoholism. I actually do have a copy of the big book..... maybe I should ask for a sponsor.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetiepie32 View Post
Hmm....yeah, this might be very true. I actually have never worked the steps....I go to meetings for a since of community that I feel there with people that understand what it's like to experience alcoholism. I actually do have a copy of the big book..... maybe I should ask for a sponsor.
I read the book after sitting in discussion meetings and war story meetings and after that my reaction was "holy cow 😮 no one has ever said anything like what is in here"

If there are literature based meetings where you are, that would probably be the best place to look for the solution.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sweetiepie, I'm sorry that you drank through your planned trip to Denver. I hope you can come up with some ideas to add to your recovery plan so this doesn't happen again. Good job on coming back to SR.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you drank Sweetie.

I've done similar, but this time think I've cracked the case. And thank goodness, because it is so much better than that madness.

Reached the point where I wanted sobriety more than I wanted to drink, and with no illusions of moderation. HaHa!

When I look back it now seems totally absurd, ridiculous, that I did that to myself. Hope you crack your case wide open too.

I don't attend AA, but do know that in Australia we have "Step Meetings". I'm sure the same would apply in the US.

Best wishes Sweetie.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Sweetiepie,

I’m glad you are back today. I’m sorry you drank on your trip. Just wondering if this was a work or fun trip. If it was for fun, you may want to get a little more sobriety under your belt before heading out on your next adventure, and when you do go have a plan in place for what you’ll do if the thought of drinking pops in your head.

Posting and reading here daily really helps me, maybe spend a little more time reading around on SR.

Glad you’re back.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The relapse actually happens before the alcohol hits the lips. I know many who have planned a trip in early sobriety knowing fully well that they will drink because they think they can get away with it. I would add to your recovery plan something to the effect of no last minute trips in early recovery unless absolutely unavoidable.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi Sweetiepie,

I’m glad you are back today. I’m sorry you drank on your trip. Just wondering if this was a work or fun trip. If it was for fun, you may want to get a little more sobriety under your belt before heading out on your next adventure, and when you do go have a plan in place for what you’ll do if the thought of drinking pops in your head.

Posting and reading here daily really helps me, maybe spend a little more time reading around on SR.

Glad you’re back.
Thanks Delilah, This is def true.... i wasn't ready to take such a trip alone and think I could stay sober. The trip was for fun, and I knew as soon as I made up my mind to take that first drink I didn't stand a chance.... prior to leaving I started to feel lonely for traveling alone so I drank.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberween View Post
The relapse actually happens before the alcohol hits the lips. I know many who have planned a trip in early sobriety knowing fully well that they will drink because they think they can get away with it. I would add to your recovery plan something to the effect of no last minute trips in early recovery unless absolutely unavoidable.
Yea Soberween, looking back I knew I would drink because I didn't have any accountability... just didn't know things would get so outta hand.... think I need to be more realistic in my recovery plan, and keep things simple, for now.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It was also the bad food ordering decisions, the bad Amazon Prime decisions, the bad REI decisions, and on and on. I was dead broke all of the time. Let's get back on the far more frugal sober train and save some dough and some brain cells and some body parts.
That's a perfect description of me when drinking: Food/Amazon Prime/REI. And broke. For Sweetie, I also say let's get back on and more frugal. You need to come back and see the mountains when you are sober.

Do what it takes, just do it!!!
Old 02-11-2020, 06:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow. Your fall off the wagon story is impressive. Everyone here has done something they regret just as much as you sound like you regret your weekend. I've never met anyone that got this right the first time. Learn from it and keep pushing forward.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ZIP

Originally Posted by sweetiepie32 View Post
Thanks Delilah, This is def true.... i wasn't ready to take such a trip alone and think I could stay sober. The trip was for fun, and I knew as soon as I made up my mind to take that first drink I didn't stand a chance.... prior to leaving I started to feel lonely for traveling alone so I drank.
A lot of us have been there.
That first drink...is actually the lead drink. Once you've imbibed in that one---it's all over.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

“I actually have never worked the steps....I go to meetings for a since of community that I feel there with people that understand what it's like to experience alcoholism. “

sweetipie, the sense of community, the fellowship, being understood: all that is helpful and important.
but it is NOT the solution that AA offers for alcoholism. it is mentioned in the book that we have a common solution, a solution to our problem. which is the suggested program.
if people at your meeting focus on the shared experience of living with active alcoholism, then the carrying of “this message”, i.e. sharing of the solution, is not really happening.
in which case you are not getting what might well be what you need.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you made it back sweetiepie

Remember none of us have to drink - you always have at least one alternative - come here instead and let us talk you out of bad ideas

D
Old 02-11-2020, 07:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=HeadEast;7381152]That's a perfect description of me when drinking: Food/Amazon Prime/REI. And broke. For Sweetie, I also say let's get back on and more frugal. You need to come back and see the mountains when you are sober.

Do what it takes, just do it!!

Thank you, Head East... the remorse and inadequacy is really starting to build up again... and convincing me to say just F it!.... but I have to just do it... at all cost. Being sober is really a better life..... everything in life is harder when your drinking. Im definitely gonna go back and stay sober. God first!
Old 02-11-2020, 07:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScaredTexan View Post
Wow. Your fall off the wagon story is impressive. Everyone here has done something they regret just as much as you sound like you regret your weekend. I've never met anyone that got this right the first time. Learn from it and keep pushing forward.
Thank you
Old 02-11-2020, 08:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
“I actually have never worked the steps....I go to meetings for a since of community that I feel there with people that understand what it's like to experience alcoholism. “

sweetipie, the sense of community, the fellowship, being understood: all that is helpful and important.
but it is NOT the solution that AA offers for alcoholism. it is mentioned in the book that we have a common solution, a solution to our problem. which is the suggested program.
if people at your meeting focus on the shared experience of living with active alcoholism, then the carrying of “this message”, i.e. sharing of the solution, is not really happening.
in which case you are not getting what might well be what you need.
I need to work the program.... I've heard it said before. I need to be proactive.... it's easy when you're out of the fire to forget how bad things can get. I'l try again