Notices

So emotional

Old 02-09-2020, 09:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So emotional

I’m on day 41. I can’t say I have any cravings for alcohol but I am having trouble managing my emotions. The only other time I had 41 days sober was 3 years ago and I don’t remember being so emotional.

I yelled at my 9 year old son this morning to hurry up so I could drop him to school. Really yelled.
Then I lost it at work at a colleague. Conversations with my parents, wife and friends hurt, because I tend to think they are neglecting me or taking me for granted.
I cried like a baby when I saw Titanic last week on Netflix.

I am all over the place and I don’t know if it’s sobriety or something else. I don’t want to go to a doctor. All they do (and have done in the past is put me on antidepressants which make me feel foggy and tired).

I want to know if this is normal.. I’ve never been this fragile before.
thanks!
Old 02-09-2020, 09:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well it was normal for me, and I expect a lot of other people too.

It was like, after walling my emotions up for so long, the dam broke and everything came rushing out.

Things will take a little while to find their normal level again - try not to worry too much - and try not to bite too many heads off

D
Old 02-09-2020, 09:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dee! Thank you
Old 02-09-2020, 09:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can say from experience that when I stopped drinking for a little over a month I was very emotional and depressed and full of anxiety. I relapsed recently but when I was not drinking I would go into deep states of nervousness and depression and then come out of it and then back into it. Not to mention my OCD disorder amplified and got worse.

Then I tried an antidepressant for depression and anxiety and insomnia used to help treat people recovering from alcohol dependence. Some people use it to sleep better. Trazadone hydrochloride. Taking 50mg and then 100 mg and bumping up to 150 mg. It helped some but just made me feel very dizzy and sleepy and nauseated.

Then I relapsed because I was slowly using cocaine again in small doses to help with depression and anxiety just to have a little relief and then drinking again and everything just went downhill very fast and now I am a little more than 48 hours sober and although the depression and crying and anxiety is still there I am just trying to cope with it and thankfully I am here which is helping a lot.

With me it comes and goes. I feel okay for a few hours and then the depression and anxiety hits me and lasts a bit and then goes away and comes back. Only this time I refuse to do cocaine or alcohol anymore because the comedown only amplifies depression and anxiety and paranoia and nervousness.

Now I try a quite place in my house to relax, soft lighting, eating and drinking water, trying to avoid going out as much as possible to avoid any negative influences that will lead me to drink again, and having a positive environment like the people here to talk to and get advice and get through these times of trying to recover and stay sober.

And it is helping with depression and anxiety just to have people to talk to. For me it helps a lot.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was emotional, but I never yelled at my son or lost it with a colleague at work. I don't at all think that is normal.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I personally am more of a calm person that doesn't yell at people or lash out at people or get angry but in the past yes I have yelled at a family member and coworker out of frustration. The coworker was because of a misunderstanding that I got so frustrated that I raised my voice. Not so much yelling but my tone changed and I was angry but I was drinking at that time and that coworker I strongly believe was drinking as well and on substances too. So two people both drinking at work didn't go well. So I just avoided that coworker as long as we both stayed in our separate offices at work.

The family member I did yell at. I yelled out of frustration that this family member did not understand me or what I was going through. And I was drinking at the time. And my anger was due to the fact that I just could not understand why this family member would just criticize me after explaining to them what I was going through and my situation which led me to drink even more out of guilt and frustration.

After that I never yelled at or got angry again apart from those two instances. I just drank myself into more of an abyss.

But when not drinking yes I was very emotional and I still am. Not angry or wanting to yell or argue but just crying and depression and anxiety and OCD and nervousness. But I am dealing with it a day at a time.

I suppose everybody deals with things differently. Some people yell, some people throw and break things, some people drink, some take a pill, some do substances, some listen to loud music or go to a gym to blow off steam or both, but whatever the case may be it is just trying to channel those feelings into doing something positive I suppose like exercise, yoga, meditation, eating healthy, reading a book, or doing a hobby we enjoy.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you, I need to get back to relaxation exercises.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Free at last!

I am on 41 days Clarkkent and have been feeling all the emotions that you have, including flaring up at people a few times. I have to really put work into taking some deep breaths and practice meditation/mindfulness to keep my head in a calm state when the mind starts chattering and craving.

Well done and be proud of what you have achieved! And remember that what ever you feel now would be a lot worse if you were drinking. We just have to allow plenty of time to heal and get through the tough early times.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm with Dee here. It was absolutely an up and down process for me. I've always been a "sensitive" person prone to mainly joy but certainly frustration. Typically not true anger, once sober, but oh YES irrational irritability and tears. Which, from a lot of observation of others, is indeed pretty normal. Whether we express it externally or not, the feelings are often a big part of us stabilizing to a new normal.

I recall getting mad at my mom one day a couple months in. She was going a different route to take me to an AA meeting, compared to the one I wanted. So ridiculous! I recall about 4 mo being irritable for about a wk, for no really identifiable reason.

We need to learn how to express our frustrations constructively, as well as pause - "practice the pause" is something I was taught - so we can identify what the emotion actually is in the first place.

You are doing great asking! And you are very early days in sobriety. This whole thing isn't a linear process, physically or emotionally. Don't drink. Learning what AA calls "ongoing amends" became my way of handling stuff I did that wasn't nice/thoughtful/whatever - owning up to it quickly, basically.

Glad you are here.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You kick back and let all of those emotions come out. As the highs and lows leave your body you will start to normalize over time. It is very normal I think. Watch the yelling if you can. Harmful to relationships of course.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I still get overly emotional but since it has been happening consistently for a long time without booze, I am used to it.

It took a long time to learn how to live without booze.

Exercise is my new addiction. The natural high lasts a long time.

Plus, any mental problem I have vanishes after a few minutes under physical stress.

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you August, Surrendered and D122y!
Old 02-10-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Clark - I just popped back in bc I thought of this! Especially when I was under 6 mo sober, I would start to get this ramped up feeling in my chest. I realized it was a sign of anxiety and then it was a good cue to take my medicine. I also learned that counting breaths in and out was a good technique. I don't know about you but I'm one who tends to hold my breath and not realize it, and even now (almost 4 yr) I've had occasions where literally counting in and out for 10 counts or 10 min (one time, for real!) slows everything down including my reaction time.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can relate to the feelings of not being in control of one's emotions during early sobriety. I felt exactly the same way a few months in. I think being sober awakens one's emotional state and we have to process life without a drunken emotional shield.

What I would say is that it works both ways, e.g. we are more aware of the challenging emotions and have to deal with these without sinking into a bottle of booze, but on the other hand, we are also more aware of the nice ones, too, so can cherish these properly and really enjoy them.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:55 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee, and many of the above. I had been avoiding my emotions for so long with alcohol, that when I all of a sudden started to feel them they could throw me for a loop. I needed to find ways to deal with my emotions in a healthy way, for me that was exercise and mindfulness.

I try to walk outdoors each day, the combination of exercise and nature is very calming and therapeutic for me. I have also worked on mindfulness, and continue to do this. There are some great apps and you tube videos about mindfulness and remaining presets, sometimes just taking s few minutes to breathe helps.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

As others have said, this is normal in early recovery because we are often ill-equipped to deal with emotions. Try to be patient with yourself. For feelings like anger, it might help to exercise regularly.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Clarkkent, first off congrats on 41 days! I'm on day 6 so have a little ways to get where you are but looking forward to the milestone. As far as your emotions I think it is totally normal. Your neurotransmitters are getting back to a more normal state (without ramped up GABA due to the alcohol) and this takes time. The higher GABA levels make us numb to pretty much everything and when it wanes, all those emotions deep down come up. I've been anxious a lot myself since I've quit, partially due to no alcohol but also due to my natural anxiety. In my personal experience it does improve dramatically as you get more days under your belt. Are you sleeping ok? For me that makes a huge difference in recovery. Hang in there!
Old 02-10-2020, 01:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was extremely emotionally around days 30-45. Crying fits, getting angry with people. I'm probably emotional anyway but this was extreme.

I'm still a bit irritable... Day 59 now. Emotions have settled down a lot... I'm meditating daily and relaxing as best I can.

I'm sure your emotions will settle down too.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

As my sponsor says, Cut yourself some slack, you have been soaked in alcohol for a really really really long time. Of course you will not be perfect emotionally. The trick is learning and getting the tools to handle these raw emotions. Just feel them, process them. Read the Power of Now, it'll change your world on your emotions and thoughts.

We have a thinking problem that we drank over. That we drank at. You cannot expect your mind to fall into peace this quickly, there is work to do.

Do it, I believe in you.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

How's it going clark? I know for me that some days feel like they are all bad, then tomorrow and a different mood or mindset comes faster than I thought. Keep going!